DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie planning to fly above sea

William Stinessen

Reactions
Being a newbie and first time drone flier from Norway, with a Mavic Pro purchased less than a week ago, I have only been airborn a couple of times, in beginners mode of course! Age (66) has learned me to read manuals etc before the equipment emits smoke :) And I am impressed by all the experience the MP community shares on the net and in videos, and especially on DJI Mavic Drone Forum.

Since the purchase was ignited by making video of myself when we get closer to the summer, cruising in a wooden 23’ boat, between the beautiful islands west of Norway, - I have understood that flying MP above the the sea, possibly as low as 10 feet, is not a straightforward matter. I understand that the downward looking sensors, who secure an impressive stability elsewhere, may/will be tricked by the nature of sea surface, and should be turned off. As far as I can see (from DJI GO4 instructions) there are 3 parameters relevant: Vision Positioning, Landing Protection and Precision Landing. Question is, which of these should be turned off? I understand drifting must be expected, also sudden descent? How to minimise?

I guess take off will be straight forward, from the engine compartment top. But wonder if safe landing can be achieved by hovering above/next to myself (in the boat), and grabbing the MP by hand, and left throttle down to stop props. I have seen a video demonstrating such a technique as safe and straight forward, but on a field.

And as an extra precaution I wonder if styrofoam floaters that I have seen on the net (made for MP) can be useful. Has anyone any experience/knowledge of such a device?

In the meantime I know I have a lot of training to do!

Being a newbie and first time drone flier from Norway, with a Mavic Pro purchased less than a week ago, I have only been airborn a couple of times, in beginners mode of course! Age (66) has learned me to read manuals etc before the equipment emits smoke :) And I am impressed by all the experience the MP community shares on the net and in videos, and especially on DJI Mavic Drone Forum.

Since the purchase was ignited by making video of myself when we get closer to the summer, cruising in a wooden 23’ boat, between the beautiful islands west of Norway, - I have understood that flying MP above the the sea, possibly as low as 10 feet, is not a straightforward matter. I understand that the downward looking sensors, who secure an impressive stability elsewhere, may/will be tricked by the nature of sea surface, and should be turned off. As far as I can see (from DJI GO4 instructions) there are 3 parameters relevant: Vision Positioning, Landing Protection and Precision Landing. Question is, which of these should be turned off? I understand drifting must be expected, also sudden descent? How to minimise?

I guess take off will be straight forward, from the engine compartment top. But wonder if safe landing can be achieved by hovering above/next to myself (in the boat), and grabbing the MP by hand, and left throttle down to stop props. I have seen a video demonstrating such a technique as safe and straight forward, but on a field.

And as an extra precaution I wonder if styrofoam floaters that I have seen on the net (made for MP) can be useful. Has anyone any experience/knowledge of such a device?

In the meantime I know I have a lot of training to do!
i hope you have good sturdy legs to try a catch on a boat,i wouldnt dare try it but id say your landing sensors are all that needs disabled.

I have launched and landed mine from my boat several times. This was mostly in inlets and bays, maybe sea state 2 at most.

It doesn't seem to matter much whether the vision system is left on or not, and I actually think it behaves better with it on if you get within a couple of meters of the surface. Either way you want to keep it in sight if you'll be close to the surface as it doesn't hold altitude well and often times the controller reports an inaccurate one.

I had the drone take off my boat only once because the sensors gave me false signal problems during the landing. the MP detected obstacles and kept on rising to avoid them instead of going down. Furthermore, with the movement of the boat the take-off point is distorted and the RTH function does not work well. For subsequent flights I preferred to leave and land from the beach

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arm1