DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie Question

Ash9

Reactions
Hi guys,
I'm thinking of buying the mavic and have a couple of questions for you, as I don't want to make a £1000 mistake. I've never owned or flown a drone before, but been thinking about buying one for a while and decided on the mavic. Couple questions for you guys:

1) should I buy a cheaper drone first, to learn how to fly them or jump straight in with the mavic?

2) when connected to your phone, how do you avoid phone calls or notifications from interrupting your flight? Is is best to buy another phone / iPad to use just with mavic so you don't get any interruptions?

3) is it worth it?

Thanks for any device guys.

should I buy a cheaper drone first, to learn how to fly them or jump straight in with the mavic?
None of the cheaper drones fly like Mavic. You'll be better off by flying in beginner mode in a wide open location that's free of all obstacles. If there is nothing to crash into, then it'll be pretty tough to crash your Mavic.

when connected to your phone, how do you avoid phone calls or notifications from interrupting your flight?
Fly in airplane mode.

is it worth it?
For me? I love it! For you? Only you can decide.

Reactions: Michael Ainsworth
Hi Ash9 welcome.
I am also a newbie but have operated RC models in the past.
My answers would be only my opinion but here they are.
1) Mavic is easy to fly as a beginner as long as you learn how it all works, has a beginner mode which restricts and simplifies its flying. You could also get a cheap toy drone just to show the difference between the two.

2) switch phone to airplane mode, no calls coming in.

3) Depends on what you want but yes. Easy to carry, good flight time, good video / photo.

Just be careful, read up here on everything, watch YouTube on sensible drone topics.
Don't just get it charge the battery then try to fly like a Pro straight away.

I have flown other entry level drones. No two fly alike. To me the more you spend the better the experience.

How does a cheap car drive compared against a BMW. I think you can agree no comparison. I've bought 4 drones. The first $50 the second $ 75 the third $175 the last 1000. I wish I took all the money spent on the first 3 toward the last one. It the tits.

Reactions: TrayBoz
1) I jumped straight in with the Mavic, spent a bit of time reading up on common pilot errors then took the Mavic out to a wide open area in beginner mode and spent time practicing with it. I've had no issues or crashes with the Mavic and don't regret going with the Mavic straight away

2) You can see how you get on, I use an older phone that's been wiped and just has DJI Go 4 on it to minimise potential issues

3) I wasn't sure how much use I'd get out of a drone but so far I'm really pleased with the Mavic, the small size is superb as it means I can easily take it with me when cycling, dog walking or visiting places. It's a fun little drone to fly and it's great to see places I've been many times from a different angle.

Getting calls on my iPhone doesn't cause any issue other than being annoying. Let go of the controls and the Mavic will hover. Decline the call, switch back to the app and you're back in business.

I put mine on do not disturb and I can still have maps and don't have to cash them on the phone

I bought a cheap drone to practice on just before I bought my mavic. Nothing but aggravation. Went straight into the mavic in beginners mode and love it. I also have an android phone and it seemed that dji is favorable to apple, so I bought an ipad mini2 just for the mavic.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman