DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie...Unpacking my MP now

Burgtrekker

Reactions
Hey everyone,

Just got my MP today newbie to the drone scene, but very excited. If anyone has any advice or tricks that will help me out I would be forever in your debt.
In the North East Kingdom of the United States here cant wait to see what this drone can do I suspect some amazing sights for sure.
Ok, wish me luck I hope I don't crash it just yet...........

Welcome to MavicPilots! I always advise getting a second, cheap drone (like the Syma X5) to fly on the side/indoors to help sharpen your flying skills! Great way to get some extra flight time and may save your Mavic some pain! -CF

Do a search for new Mavic owners threads on here. There are tons of them.

Study and enjoy!

I'm fairly new too. My advice is take things slowly. Get used to the sticks. Keep the drone within sight. If you lose sight of it against the background, don't panic. Just stop and it won't go anywhere.

Enjoy.

Oh man, how cool!
My tips; be patient, keep it in beginner mode for a couple of flights and fly it alone until you know what you can and what you can't do. Having friends around will a)distract you and b) might seduce you into doing things you're not ready for yet. Remain focussed and calm... You'll be in for a treat! Flying the mavic is such a joy and as an addition, it gives you these wonderful images back. Dont worry too much about image quality in the beginning.... Pfff in the end there's only one thing: enjoy it, but take your time, so you can keep enjoying it!

Couple time sensitive items - make sure to register your Mavic with FAA, and consider adding DJI Care Refresh...I think you have 48 hours from activation if you want it.

I'm into mine for about a week now. I was scared to death but now I'm doing sport mode and sideways flying and all kinds of stuff. Don't take too many chances as she's a very expensive little girl. I got a little too close to a tree and got a cut in a prop but I did not wreck

My advice would be to not fly around people. Friends or strangers....theyll goad you into a situation youre not ready for. Like "lets see how high it goes" or "How fast does it go compared to that train?"

A successful flight for me is one where I walk away with a completely functioning MP.

Reactions: JoostGT3
My advice would be to not fly around people. Friends or strangers....theyll goad you into a situation youre not ready for. Like "lets see how high it goes" or "How fast does it go compared to that train?"

A successful flight for me is one where I walk away with a completely functioning MP.

I agree

+1 on keeping it in beginner mode for a while. It is so calm, and sedate in this mode, and it effectively places you in a 30m bubble. So that should keep you nice and safe whilst you build up your knowledge and confidence :)

Reactions: Knight Hawk
Fly it high like around 40m to 50m and keep your Mavic in LOS until you feel confident enough to fly and rely on the screen on your phone.

at that height, your mavic should be safe from hitting trees or small houses so you can get used to the controls and the feel of the Mavic without
the fear of it crashing into something.

The Mavic is a beauty in the sky, fly safe with it
:)

Fly it high like around 40m to 50m and keep your Mavic in LOS until you feel confident enough to fly and rely on the screen on your phone.

at that height, your mavic should be safe from hitting trees or small houses so you can get used to the controls and the feel of the Mavic without
the fear of it crashing into something.

The Mavic is a beauty in the sky, fly safe with it

I know you're right about this, but after a month with my Mavic,and 36 flights in huge open areas, I'm struggling to fly above 25ft. I've been to 40ft a couple of times, and in a giddy moment, rose to 50ft for a few seconds. I know there's less chance of having any problems up there, except a few birds seem to react to it, but I still don't feel comfortable with it. I spend most of my time flying at 10-15ft trying to get used to the sticks, using two sticks at the same time to make it fly in curves and circles etc. But height is still a serious problem for me right now.

Reactions: Cerberus
I know you're right about this, but after a month with my Mavic,and 36 flights in huge open areas, I'm struggling to fly above 25ft. I've been to 40ft a couple of times, and in a giddy moment, rose to 50ft for a few seconds. I know there's less chance of having any problems up there, except a few birds seem to react to it, but I still don't feel comfortable with it. I spend most of my time flying at 10-15ft trying to get used to the sticks, using two sticks at the same time to make it fly in curves and circles etc. But height is still a serious problem for me right now.
The first time I took mine up to 90m I thought my heart9was going to jump out of my chest. Took me.over an hour for the adrenaline rush to slow. Now I am quite comfortable going to the full 120m (400ft).
I would still.agree with earlier posts to take it easy (I went straight up and straight down lots of times first)
I would also agree to the cheaper bird to practice with.
But enjoy! Amazing machine.

Reactions: Huddy

Trust me.. I believe we all been through this, especially if the Mavic is our first drone.

Height and distance didn't bother me at first, but flying the mavic way out of my sight got my heart pumping..
like in serious mode... I would think I accidentally taken ecstasy pills before I fly the Mavic.. the first few times, it felt like my heart was going
to pop out of my chest so I quickly turned my Mavic around until it is back in LOS.. lol..

But I have around 70 to 80 flight times on my mavic now so I sometimes fly off around 1000 to 1500 meters away and
enjoyed it immensely without the heart thumping against my chest cavity syndrome.. haha

so long story short... don't sweat it, just fly it more times, enjoy the feel of it... and when you feel like you are confident enough,
fly it slightly further and higher and work yourself up from there... If I can do it, you can...

so believe in yourself and your Mavic.. it is a remarkably obedient machine if you fly it right..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan