DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie...Unpacking my MP now

Thanks Cerberus. It's encouraging to know others have gone through the same feelings. I'm usually relaxed and confident around new tech and machinery. I suppose I need to get the control of the drone embedded into my muscle-memory, the same as I've done for driving my car or riding a bike. It's all about feeling directly connected to the drone, and that takes time.

Reactions: flipf and Cerberus
I know you're right about this, but after a month with my Mavic,and 36 flights in huge open areas, I'm struggling to fly above 25ft. I've been to 40ft a couple of times, and in a giddy moment, rose to 50ft for a few seconds. I know there's less chance of having any problems up there, except a few birds seem to react to it, but I still don't feel comfortable with it. I spend most of my time flying at 10-15ft trying to get used to the sticks, using two sticks at the same time to make it fly in curves and circles etc. But height is still a serious problem for me right now.

I wouldn't worry too much about height. I used to do a lot of paragliding, and you will often hear that the sky doesn't hurt any where near as much as the ground ;)

I know you're right about this, but after a month with my Mavic,and 36 flights in huge open areas, I'm struggling to fly above 25ft. I've been to 40ft a couple of times, and in a giddy moment, rose to 50ft for a few seconds. I know there's less chance of having any problems up there, except a few birds seem to react to it, but I still don't feel comfortable with it. I spend most of my time flying at 10-15ft trying to get used to the sticks, using two sticks at the same time to make it fly in curves and circles etc. But height is still a serious problem for me right now.

Do this. Take off, UP Left stick. Don't touch the right one. Do it until she speaks to you "Maximum flight altitude has been reached". Use left stick to rotate in place, spend a few minutes, then land. It will have drifted a little so watch on the way down if there is anything near you.

In my case, I have about a 40 foot circle above me that I have to escape from and other than flying around a little in my backyard, I have to fly at a minimum of 100feet or Mavic is going to get in a tree. Worse still, there's a ridge behind my house that rises another 250ft and if I fly 500 feet in that direction, I need to be over 350 feet or I'm into the trees again. Mavic is a champ at heights...don't fret it just be aware of the wind.

Thanks Malavic. Before I bought the drone, I'd imagined the first thing I'd do is take it straight up to maximum height. But it's proving more difficult than I'd imagined. I haven't had a day when the wind speed has been below 12mph, and that's probably making me feel nervous. I know the Mavic can easily cope with that, but the problem is I can't. Not yet. I'll get there. Thanks for the advice.

Thanks Cerberus. It's encouraging to know others have gone through the same feelings. I'm usually relaxed and confident around new tech and machinery. I suppose I need to get the control of the drone embedded into my muscle-memory, the same as I've done for driving my car or riding a bike. It's all about feeling directly connected to the drone, and that takes time.

You'r welcome..

and you can always come here to chat with us if there is something you don't understand or need more explanation..

lots of cool guys here... :) so don't be afraid to ask..

p. s:- you named your Bird yet? :)

I think I've named it "Mavic". I might have to rename it. Whirlybird sounds good.

You?

Reactions: Cerberus
Thanks Malavic. Before I bought the drone, I'd imagined the first thing I'd do is take it straight up to maximum height. But it's proving more difficult than I'd imagined. I haven't had a day when the wind speed has been below 12mph, and that's probably making me feel nervous. I know the Mavic can easily cope with that, but the problem is I can't. Not yet. I'll get there. Thanks for the advice.

Several weeks ago, I was on my deck, and it was a little breezy. I was planning on going over the ridge and shooting a pond that's on the other side. I sent Mavic up to 380 aimed that direction and forward stick...it ain't moving. WTF? So I flipped it into sport and forward sticked for about 5 seconds and hit 17mph. I then Back Sticked to me for about 5 seconds....43mph. So I abandoned mission for the day :). It was in the slip stream in P-Mode and holding position with 20-25mph winds. heh. It was probably just at the limit for that mode, whatever that is.

Reactions: Huddy
It's good to be cautious, the wind at 400ft could easily be twice what it is at ground level. Whenever it's windy, there's two things you can do to reduce the risk - fly upwind from your location so the mavic is being pushed home by the wind rather than away, and secondly launch in an area where there's plenty of obstacle free areas to land downwind of you if you suddenly find yourself being pushed downwind as soon as you gain some height.

Probably the best way to gain confidence is to launch in a wide open area, fly upwind away from yourself a bit at a lower level first, then climb - thay way the worst that can happen is it gets blown back towards you (and a good landing area), and you can descend to get out of the stronger wind.

Reactions: Huddy
You are exactly right ! The last word in your post says it all, Enjoy

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suilven