DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie with a question on RTL and obstacle sensing

Welcome to the fray...

Get yourself a binder, and page protectors. Download and print out your drone’s manual; use double-sided printing for this.

Open up your favorite text application and devise a pre-flight and post-flight checklist; gussy it up how you see fit. Print out the FAA regulations from their site. Find and print your state and local drone laws and ordinances. Add your FAA registration (if required), and TRUST certificate. Belong to the AMA, and local FRIAs, add that information too.

Reconnoiter each location that you plan to fly. Powerlines, wires, poles, signs, traffic, people, flora and fauna. Adjust your drone accordingly (RTH altitude, avoidance settings, max flight altitude etc.)

That binder will be a lifesaver. My binder is an amazing, obnoxiously well organized source of information with oodles of yellow highlighting.

• Wow
Reactions: LoudThunder
I suggest your first flight should be where there are no obstacles such as a football oval ( not when there is a game on !). Hover your drone and practice everything. Check out all the settings and make yourself familiar with it all. You need to practice over and over so that you’re comfortable with the controls. Be aware that smal things like the twigs on branches and power lines may not be noticed by the obstacle avoidance sensors. Be aware of the pitfalls of flying over water too low as the sensors may get confused by the surface of the water and start to land. You have a valuable piece of equipment there so, for peaceful of mind you might consider taking out the DJI insurance.
Good luck with your first flights and I look forward to seeing your videos and photos.

Welcome to the forum! :)

When I push to RTL and during returning to the Home it finds an obstacle, what will happen? Will it Brake there until the battery exhausted or it will actually return to launch?
No, it will not brake and hover if it encounters an obstacle while returning home. It will stop and attempt to ascend until the obstacle is no longer blocking the path back to the home point. And it's best to always set the RTH altitude to a safe altitude before taking off so you don't encounter that scenario.

RTH is quite an involved topic. It would be best to read the Air 3 manual in full to understand how that feature (and others) work before flying.

Here are a few more useful things to get you started:
  • This video covers all the basics of the Air 3.

• Your drone batteries will last longer if you use and maintain them like this.

• The drone records flight data each time you fly. You can decrypt and view those flight logs with these tools.

@anindyanuri

What do you think, did we scare you yet?

I'm sure you got more info then what you expected. :)

BTW, when you go to fly, you don't want to have a back seat pilot.
I really don't think anybody is going disagree with that statement.

Rod ..