DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newly Retired and First Drone Is On The Way

TRUST is new this year (maybe summer) so you are not dumb. Like you, I keep all my documents in my flight case. I have my plastic 107 license, currency certificate, TRUST cert and a copy of my drone registration. In 37 years as a manned aircraft pilot I have never had an FAA "ramp check" (check of all your paperwork). That said I feel all the docs you can have may ease tensions/discussions with law enforcement and "concerned citizens". I love this forum for the time others take to educate me and all others.

Oh, and another thought after re-reading your post...If the neighbors are somewhat reasonable be an ambassador for the drone world. There many threads about the topic under the Search area. Educate them how it all works. Offer them a photo of their home if they would like. That will also show them that the photos are not showing into their bedroom!

I guess I need to explain my "neighbors" comment. I was next door on Friday night, at a post Thanksgiving get together with them and others from the neighborhood, when my wife mentioned that I had bought a drone earlier that day. The reactions were interesting, to say the least. The hosts themselves are very interested in it; in fact, the wife wants to get her own, to take on the many scuba trips they take. I told her AFAIK, drones don't operate underwater, but she was welcome to try. As far as the others worrying about privacy, one has to keep in mind that all of them have a LOT of security cameras installed, a fact that only came to my attention a couple of years ago, when I started to ask around about installing them in our house. I no longer pick my nose when walking the dogs...

I guess I need to explain my "neighbors" comment. I was next door on Friday night, at a post Thanksgiving get together with them and others from the neighborhood, when my wife mentioned that I had bought a drone earlier that day. The reactions were interesting, to say the least. The hosts themselves are very interested in it; in fact, the wife wants to get her own, to take on the many scuba trips they take. I told her AFAIK, drones don't operate underwater, but she was welcome to try. As far as the others worrying about privacy, one has to keep in mind that all of them have a LOT of security cameras installed, a fact that only came to my attention a couple of years ago, when I started to ask around about installing them in our house. I no longer pick my nose when walking the dogs...
Oh come on give them something to talk about. Pick as needed and hopefully dog "ain't" telling!! Ha ha.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum from the dry lakeless hills of Lake City FL. An irony... I know. If lakes grew here as much as your knowledge will, Lake City would become an ocean. ;)

Welcome again!

I bought a Air 2 Fly More package from B&H last Friday, and its getting to the house this Friday. The neighbors are nervous! Looking forward to learning a lot
I bought a Air 2 Fly More package from B&H last Friday, and its getting to the house this Friday. The neighbors are nervous! Looking forward to learning a lot!
Welcome from Long Island NY. FLYSAFE, have fun, Godspeed, Droniac

I bought a Air 2 Fly More package from B&H last Friday, and its getting to the house this Friday. The neighbors are nervous! Looking forward to learning a lot!
Welcome, I retired then got the 107 ticket and am flying for commercial purposes now. It is a great hobby and a breath job. Be careful, there are a lot of rules. I would follow every piece of advice you have received so far. Welcome.

CONGRATULATIONS ON MAKING TO RETIREMENT....ENJOY YOUR TIME and FLYING YOUR DRONE....BE SAFE FLY SMART

@jmdaniel, Welcome to drone flying and to this forum. I've read several other retirement-age men here mention the same surprise I received during a very early drone flight.

I flew the drone up about 30 feet in my front yard and panned around with the camera looking at my house and the leaves accumulated in one of the valleys. Good fun. Then I noticed the image of myself on that cellphone screen and noticed a light colored thing on my head. It was an interesting way to find out about a rather advanced case of thinning hair on top.

I started flying with a Mavic Mini on my 75th birthday. Recently acquired a Mini2. Great retirement hobby. Lots of fund and then get to edit videos for great relaxation and enjoyment. I live near Toronto Canada so I do lots of flying/videos and then spend my winters when I cannot fly editing videos. Wonderful. Welcome to retirement. It is awesome.

Congratulations and welcome aboard.

Welcome to the forum! :)

@jmdaniel, Welcome to drone flying and to this forum. I've read several other retirement-age men here mention the same surprise I received during a very early drone flight.

I flew the drone up about 30 feet in my front yard and panned around with the camera looking at my house and the leaves accumulated in one of the valleys. Good fun. Then I noticed the image of myself on that cellphone screen and noticed a light colored thing on my head. It was an interesting way to find out about a rather advanced case of thinning hair on top.

I think there may be a filter for that? ;)

I started flying with a Mavic Mini on my 75th birthday. Recently acquired a Mini2. Great retirement hobby. Lots of fund and then get to edit videos for great relaxation and enjoyment. I live near Toronto Canada so I do lots of flying/videos and then spend my winters when I cannot fly editing videos. Wonderful. Welcome to retirement. It is awesome.

Thanks! The wifie is from Mississauga originally.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas