DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Night flying set up ?

Nolo

Reactions
I am currently flying night time . No time to much work can people post there set up etc get some ideas [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

89111b82c4d041f4635e18d6ae458cc0.jpg

Reactions: cobra46
Ajjajaja you made me laugh . Was thinking more a led or something

Fyi, FAA regulations restrict flying to daytime hours only. This includes from 30 minute before sunrise to 30 minutes after sunset. It should be obvious, but this is for safety reasons. If you're unable to see your drone, or obstacles around it, it could lead to disaster, as in personal injury, property damage, etc. Fly safe. Have fun.... preferably in that order. [emoji3]

Fyi, FAA regulations restrict flying to daytime hours only. This includes from 30 minute before sunrise to 30 minutes after sunset. It should be obvious, but this is for safety reasons. If you're unable to see your drone, or obstacles around it, it could lead to disaster, as in personal injury, property damage, etc. Fly safe. Have fun.... preferably in that order. [emoji3]

FAA guidelines...

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

FAA guidelines...

My bad. I'm studying Part 107 and in there, they are referred to as regulations. Right now, they call them regulations for commercial pilots, but anyone with half a brain should know they will inevitably extend to hobbyists as well.

Actually, I think there are different rules if you have collision avoidance lights on them, if you have an AMA membership and you are flying under AMA rules some of those trump the other rules. For example, I understand that the 400' altitude limit is not enforced if you are flying in an AMA approved event. Also, Part 107 regulations do not extend to hobbyist, that is why there is an extra test for the 107 certification.

With all that said below is a video of the lighting system I am currently working on. The wire ties are temporary during testing and I also plan to add a couple of UV LEDs facing down to assist the vision system for landing.

Last edited:

When I read the FAA table that shows the different requirements between 'Fly for Fun' and 'Fly for Work', it does not say that the hobbyist can't fly at night. This seems to be one advantage to remaining a hobbyist.

Last edited:
Reactions: LucaB and ATXdrone
It all comes down maintaining visual line of sight. FAA leaves it at that for hobbyists. AMA adds more specifications saying if you do fly at night, you need adequate lighting.

"You can fly at night if you follow AMA’s Safety Code which requires adequate lighting giving the pilot a clear view of the model’s attitude and orientation at all times." -from amablog.modelaircraft.org.

This is true to some extent. But if you want to fly beyond those times you need to have an anti collision light that can be seen at least 3 nautical miles out.

This is true to some extent. But if you want to fly beyond those times you need to have an anti collision light that can be seen at least 3 nautical miles out.
I had seen this on a site called 'dronelaws' as well, but it is a misinterpretation of the regulation (as pointed out in the Part 107 course i'm taking). According to FAA.gov (https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/rin_2120-aj60_clean_signed.pdf), On page 159, section i:

"Daytime Operations Due to the reduced visibility associated with nighttime operations, the NPRM proposed to prohibit the operation of a small UAS outside the hours of official sunrise and sunset. For the reasons discussed below, this rule will maintain the prohibition on nighttime operations but will allow small UAS operations to be conducted during civil twilight if the small unmanned aircraft has lighted anti-collision lighting visible for at least 3 statute miles."

The anti-collision lighting is required for the civil twilight flying (the 30 minutes before sunrise and after sunset). Flying at night beyond that will require a waiver. If anyone has a source from the FAA (not a 3rd party website), that says otherwise, please feel free to share and I will let the course instructor know there is an error in the lesson material. Thanks!

(Note: this is for commercial pilots. AMA members have different rules which was mentioned earlier in the thread).

Last edited:
Night, obstacles difficult to see, whereas Mavic LEDs are very visible. Day, obstacles are very visible, whereas Mavic LEDs are difficult to see.

I am currently flying night time . No time to much work can people post there set up etc get some ideas [emoji51]

I used the old selfie flash for iphone for about $5 there is one for Mavic with Velcro same thing for $16 only less the headset plug sticking out.. good for them. I have 6 of these selfie flash on there they are good for about 45 min of flight between charges.. Ill probably do more in the future as they are very very light weight lights and are very bright.. I will probably use a small bike headlamp with strobe for the top of the drone for the 3 mile visual safety i read that was needed .

a589bd4204fbe7bc62f64270896207b2.jpg

Last edited:
I believe, even if you have the 107 cert., that's all great and dandy for commercial flying,
but for night flying (commercial), you still need another, called the 133 cert?

I believe, even if you have the 107 cert., that's all great and dandy for commercial flying,
but for night flying (commercial), you still need another, called the 133 cert?

If you have your 107 you need to apply for a night waiver (107.29). The 107 regulations state you need anti-collision lighting that is visible for 3SM. You just go thru the waiver process if you want to fly outside of the 30 minutes before/after civil beginning/ending times. Also, if you are going to fly 30 minutes BEFORE civil twilight (until 30 minutes after), you must have anti-collision lighting (but no waiver is required) until you surpass the 30 minute before/after civil twilight begins/ends.

Reactions: Flycaster
I also plan to add a couple of UV LEDs facing down to assist the vision system for landing.

Do you mean IR? I don't think they "see" in UV spectrum, but most do "see" in IR spectrum. I have some very bright UV flashlights, I'll try the main camera tonight to see if it can register that light. Interesting. I was planning on adding LEDs in a ring around my landing/launch pad. Likely a string of lights I've seen hammockers use.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dseyna