DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Night traffic photos

ezgoer

Reactions
Can anyone tell me how to take a pic above traffic at night so it looks like the lights are just streaks? Do I turn shutter speed way up? Thanks

Reactions: angusc
Way down actually. You want the shutter speed to be several seconds.

Yep, low shutter speed, low ISO. Definitely try tripod mode. Don't fly above the traffic not only because it's a bad idea in general, but especially because at night you have that much more increased chance of a flying related accident happening.

Dang, was hoping this thread would have photos taken that way. If you have some success please share your results!

With the correct camera setting as described above and a good steady hover, you might get the result you want . Any horizontal movement of the aircraft would probably result in motion blur across the whole image. Best case scenario I believe would be fairly short traffic streaks, not the long white and red lines you might be hoping for. I’d be interested in knowing for sure though.

Reactions: bobj151
I actually tried this for the first time yesterday. Was flying around sunset and noticed the shuttertime getting longer quite rapidly.
Took this picture with 3 seconds shuttertime, ISO 100. It's the JPEG the Mavic produces.
full

It wasn't very dark yet, but you can see the lights as lines down the road and at the highway. First few pics came out blurry as the gimbal was still centering itself, so when you want
to take a picture of traffic or anything else at night, make sure to hover for a few seconds prior to taking the picture so the gimbal is completely level and centered.

I would think the shot would benefit from very little wind as well. Don't even bother if it's blowing.

Can anyone tell me how to take a pic above traffic at night so it looks like the lights are just streaks? Do I turn shutter speed way up? Thanks
Thank you for starting this thread, it has given some of us more things to think about and *try!

*Making the slow shutter speed shots and not flying at night and over traffic :) I mean.

Reactions: ezgoer
Quick tip re focussing in the dark: use the digital 2x zoom. Zoom in, focus as best you can (or auto focus if possible), zoom out, record. Don't do this whilst recording, though: the zoom is done by the aircraft and the zoom changes are, therefore, recorded in the footage (lesson learned! ;))

Reactions: Adamcain112
I cant focus for anything at night
All cameras have problems focusing at night.
Max the ISO up so the mavic can see in the dark. Use manual focus and then use focus peaking (red outlines) to confirm focus. Drop ISO back down to 100 and set long exposure. Click away.
Also, make sure its not a windy day. The mavic has to be dead still like a tripod for the exposure time.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaleUt.