DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NO DRONES ALOWED

FortPolkMP

Reactions
This is the local flying field in the southwest suburbs of Chicago. This sign greeted me today. Why, I have no clue.
536ce4239c12d8891ca4443c79051b25.jpg

FAA drone restricted? Wonder why drones would be restricted but not RC airplanes? Classified airspace? National park?

It says FAA drone restricted which means that it might not be a club decision.

FAA drone restricted? Wonder why drones would be restricted but not RC airplanes? Classified airspace? National park?

Attention:
MULTI-ROTORS (drones) ARE PROHIBITED at this flying field by the Forest Preserve District. The use (flying) of Drones, Quads, Multi-rotors, etc. are "Not Allowed" at this location, namely Morrill Meadow (107th & LaGrange Rd) by order of the Cook County Forest Preserve District's new Rules and Regulations.

For a list of approved Drone flying locations in the Cook County Forest Preserve District, please follow this link. Model Airplanes & Drones - Forest Preserves of Cook County

why is not allowed in quotation marks?
Regards,
-d

Reactions: DonB

Probably because drones have the range and are known to fly beyond VLOS

On the plus side of all of this is the fact that the OP can still take his drone out to many places aside from these parks, fly it without having to join a flying club or AMA, and not have to have a runway to take-off. Yes some municipalities are going to go anti-drone by either limiting them as in this case, or taxing them as in Orlando. But we experience so much freedom in the ability to fly where we want, when we want as long as we are responsible, dont violate any laws or harass anyone. This beats the heck out of the days when I had to drive 1 hour to a flying field to fly my Trex heli, get relegated to flying off the end of the runway out of everyone's way, and then get frowned on my all the fixed wing pilots.

Reactions: Blades
I still want to know why "not allowed" is in quotes, semantics are important and there has to be a reason.
Regards,
-d.

If you go to the referred web site you will see they are saying that...

The unregulated launching and landing of Drones on District property may adversely affect the District’s restoration and conservation efforts, the Districts wildlife protection initiatives, and the public. The District has established procedures to help ensure compliance with the District’s mission and those legal obligations and to reduce risks to safety, security and privacy. The District will allow the use of Drones as defined in this Drone Usage Policy (“Policy”).

But, they do offer several other places to drone, and some are only for drones.
Scroll down the page here for the list - Model Airplanes & Drones - Forest Preserves of Cook County

Reactions: LMTLESS and normr
Soon enough you folks south of the 49th will start to see the drastic crap we have to deal with up here in Canada..... A great email from the President of MAAC ( our version of the AMA ) went out after the recent rule changes encouraging all clubs to welcome multi rotor pilots into the fold and my experience is that they are doing just that. There is a sanctioned (air)field about 30 minutes flying time in my full size that allows RC flying on a full scale airfield when a marshal is present so that is a fun option for us. Its a bit gross....

Seems easier to get and carry a firearm than it is to have a drone these days.

Reactions: Robby
Sign of things to come in the Excited States!
You keep preaching gloom & doom within weeks (your words), with no proof or sources. It is clear you are bitter, and I am sorry Canada imposed overly restrictive rules on you and your fellow Canadians but we live in United States. We can appreciate your wanting people to follow the rules as we do too, but your constant posting about it is becoming disruptive on the forum and it must stop. The rules specifically say we are not here to determine or uphold FAA or any other countries rules as that is the responsibility of the operator. Thank you.

I wonder if it's truly an FAA rule or whether they are bluffing. FAA can and will restrict or prohibit in some cases but this smells fishy. The park can control landing and takeoff but does NOT control the airspace. So being outside the park and flying in and out is not something they can control unless they really have the FAA behind it.

I wonder if it's truly an FAA rule or whether they are bluffing. FAA can and will restrict or prohibit in some cases but this smells fishy. The park can control landing and takeoff but does NOT control the airspace. So being outside the park and flying in and out is not something they can control unless they really have the FAA behind it.

I say you should go call their bluff .

Reactions: Lapeer20m
This is a Local Flying Club Field which has their set of rules around their RC Planes & Helicopters, etc.

We have the same thing in San Diego Mission Bay that requires you all these organizations to join to justify their flying club into existence.

This is in no way restrictive of things to come in general.

The Silent Electric Flyers of San Diego have similar restrictions, but what's unique, is they have clearance from the FAA to fly within the 5 miles of San Diego International Airport.

They also have a Drone Racing Park next to their main runway. I flew my MP there and no one questioned my (non)credentials [emoji12]. If you fly safe, no worries. If questioned, plead ignorance. They are all helpful to keep RC Flying a respectable sport[emoji1360]

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronecc