DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NO DRONES ALOWED

Probably because drones have the range and are known to fly beyond VLOS

That would be my guess to. As RC aircraft have a very limited range and no camera so your not likely to let out of VLOS. Drones (Quad copters) have long range and many guys tend to want to fly long range for video and other reasons thereby breaking AMA regulations. I suspect these fields are AMA sanctioned and if quads keep breaking the rules then the field will be shut down. So therefor I suspect the local govt decided to prevent the field from being shut down because of "improper" drone use by just banning them altogether. I know up here in Canada if your on a MAAC sponsored field you have to be a member of MAAC and of PAID member of the club whose field your flying on and obey ALL rules of that field. Sounds like you guys down there are slowly heading for the same rules and regulations we have up here in Canada.

But why the restriction with Drones? You could just as easily fly FPV airplanes and Heli's

But you don't see reports of those doing stupid stuff . I wonder why ??

Most likely because one needs to know how to actually fly and has a lot of time invested to just be careless .

So many drone users simply purchased a automated aircraft from a store and then proceeded to fly it wherever they wanted as if they were entitled to for some reason .

This is a Local Flying Club Field which has their set of rules around their RC Planes & Helicopters, etc.

We have the same thing in San Diego Mission Bay that requires you all these organizations to join to justify their flying club into existence.

This is in no way restrictive of things to come in general.

The Silent Electric Flyers of San Diego have similar restrictions, but what's unique, is they have clearance from the FAA to fly within the 5 miles of San Diego International Airport.

They also have a Drone Racing Park next to their main runway. I flew my MP there and no one questioned my (non)credentials [emoji12]. If you fly safe, no worries. If questioned, plead ignorance. They are all helpful to keep RC Flying a respectable sport[emoji1360]

Actually, the field belongs to Cook County Forest Preserve District and is supported by the tax paying public. The local club rules are posted on their web site and apply to club members. The rules on the posted board at the field were changed only to reflect the prohibition of drones and apply to all fliers using the field.

I can see their point I guess after thinking about it, not wanting drones interfering with scale models that cost thousands of dollars that are always in the air, landing or taking off. I can fly my drone anywhere I want, within the laws, they can't fly their planes just anywhere and those spaces are very limited. The local club is a great organization, great to new pilots, great with the kids and scouts. They were instrumental in petitioning the county to put in a new runway, which is beautiful and well earned as the club has been around since the sixties.

Reactions: Chet Bang
This is the local flying field in the southwest suburbs of Chicago. This sign greeted me today. Why, I have no clue.
536ce4239c12d8891ca4443c79051b25.jpg

My RC flying field prohibits drones too. Probably because drone pilots have a reputation as being yahoos and the fact that it takes absolutely no skill at all to fly a drone. Plus there are too many of them and they are just basically automated flying computers.

I bought a drone for aerial photography and now in Canada, we pretty much can't fly them.

Reputation or not, it's county property funded by taxpayers. Favoring one group over another never turns out well and usually ends up nicely for the plaintiff. This stuff won't change until it's challenged in court. Provided all follow the same rules, this appeares to be a discrimination case to further one group at the expense of another without cause. Either allow all to fly, or shut it down and no one flies. So called "model aircraft" flyers should not be afforded special rights fleeced by the taxpayer. And, those model airplane engines are way too loud and likely threaten the wildlife in the area.

Reputation or not, it's county property funded by taxpayers. Favoring one group over another never turns out well and usually ends up nicely for the plaintiff. This stuff won't change until it's challenged in court. Provided all follow the same rules, this appeares to be a discrimination case to further one group at the expense of another without cause. Either allow all to fly, or shut it down and no one flies. So called "model aircraft" flyers should not be afforded special rights fleeced by the taxpayer. And, those model airplane engines are way too loud and likely threaten the wildlife in the area.

Chill dude. These guys have a small field that they want to use for their hobby. There's a big world out there, just let them be.

Or get your own model plane and join em?

Airmap lists it as part of a National Park. I can't see where a national park has the same boundaries what as shown on Airmap.

My guess is the park was set up for fixed wing craft and don't want to mix the two.

I flew at an rc air park in Huntsville AL and it required AMA membership/insurance. It did have an area for quad copters, but it was meager compared to the fixed wing area.

Reputation or not, it's county property funded by taxpayers. Favoring one group over another never turns out well and usually ends up nicely for the plaintiff.

It usually doesn't work out well for the plaintiff, as they are out a lot of money for lawyers fees and court costs with no change.

There are taxpayer supported soccer fields that don't allow baseball, basketball, or golf. Public dog parks that don't allow sporting activities, and sporting fields that don't allow dogs. Millions of city, county, and state parks that allow certain activities yet limit others. I'd rather not have ATVs drive through my picnic, nor RC cars running in my dog park. Nothing illegal, nothing out of the ordinary, nothing that will raise a brow in court.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rambezito