DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

No Position Hold Mode

Slim.slamma

Premium Pilot
Reactions
First time I've ever noticed this mode with me MP3.
Is this ATTI mode?

Im thinking its just DJI slang term for Hover mode which they might not even have a word for . In other words Hover mode to be sure your setup properly.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

Reactions: Slim.slamma
I'm hoping for little extra tail wind speed!
It drifts slightly more but I wasn't outdoors to fully figure things out yet

I'm hoping for little extra tail wind speed!
It drifts slightly more but I wasn't outdoors to fully figure things out yet
You haven't provided enough information to tell what you asking about.

You haven't provided enough information to tell what you asking about.
Is this NPH mode a new acronym for ATTI mode?
If not, under what conditions would NPH mode be useful to fly in?

Is this NPH mode a new acronym for ATTI mode?
If not, under what conditions would NPH mode be useful to fly in?
It might not be No Position Hold mode.
There probably isn't such a thing.
It might be advising you that the drone isn't in a mode that gives position holding (ie there's no GPS and no VPS), and it's recommending that you use Normal Mode.

I'd need to know more that just the four words at the bottom of the screen message.
What did you do with the drone to get that message to pop up?
What would the top of the screen show if it was visible?

When I power my mavic pro 3 up and pull the sticks back to initiate the motors. I receive that pop up screen with the options

Attachments

• IMG_0418 2.jpeg
    IMG_0418 2.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0417.jpeg
    IMG_0417.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 34
Reactions: mobilehomer
When I power my mavic pro 3 up and pull the sticks back to initiate the motors. I receive that pop up screen with the options
Looks like if you put the controller in Nomal Mode, that message may go away.
Hard to tell, but that slider may not even be fully positioned in Cine mode either which would confuse the controller.

Last edited:
Looks like if you put the controller in Nomal Mode, that message may go away.
Your controller is in Cine mode at the moment.
Same pop up in sports mode. Every time I fire up the drone and pull the sticks back I get that message no matter the location

It might not be No Position Hold mode.
There probably isn't such a thing.
It might be advising you that the drone isn't in a mode that gives position holding (ie there's no GPS and no VPS), and it's recommending that you use Normal Mode.

I'd need to know more that just the four words at the bottom of the screen message.
What did you do with the drone to get that message to pop up?
What would the top of the screen show if it was visible?
This is something new since the last Fly update. It just started on my Classic also. NO explanation from DJI, just the old minor bug fix garbage.

This is something new since the last Fly update. It just started on my Classic also. NO explanation from DJI, just the old minor bug fix garbage.
So maybe it's DJI's way of telling everyone to start up in Normal Mode... then after sats are connected and HP updated in a hover then switch to cine or sport.

it is a fairly recent addition to on screen info, it does it on both my Mini 3 pro and Air 3 ,
it is just a reminder, to A check the props are on correctly ,and B, that regardless of what the position switch is set at on the controller,the drone is always in Normal mode on start up ,it serves as a reminder, to those who may be new to the hobby ,or who havent flown for a long time,

If you look at the video in the photo, he is starting up indoors, so first thought was No GPS lock which would have been ATTI mode, but then is shows 21 SATS. Does it let you scroll down to NPH mode. Maybe it is asking if you want ATTI mode on RTH.

Reactions: Slim.slamma
it is a fairly recent addition to on screen info, it does it on both my Mini 3 pro and Air 3 ,
it is just a reminder, to A check the props are on correctly ,and B, that regardless of what the position switch is set at on the controller,the drone is always in Normal mode on start up ,it serves as a reminder, to those who may be new to the hobby ,or who havent flown for a long time,
I have the air 3 now with RC2, and it shows all updated. Mine doesn't give me that screen when I start up. Although, I never start up indoors and it's always set to Normal Mode unless I am flying and want cine or sport. Always return it to Normal once done flying though

to start up in Normal Mode
I need to check
If you look at the video in the photo, he is starting up indoors, so first thought was No GPS lock which would have been ATTI mode, but then is shows 21 SATS. Does it let you scroll down to NPH mode. Maybe it is asking if you want ATTI mode on RTH.
If I power up and start the motors outdoors it does the same thing as indoors. It’s appears to be a safety prompt.
So during flight I can open settings and turn the mode off. Back to normal flight mode. But I can’t start NPH whilst in flight.
Which is confusing to me as to what purpose this new mode serves

Im thinking its just DJI slang term for Hover mode which they might not even have a word for . In other words Hover mode to be sure your setup properly.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.
That doesn’t really make sense, since you can do settings and setup on the ground and while hovering. Also, it’s “No Position Hold mode”, so hovering and being stable is not what you think of when reading the name of the feature.

Here's some more information on that popup. I've just installed the latest firmware for the Mavic 3 Pro (V.01.01.500) and the Smart Controller Pro (V03.02.700). I had seen this popup with the earlier versions.

I started the drone outdoors and all appeared normal. The popup appeared when the startup command was given, both with 0 satellites and with 12 and a white icon and home point established.

Contrary to the title of the popup, Flight Safety Tips, this is a user input screen rather than just an information screen. It's not simply reminding the user that the drone starts in Normal mode and providing information on the quality of the GPS fix. It requires the user to select either Normal or No Position Hold mode. Presumably, No Position Hold mode is ATTI mode.

The Fly app appears to now allow the user to choose to fly in ATTI mode. (We have gale warnings and extremely gusty strong winds, so I'll have to postpone flying in NPH mode until things settle down.)

The user can select the highlighted Normal mode or No Position Hold mode. If No position Hold mode is selected, a confirmation screen appears.

Screenshot_20240108-105218.png

Screenshot_20240108-105427.png

Ok, so I tried takeoff outside and same process but this time I tried N flight mode on the RC. So, C,N, or Sports modes still same prompt. I couldn’t test fly becauseI need to apply for authorization clearances again.

Attachments

• IMG_0426.jpeg
    IMG_0426.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0425.jpeg
    IMG_0425.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0424.jpeg
    IMG_0424.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0423.jpeg
    IMG_0423.jpeg