DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

No Position Hold Mode

Ok, so I tried takeoff outside and same process but this time I tried N flight mode on the RC. So, C,N, or Sports modes still same prompt. I couldn’t test fly becauseI need to apply for authorization clearances again.
You can save screenshots on the controller using the menu that opens when you swipe down twice on the screen.

Reactions: Slim.slamma
You can save screenshots on the controller using the menu that opens when you swipe down twice on the screen.

My apologies. Apparently my screenshots are stored in the photo gallery but I couldn't locate them. I will figuring that out today!
So, I received flight authorization and took off, absolutely no drift in NPH mode. Rock Solid hover. Video below.
Can't see this mode being ATTI with the drone locked in a hover position.
Hopefully, NPH mode is a useful tool one day

So, I received flight authorization and took off, absolutely no drift in NPH mode. Rock Solid hover. Video below.
Can't see this mode being ATTI with the drone locked in a hover position.
Hopefully, NPH mode is a useful tool one day

I also just tested. I enabled "No Position Hold" mode, then climbed to about 250' to eliminate VPS possibility. Flew straight line, forward, backward, left and right. Just as you, ZERO difference. It held position perfectly and stopped normally. It does NOT enable ATTI. Mavic 3 Classic, RC Pro - both current FW and latest Fly.

I also just tested. I enabled "No Position Hold" mode, then climbed to about 250' to eliminate VPS possibility. Flew straight line, forward, backward, left and right. Just as you, ZERO difference. It held position perfectly and stopped normally. It does NOT enable ATTI. Mavic 3 Classic, RC Pro - both current FW and latest Fly.

So, when the drone was moving and you released that stick, the drone braked and hovered without input from you?

That would seem to indicate that NPH is not ATTI. Could it mean that the vision sensors are switched off?

I did some web searches and found nothing about NPH, other than this discussion. DJI could certainly improve their documentation of Fly app changes.

I'm still unable to fly here because of wind and rain. Gusts to 55 kts are forecast over the water.

So, when the drone was moving and you released that stick, the drone braked and hovered without input from you?

That would seem to indicate that NPH is not ATTI. Could it mean that the vision sensors are switched off?

I did some web searches and found nothing about NPH, other than this discussion. DJI could certainly improve their documentation of Fly app changes.

I'm still unable to fly here because of wind and rain. Gusts to 55 kts are forecast over the water.
Yes. As soon as I released the stick, it stopped. I keep my braking sensitivity set to 100(good compromise between quick and smooth), then I tried at 150. It worked the same as always with either setting. It is absolutely NOT ATTI!! That would be a nice option for some.

I've just flown the Mavic 3 Pro in both Normal and No Position Hold modes as shown in the popup that appears when the motor start command is initiated. I see no difference in the way the drone operates. In NPH mode, it still maintains position as it does in Normal mode.

As @mobilehomer said, the drone brakes normally when the sticks are released. NPH does not mean ATTI.

I don't see anything on the DJI forums that provides any insight into the NPH function, only the same simple statement that the drone can't hover stably in NPH.

Anyone have any insights?

I've just flown the Mavic 3 Pro in both Normal and No Position Hold modes as shown in the popup that appears when the motor start command is initiated. I see no difference in the way the drone operates. In NPH mode, it still maintains position as it does in Normal mode.

As @mobilehomer said, the drone brakes normally when the sticks are released. NPH does not mean ATTI.

I don't see anything on the DJI forums that provides any insight into the NPH function, only the same simple statement that the drone can't hover stably in NPH.

Anyone have any insights?
Perhaps a premature placeholder for a future FW update, enabling ATTI mode?

Perhaps a premature placeholder for a future FW update, enabling ATTI mode?
No ... they explained on their forum ... it's a completely misguided attempt to enhance safety consciousness of flyers.
Nothing to do with actual performance of their drones.

Reactions: mobilehomer
No ... they explained on their forum ... it's a completely misguided attempt to enhance safety consciousness of flyers.
Thanks for ruling out my naive speculation of a method behind their madness!
It's just another boneheaded "enhancement" by DJI, much like hiding the map behind a new opaque gray layer where the max altitude is 500m, just because they added a 1000m layer in the few areas off the grid that are more than 50km from the nearest airport! Only way to see the map through the new gray layer is to turn off all Altitude layers, or keep a finger on the screen at all times!

Reactions: Meta4
Please elaborate.

Here's the only reference I see on the dji forum. Popup after firmware and DJI Fly update

"a pop-up window will prompt you to choose Normal Mode or No Position Hold mode. If you select Normal Mode, the aircraft can hover stably; if you select No Position Hold, the aircraft cannot hover stably,"

They certainly say that there's a difference in performance depending on which setting you choose.

Please elaborate.

Here's the only reference I see on the dji forum. Popup after firmware and DJI Fly update

"a pop-up window will prompt you to choose Normal Mode or No Position Hold mode. If you select Normal Mode, the aircraft can hover stably; if you select No Position Hold, the aircraft cannot hover stably,"

They certainly say that there's a difference in performance depending on which setting you choose.
As you and I have discovered, there is zero difference. Meta4 is correct.

As you and I have discovered, there is zero difference. Meta4 is correct.

I agree that the choice of mode has no apparent effect on the operation of the drone. However, this appears to be more than a safety warning.

The popup requires the user to select a mode in order to proceed. If the user selects NPH mode, there's a note on the main screen and the NPH mode is noted on the Control screen of the settings.

I don't have an explanation and I've seen no difference in performance with the NPH mode. But, there's more to this than just a safety warning.

Screenshot_20240110-121232.png

Screenshot_20240110-121250.png

One of their moderators also commented in this thread:
IMHO, DJI Gamora seems to be parroting a generic boiler plate script response to any thread regarding any changes to the UI design, rather than demonstrating any knowledge or understanding of the reason behind new UI dialog box.

Still potentially up for speculation as to the real reason for its creation, since no safety guidance is included that makes any difference, regardless of which option is selected in the dialog box, as of now…

Clearly, not working as intended, without any change in observed behavior from selecting "no position hold."
=====
DJI Gamora:

"In order to take into account diverse user needs and sufficient safety guidance, we have adjusted the UI design and prompts for users before taking off."
=====
My speculation above, "Perhaps a premature placeholder for a future FW update, enabling ATTI mode?" is still at least a possibility, if the "no position hold" selection is changed in a future FW update to enable ATTI mode. We'll see…

Last edited:
One of their moderators also commented in this thread:
Just two apologies and one "it can't be switched off."

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer