DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

No precision landing on Mavic 2, "removed"

I fully agree with you.
Thank you Hornet1.

I'm used to being criticised/trolled a lot by the typical hobby warriors when I'm talking from my 40+ years of experienced RC piloting and, since 3 years, professional drone operator perspective, that I cannot simply shut off, because it becomes a nature, a habit to mitigate risks and keep control, even if I use the automated systems. But fortunately, and much to my enjoyment, always by the same few people.

Precision landing or any other computer controlled modes of flight are great features to have and nowhere in the manual does it say you have to use them. You can demonstrate to non-dronies the cool things that your bird can do all by itself or do it manually, the bottom line is to have fun. For me, as a newbie, the automatic modes give me something to strive to achieve manually and set me a challenge. If PL comes in, I’ll try it, see how accurate it is and see if I can do it as accurately and as quickly. I’ll treat all the modes as my personal in built flight instructor.
That's a good way to look at it.

G: You are correct that the computers, i.e., Flight Control Computers, IMU’s, FMS’s, and the autopilots they control, are used extensively in Part 121 operations and yes, the OP would be surprised to learn that “the computers” are flying the aircraft most of the time, (at leaast enroute at altitude where is it very difficult to fly the aircraft in the thin air.) That said, the only two operations where humans are not allowed to hand fly the aircraft are CAT II and CAT III ILS approaches where the former goes down to 100’ AGL and the latter to touchdown,

KB

Until them, these skids I've ordered are going to help me grab the thing before it hits something without loosing my fingers. lol

http://www.irepairmd.com/product-page/arris-raptor2-skid-for-the-dji-mavic-2

I've ordered them with their quick release pontoons. :)View attachment 45538

These both work nice and the stability is fine with or without the pontoons in flight. But I'm sure the range is reduced drastically with pontoons especially not being aerodynamic in the least. I never did a range test but how could it not be. I fly with the skids only (no pontoons) over water with two 'getter back' units strapped to the skids. Looks like missiles ready to fire. The reason no pontoons is because I really have no need to land on water and frankly it flies slower. And if a mishap occurs with pontoons over water, well it's going to get wet anyway and I figure 99% in upside down. The pontoons would keep it floating on the surface of the water, but most likely upside down as the quad is heavy with the center of gravity way off the water. I only control landed it on the water with pontoons once and it was something you felt you really shouldn't be doing. The skids by themselves are really great though for landing in higher grass and they literally weigh almost nothing. I don't generally use them but they are in my flight bag as they only take seconds to install. Here's another thing I do... I fly with a 'Marco Polo' tracker unit velcro'ed to the top of the drone. It works really well if it were ever to go down. I lost a Tello once with a serious fly away and decided if my nice drone ever went nuts, I was definitely going to have a contingency locate plan. This locator unit is very light, fully waterproof, and lasts multiple weeks throwing a signal if it was ever needed. Have fun Elton!

Precision landing or any other computer controlled modes of flight are great features to have and nowhere in the manual does it say you have to use them. You can demonstrate to non-dronies the cool things that your bird can do all by itself or do it manually, the bottom line is to have fun. For me, as a newbie, the automatic modes give me something to strive to achieve manually and set me a challenge. If PL comes in, I’ll try it, see how accurate it is and see if I can do it as accurately and as quickly. I’ll treat all the modes as my personal in built flight instructor.

I love precision landing! It's just fun to see after you've flown for 20 minutes that the visual landing system works so incredibly well! And yes, I have the 'confirm' cancel landing screen ready to tap if as I look straight down at my landing pad something doesn't look perfect. But I rarely ever need to as this Mavic Pro can land on a frigg'in dime. Here's what I do while taking off with PL checked. It auto lifts off and I let it sit up there for 15-20 seconds before touching the sticks. i needs a little time to take pictures and map the area. The thing just lands every time right where it left from give or take 1-2 inches; literally as it never misses the pad with even with one leg off. I manually land 50% of the time but with this coolness factor and me eliminating all my possible mistakes too, it might be safer.

Reactions: beanbubba
And the spark

Anyone who would like their drone in a last ditch scenario to not actually crash

Right, so every takeoff you go to an area with a 5m radius. You completely sweep the area removing even the 2 inch small stones on the floor. You then go out pulling all the long grass, weeds and plants over 1/2 an inch tall. After that you make sure that 5m radius is completely flat, there are no trees anywhere near, no other debris and no wires.
Then you fly.
Do you not see that as somewhat restrictive in terms of site choice and launch location for a "go anywhere" drone?
Because if you DONT do the above and your RC goes down or the somewhere locks the drone will come back and can EASILY damage itself on these obstacles. You may not have the choice of whether to auto land or manually land.

Firstly, the study was widely criticised as being unreliable statistically.

Secondly, there's a reason the most accurate, foul weather precision approaches on commercial aircraft can ONLY be flown on full autopilot. Because they are more accurate and make far fewer mistakes than a human.

Well put. I was just going to say the guy was an idiot. Taking a useful feature away is annoying.

It's coming. In the mean time just try not to break your RC in flight, then theres no issue.

Until them, these skids I've ordered are going to help me grab the thing before it hits something without loosing my fingers. lol

http://www.irepairmd.com/product-page/arris-raptor2-skid-for-the-dji-mavic-2

I've ordered them with their quick release pontoons. :)View attachment 45538
You guys kill me..

Precision landing is pretty cool and I trust it on my Mavic Pro but... I have never really "needed it" To be honest I always enable the feature and have used it but.. need it … NO.

Hell my Phantom 3 lands within about a foot of where I take off just about every time. I don't mean to be rude but.. If you are dumb enough to launch from a precarious location then … you better be ready to fly it back and land it yourself. And for the love of all that is holy stop putting sails on your Mavics.. Just stop.

You guys kill me..

Precision landing is pretty cool and I trust it on my Mavic Pro but... I have never really "needed it" To be honest I always enable the feature and have used it but.. need it … NO.

**** my Phantom 3 lands within about a foot of where I take off just about every time. I don't mean to be rude but.. If you are dumb enough to launch from a precarious location then … you better be ready to fly it back and land it yourself. And for the love of all that is holy stop putting sails on your Mavics.. Just stop.

One definite advantage of precision landing is if you are working from a small pad - precision landing will put it back right in the center of the pad.

One definite advantage of precision landing is if you are working from a small pad - precision landing will put it back right in the center of the pad.
That's a good point. Using it on my Mavic does put it down within inches of where it took off.

Prior to my Mavic.. I owned or still own a P4, P3p (x2), P3a, Typhoon, Xstar…. I was able to land them on my landing pad every single time and I don't consider myself a very good operator. I have never needed a precision landing. I always choose a suitable landing location that is flat with some latitude in the event that I don't have control when it lands. If I'm not in an area suitable for landing, as I described, I hand catch it.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy!

My P3S never landed very far off the mark on an RTH, and it just relied on GPS. My M2Z has missed it by up to 4 feet. But when it works right it is 3-4 inches max

My P3S never landed very far off the mark on an RTH, and it just relied on GPS. My M2Z has missed it by up to 4 feet. But when it works right it is 3-4 inches max

Hi Rug, lots of good stuff on PL in the following post and the consensus is that if you follow the correct procedure, it will always work to within a couple of inches.

Precision Landing At Night?

yeah, I figure I am doing something wrong, but haven't flown it enough to figure out what.

I used it for the first time yesterday - two very PRECISION landings. It is definitely an interesting feature. I was somewhat surprised (if I payed more attention to the manual, I would not have been) that it rose quite high to execute the landing.

For landing, it should just go to your set RTH height.
PS does require ascending straight up for about 10-30ft so the bottom cameras can get a landing site image.

Reactions: ff22
For landing, it should just go to your set RTH height.
PS does require ascending straight up for about 10-30ft so the bottom cameras can get a landing site image.

I just thought of something maybe humorous. If I could launch from my nose while lying down but then had someone else take my place - could the darn thing do facial recognition? :)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d