DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

not flying your UAV

old man mavic

Premium Pilot
Reactions
hi fellow flyers apart from the weather conditions where you are located, are there any local reasons why you might be thinking twice about getting airborne. i ask because of all the negative news about UAVs at the moment have you experienced any anti UAV comments in your local community media.

Reactions: Former Member
Not really, though I am more wary of attracting attention and tend to fly a bit higher than usual.
I took a few A3+ prints of my pics down to the pub yesterday and all the remarks were very complimetary with a lot of suprise at the quality. The occasional 'spying' remarks until they see that the pics are not 'that' detailed. Most of them were just interested in picking out their own houses.

Last edited:
Not really, though I am more wary of attracting attention and tend to fly a bit higher than usual.
I took a few A3+ prints of my pics down to the pub yesterday and all the remarks were very complimetary with a lot of suprise at the quality. The occasional 'spying' remarks until they see that the pics are not 'that' detailed. Most of them were just interested in picking out their own houses.
so to some extent is has caused you to change the way you fly to placate the perception the public has of our hobby

I live in Johannesburg, South Africa. I often see places I would like to fly, but due to high crime rate, the risk is too high of getting robbed...
a very good point and something we should all be aware of flying alone

Well he would spit you out quick then :p
OMM where I am I have no issues other than the weather ,and time to go .
Weather ok I go every morning and evening .

Well he would spit you out quick then :p
OMM where I am I have no issues other than the weather ,and time to go .
Weather ok I go every morning and evening .
yes the weather never thought that much about it till i got a UAV it controls many aspects of our life i guess

I haven't noticed any changes in the behavior of others around where I fly. But I've definitely felt more sensitive and careful in the destinations I pick. I'm into landscapes, so I wasn't really ever flying in questionable spots before, but I head out even farther away from civilization when I fly now. It's definitely my own behavior that's changed.

I haven't noticed any changes in the behavior of others around where I fly. But I've definitely felt more sensitive and careful in the destinations I pick. I'm into landscapes, so I wasn't really ever flying in questionable spots before, but I head out even farther away from civilization when I fly now. It's definitely my own behavior that's changed.
i know what you mean its a shame that we as flyers have to be the ones that make changes because of negative media about drones maybe one day the public will see that they are not the evil things that the media would have us believe

i know what you mean its a shame that we as flyers have to be the ones that make changes because of negative media about drones maybe one day the public will see that they are not the evil things that the media would have us believe

Yup! Makes you wonder if there was this kind of negative sentiment when people started riding bicycles. "Evil two-wheeled contraptions making the streets unsafe for pedestrians and horses!"

Sure enough! Here's an account from the 1870s when bicycles were gaining ground in the UK:

"But critics charged that the pesky velocipede was more likely to attack unsuspecting pedestrians than any human ailment. Groused one newspaper in Hull, "We have again to remark on the growing nuisance of running Velocipedes upon the foot pavements in almost every part of this town." A week later, the newspaper gleefully reported the arrest of one such offender, John Gould. "Upon any further complaints," warned the paper, "the Magistrates are determined to levy the full penalty of five pounds."

From Bicycle: The History by David V. Herlihy, page 36
Bicycle

I live in Johannesburg, South Africa. I often see places I would like to fly, but due to high crime rate, the risk is too high of getting robbed...
Totally agree with you on this one. I now only fly from my house, out of the estate and then over a piece of vacant marsh land. It has become so boring to look at the same stuff every time. No complains from anyone living where i am flying.

Sometimes when in the mountains I hesitate a lot to get airborn: If high mountains are quite closely to the other a lightly changing wind can provoke an effect like a jet nozzle, unpredictable. So it is not weather condition in general but specific conditions in a very small area...

Even after the Gatwick and Heathrow incidents I found that people here in Merseyside took a fairly non interested attitude to my flying. I got a couple of “Jokes” asking my whereabouts following the incidents, I laughed politely and that was it.

Now it’s settled down to generally flying in peace and quiet with just the odd curious question from someone that I’m more than happy to answer.

I’m happy that the Scouse public are fairly down to Earth and the conspiracy theorists predictions of woe have, for me, simply failed to materialise.

Now if we could just do something about the weather!

Even after the Gatwick and Heathrow incidents I found that people here in Merseyside took a fairly non interested attitude to my flying. I got a couple of “Jokes” asking my whereabouts following the incidents, I laughed politely and that was it.

Now it’s settled down to generally flying in peace and quiet with just the odd curious question from someone that I’m more than happy to answer.

I’m happy that the Scouse public are fairly down to Earth and the conspiracy theorists predictions of woe have, for me, simply failed to materialise.

Now if we could just do something about the weather!
I blame brexit. We never used to get weather like this.

I have not been doing any flying lately. It sucks as I miss it and wanted to get a nice picture to enter into the winter picture contest . But things are a tad to cool for these old bones to play outside . My temps have been hanging out at -40
0f99fb2bdbf663d2147f9a668fc43961.jpg
. I took this pic on the way to work this morning

We had heavy thunder storms yesterday and I got flood warnings on my phone, Sunny and windy today but I might put her up to go check and see in my back yard is flooded if its not to windy. Will report back later:cool:

Reactions: mereflyer
For the most part my flying is in the country either my house where there is no one for 5 Km to my south, or at camp where there are only 3 or 4 on the lake.

I've only had one neighbour complain about my flying and that was because he thought my drone was the police spying on him. I didn't offer him a beer and he left shortly after he arrived.
Cheers

Reactions: mereflyer
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer