DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Noticeable difference in quality of these 360 Panos?

Jr. Stafford

Reactions
Been experimenting with 360 panos with my Mavic. I took 2 different ones today, wondering if everyone thinks they look about the same in quality, or is one better?

One is taken with Litchi. You tell the Mavic to take the pics (42 of them for me.), then stitch them together with PTGui. Takes a lot longer to take the pictures.

The other is from a video that I took, spinning the Mavic around several times in tripod mode, changing the elevation of the camera each time. (Much quicker to take the video than the 42 pics.) Then you load into Image Composite Editor and change to a 360 photo.

The biggest difference is that the 42 pic pano ends up being about 56mb after editing in Photoshop. The one taken from the video is only 13mb.

I don't know that I can see much difference in the quality, except that the 42 pic one is a little taller, due to a different crop I think.

Thoughts?

42 pics version: StaffordPanoNov2017

Video extracted version: StaffordVideo360 stitch

Reactions: Pathogen
Both look good. The first one has some horizontal lines in the sky, maybe prop shadows.

Yeah, I seem to get a lot of the prop shadows from time to time.

How did the resolution look? They look pretty similar to me in resolution.....I'm not sure the much easier Video version is any worse than the 42 picture version?

The other is from a video that I took, spinning the Mavic around several times in tripod mode, changing the elevation of the camera each time. (Much quicker to take the video than the 42 pics.) Then you load into Image Composite Editor and change to a 360 photo.

When you use ICE for video ... do you take seperate videos of each elevation .... or just one continuous video changing the elevation after a full rotation?

When you use ICE for video ... do you take seperate videos of each elevation .... or just one continuous video changing the elevation after a full rotation?

That's the first one I ever tried with video, I just done one continuous video changing the elevation each time I spun, and ICE knows what to do with it. I also used 'Tripod' mode to try and get cleaner picture. Seems to work pretty well and a lot faster than taking 42 separate photos.

Last edited:
Great ... I'm going to give this a try tomorrow ... excited ... how many rotations did you do? I'm thinking 5 ... 30 degrees up, horizon, 30 degrees down, 60 degrees down, and 90 degrees down?

Great ... I'm going to give this a try tomorrow ... excited ... how many rotations did you do? I'm thinking 5 ... 30 degrees up, horizon, 30 degrees down, 60 degrees down, and 90 degrees down?

I think I did 4, should have done 5 because I needed more at the top of the video.

Both have sharp areas (probably in the middle of the lens) and not so sharp areas (prob at the edges) but there is surprisingly little difference overall. Maybe the photo is slightly sharper and has more coverage and nice that it includes the sun but given the work involved you have to be happy with the automated vid version.

Reactions: Jr. Stafford
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
espinafre