DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Now... I hate my Mavic

I was having all sorts of problems with my Nexus 5x so I bought a cheap Acer Iconia 780B tablet that works great.

I had problems with my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge (app freezing or shutting down in middle of he flight, very poor transmission signal). That phone was extremely low on free space as well (under 200mb free)... I thought maybe that could have been related and stopped trying to resolve the issues since I was getting a new phone.

Last week, I received my new Samsung Galaxy Note 8 early. I tried it out this morning and had ZERO issues (albeit it barely fits in the controller with the phone case on). It was the best flight I've flown with the Mavic...ever. It reminded me of my P3P days since I never had and signal or app issues with it. I have to sum up the problems with the S7 Edge to be either hardware related, due to the limited free space on that phone, or OS version. The S7 Edge had Android 7; The Note has Android 7.1.1. The Note 8 is otherwise running the same apps (Smartswitch copied everything over).

In regards to firmware and app versions, I'm running the latest:

DJI GO 4: v4.1.8
Firmware: 1.03.1000

Well since my post I have updated firmware on Mavic and RC. My connections issues have not returned. I just upgraded to Oreo on my Pixel XL and so far so good. I have been using drone deploy last few days just seeing what it is all about. And it has worked flawlessly. I finally found the best way to upgrade firmware (that works for me).

Reactions: AAPhoto
Funny that. I was feeling the same until I did the latest firmware update. All my issues about disconnection issues have gone

The new Android lets you disable power mgnt for each App, so go into battery setting and disable it for GO4
All my app in battery optimisation settings are pre set to the "unchecked" boxes. Does that mean leave DJI app unchecked also?

It's stories like these that are keeping me from buying one. Sigh...

I've revamped my thread from earlier this year. Take a look.

Guys... For all those people having problems make sure you have a "U3" rated SD card! Most cards on the market cannot write above 10 MB/s.

Initially my Nexus 6p worked fine with the class 10 "U1" card. I'm not sure if it was upgrading to nougat or mavic firmware change but I had all kinds of problems with DJI go. I tried different phones and nothing made a difference until I upgraded the card.

I've updated my Mavic Pro with the latest updates. Not a single Hic Cup! I do run ISO though? The only gripe I have with the MP is the constant updates! No improvements,just more NFZ's!:mad:

I agree the cable can be easily and cheaply eliminated by ordering a new GOOD one. My dad's P3P was hardly used and we had it in the air and had a disconnect. Brought it back by vision only and then could not get it to work. Finally switched out the cable and it's been fine since. I have no idea why the cable crapped out after only a handful of flights but it did.

I could have kept myself grounded while complaining about a lot of stuff but we tried the easiest thing first and that was it - so I recommend starting with the suggestions and keep going until you're back in the air with confidence.

I'm sorry but after hundreds of flights, I've never had a locked screen on a Apple product.

I think you'll find that most people will tell you the same.

I'm not advocating, I'm just saying that's not completely true

Read through the site, plenty of 'My Apple crashed' posts if you take the ios glasses off.

Not willing to spend a further $500-$1000 just to fly this drone.
DJI app is junk, they should be forced to repair it or buy back the drones that can't fly because of it.
I'm not alone with this POS app, the Play Store rating is currently 2.8 stars!!!

Utter rubbish on the most popular platform worldwide.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170924-082902.png
    Screenshot_20170924-082902.png
    534 KB · Views: 53
Reactions: Vilco
Read through the site, plenty of 'My Apple crashed' posts if you take the ios glasses off.

Not willing to spend a further $500-$1000 just to fly this drone.
DJI app is junk, they should be forced to repair it or buy back the drones that can't fly because of it.
I'm not alone with this POS app, the Play Store rating is currently 2.8 stars!!!

Utter rubbish on the most popular platform worldwide.

It’s interesting your suggesting a search you’ve clearly never done.

So I just did that search, and I’m willing to bet 99% of “app crashed” are Android specific. I’m not a blindly following Apple guy. But it’s pretty widely accepted that Apple is more consistent, above Android when it comes to DJI products.

I’ve seriously 100% never had a app crashing issue with my iPad Pro, iPhone etc.

Reactions: JManges

So I just did that search, and I’m willing to bet 99% of “app crashed” are Android specific. I’m not a blindly following Apple guy. But it’s pretty widely accepted that Apple is more consistent, above Android when it comes to DJI products.

I’ve seriously 100% never had a app crashing issue with my iPad Pro, iPhone etc.

Pleased for you, genuinely.
I have no interest in any Apple product.

The drone is marketed as iOS AND Android ready, it was purchased with the belief that it would actually work.
This is my first drone, I had no prior knowledge of DJIs lack of ability in regards to app development.
Paying $1700 for the drone, then being told later that you need to purchase a separate screen system is very disappointing (Casper Sky has been mentioned..... It's $800+, Half the cost of a new drone!!!)
Instead of bending over and just accepting their poor performance, we should be pressuring DJI to act!

One thing is certain, the Mavic will definitely be my last DJI product.
Fantastic drone, doesn't operate as marketed.

Pleased for you, genuinely.
I have no interest in any Apple product.

The drone is marketed as iOS AND Android ready, it was purchased with the belief that it would actually work.
This is my first drone, I had no prior knowledge of DJIs lack of ability in regards to app development.
Paying $1700 for the drone, then being told later that you need to purchase a separate screen system is very disappointing (Casper Sky has been mentioned..... It's $800+, Half the cost of a new drone!!!)
Instead of bending over and just accepting their poor performance, we should be pressuring DJI to act!

One thing is certain, the Mavic will definitely be my last DJI product.
Fantastic drone, doesn't operate as marketed.

Sorry to hear that.

But first off these don’t cost $1700, they cost $999. But there are many Android guys on here that do just fine. But you need an equally expensive Samsung device or google phone etc.

Apple is the ONLY manufacture that is truly vertically integrated designing and manufacturing the OS and the Hardware. Unfortunately Android is a platform that’s adapted to many phone manufacturers. If Samsung was smart they would start their own OS, and leave Android in the dust.

People all the time are surprised their Android systems don’t work, especially when it’s mated to a off brand device. It’s like putting a corvette engine in a Porsche. It works but is full of problems.

I have been using Samsung S6 edge ( when I first got my Mavic) to my S7 (non edge) now. Never ever had an issue. While I am not a tech guru by any means but logically it might make sense issues occur based on how many apps people have installed on their phone and how many are running all the time in the back ground. Sort of like a computer. Tons of stuff loading in background the computer gets slower and then get the infamous "Not responding" Smartphones same issue. I know guys that complain about their Apple and Android products then seem to fix the issue when they upgrade to a new phone. I have taken their old phones and turned off and uninstalled literally hundred of BS apps they had and the phone works outstanding.

I do not have many Apps installed in my S7 and the factory installed crap that came with it, I manually put to sleep. Even now my S6 Edge works superb. Sadly this is the game of the smartphone makers. Constant running apps in the back ground, constant updates increasing the file size slowing the phone down so the consumer feels the phone is slow and they upgrade to the latest greatest. I have all apps set to notify me of updates. If I think they are moot I do not do it.

Anyway, my 2 cents worth

Sorry to hear that.

But first off these don’t cost $1700, they cost $999. But there are many Android guys on here that do just fine. But you need an equally expensive Samsung device or google phone etc.

Apple is the ONLY manufacture that is truly vertically integrated designing and manufacturing the OS and the Hardware. Unfortunately Android is a platform that’s adapted to many phone manufacturers. If Samsung was smart they would start their own OS, and leave Android in the dust.

People all the time are surprised their Android systems don’t work, especially when it’s mated to a off brand device. It’s like putting a corvette engine in a Porsche. It works but is full of problems.

Here in Australian dollars, they were $1700, now down to $1500 on a deal, and marketed as Android ready, so certainly not keen on purchasing more gear just to fly.
* There is a published list of suitable devices that DJI hide away, only to bring it out when you contact them after purchase.

The Sony phone I have is about as close to native Android as they come (every other app and feature I use is flawless), yet if I choose to stay with Sony to run DJIs app, I must travel back in time to 2012 to a Z3 handset!

The very real prospect of using another app to operate the drone scares me, all I ask is that the company that makes the drone makes an app for it.

Last edited:
Here in Australian dollars, they were $1700, now down to $1500 on a deal, and marketed as Android ready, so certainly not keen on purchasing more gear just to fly.
* There is a published list of suitable devices that DJI hide away, only to bring it out when you contact them after purchase.

The Sony phone I have is about as close to native Android as they come (every other app and feature I use is flawless), yet if I choose to stay with Sony to run DJIs app, I must travel back in time to 2012 to a Z3 handset!

The very real prospect of using another app to operate the drone scares me, all I ask is that the company that makes the drone makes an app for it.

I agree! I’ve heard good things about the Sony devices?

But I say buy a cheap iPad Mini and use it. Hey maybe you fall in love with it?

The truth is that Apple overbuilds the hardware. Anyone who’s jail broken their iOS knows the capabilities are enormous.

They put a V8 in and only let use 4 cylinders!

Android devices usually put a V10 in and build an OS that needs a V12. That’s why face recognition, while first on android, never really worked for them. Apple will make it work and work good. Same with Finger print scanners. Samsung had that years ago, but it barely ever worked.

My point is, the facts are out there. Apple isn’t perfect, but they are perfect for DJI. You have so much invested why cheap out on the device?

Sony Xperia z3+ is what I use and now I'm using the braided Anchor cable, it's absolutely flawless

Go 4 works flawlessly on most android devices. The apple minority is very vocal though so you wouldn't think it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman