DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NOW Postested #22 By DonTestme: Video of Mavic 3 Night Flying with 16,000 Lumens of flood lights: 4x LD70 Imalent lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Testme

Reactions
I just ordered 2 more LD70 Imalent mini flood lights. Because they are so light and small, I will be attaching 4 of them to my Mavic 3. That 16,000 lumens of pure daylight.

I limit my attached lights to between 14-20oz max on the M3. 2 LD70s weigh 6.28 oz. The M3 should fly fine with 4. I'll be attaching 2 on each side. I can't wait to see what that looks like from a drone !

to be continued....

Last edited:
Reactions: NewAir2sMan
Not to rain on your parade but might I suggest you fly the tests etc. away from an urban enviroment.
I have recently seen a video of someone testing drone mounted spotlights over or near peoples' houses and the first think that came to mind is that such a flight is just begging for "invasion of privacy" complaints.
I thought the flight and video/s? a very bad idea.
The last time I saw any similar, but brigher, illumination was a police helicopter looking for something.

Last edited:
I am watching this !!!!

I can only see putting that kind of lighting on a drone for one reason... Commercial inspections at night or dark days. Having that kind of light shining in a neighborhood at night ( flying for fun, not police activity ) is only going to upset the people living around it as it's happening. I don't think I would let that go if someone flew above my place with airplane landing lights looking down. I say the same thing with the 4x4 trucks with off road lighting having them on while driving on the road.
There is a time and place for everything, but this isn't one of them.
If you are just testing these lights for future commercial inspections, I would go to a large parking lot and not shine the lights into yards and car windows.

Last edited by a moderator:
This begs the question: Why?

a.) You always wanted to be a police chopper pilot
b.) You want to irritate or spy on your neighbors
c.) You want to get your drone shot down
d.) All of the above

The mere fact that you can do something is not sufficient reason to do it. We have all seen increasing legislation as a result of irresponsible actions by droners, esp. the newbies, "jus' 'cause they could". Now if you happen to live in a rural area, by all means go ahead. But there are a number of folks on this forum (most likely even this post) that seem to get a kick out of lighting up their neighbors. So please do consider what your (irresponsible) actions could mean for all of us later . . . .

I have flown a bunch of drones, and continue to do so, and personally would be very quick to go track down anybody that lit my house/yard up at night. Just sayin' . . . . .

34S

Before I get strung up by the rafters for showing my interest, I'm gonna throw in that I live way out in the country on my own acreage with no one around for several miles. Just to clear that up. Never would I do what's been speculated.🫡

Reactions: Gary R

d.) All of the above

The mere fact that you can do something is not sufficient reason to do it. We have all seen increasing legislation as a result of irresponsible actions by droners, esp. the newbies, "jus' 'cause they could". Now if you happen to live in a rural area, by all means go ahead. But there are a number of folks on this forum (most likely even this post) that seem to get a kick out of lighting up their neighbors. So please do consider what your (irresponsible) actions could mean for all of us later . . . .

I have flown a bunch of drones, and continue to do so, and personally would be very quick to go track down anybody that lit my house/yard up at night. Just sayin' . . . . .

34S
I took my ALC-451: Part 107 Small UAS Initial and Recurrent- Part 61 Pilots around the same time I took my TRUST which covers night flying among other things. But just because I can, I feel uneasy launching the drone with anti collision strobes in a populated neighborhood at night. Instead, I would go to a rural area, unpopulated, to have my fun with night flights. Why do some people get a kick out of trying to stir up controversy?

d.) All of the above

34S
You should add to your list Part 107 and COA operators for rescue volunteers like I am. Also, I enjoy recording alligators at the lake on nights as well. Private property. I see you barely have posted on the forum. Welcome to the forum. I agree with you this should not be used in an irresponsible way.

Reactions: NewAir2sMan
I see you barely have posted on the forum. Welcome to the forum.
Thanks! I have been building and flying drones since 2014 when 107 was still just an idea. I only recently joined MP so new to the forum but not to drones (and common sense) . . .

And I thought my car's halogen headlights were insanely bright and annoying, I'd have to side with the bad idea in a urban environment stance myself.

Not to rain on your parade but might I suggest you fly the tests etc. away from an urban enviroment.
I have recently seen a video of someone testing drone mounted spotlights over or near peoples' houses and the first think that came to mind is that such a flight is just begging for "invasion of privacy" complaints.
I thought the flight and video/s? a very bad idea.
The last time I saw any similar, but brigher, illumination was a police helicopter looking for something.
If you see me post any video of a drone with high intensity spot lights over homes, the pilot is known to them and they don't complain. If you see the drone hover over a home, it's a friend's home. Permision granted. No complaints. Why? Because they know the pilot and we all know the police . No one complains anymore. It's not a nightly frequent event either.

Nothing to worry about, if I posted one of the videos you've seen. Thanks for your concern. Advice always is apreciated.

Same in my case. My neighbors already know me and they are ok with me flying my drones. Even with that I keep altitude (over 150FT) normally to not disturb.

I tested the 4x LD70s with strobe mode on. With 4 Strobes they didn't appear to flash as much and kept the ouput lumens higher and longer. The video didn't turn out well, but the light x 4 still made the entire neighborhood a little brighter. At 80ft they were really bright. They got hot though. The props couldn't keep them cool like when I only use one on each side of the drone. 4 blocks heat dissipation. EDIT: I'll show you the RESULTS OF NO STROBE STOBES IN POSTS TO COME. I ALMOST CRASH IN ONE OF THE VIDEOS.

Here is a 2x LD70 Video for now. Mavic 3 flown at night over and through a damaged pier, then over trees, then a house or 3. then some wetlands. Enjoy, until I get this 4X test done.

Last edited:
@Don Testme that looks amazing. You really took a good chance flying between the 2 gazebos at the pier. I believe 2 of this lights is more than sufficient specially mounted below the props but I will love to see the result with 4 of them.

Nice video and test !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard