DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Now that Art is gone what Setting is best?

Eddie V

Reactions
So after watching all of the YouTube videos that say Art color mode with some combination of custom sharpening, contrast and saturation (usually -1,-3,-3) being claimed as the best for Color Grading in post, I get my Mavic and upgrade to the latest FW and DJI Go 4 app on iOS.
Of course DJI decides to get rid of Art color mode and now has D-Cinelike, D-Log, None, TrueColor and a slew of artsy color modes. D-Log is way to flat. I am using DaVinci Resolve 12.5 for my color grading.

So the question is what is everyone using now that Art is gone?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: Seamus
I was using Art as well. Although it's been too cold for me to try new settings, Tom's Tech Time on YouTube has a good run down for optimal settings for post grading. Since you said D-Log is too flat for you, D-Cinelike is probably your next choice.

This was posted by a DJI employee and moderator over on the DJI forum...

"DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-12-11 01:27
We did not remove the art mode. some changes had been made for the upgrading, so it shows "Film-A, B, C and so on.
We've reported this case, and will improve the naming soon, sorry for any inconvenience caused."

I don't know how she can say it was not removed when one mode (art mode) was replaced with multiple modes. Unless, one of those modes is the same as art mode. I suspect the next firmware update will reflect a change in the naming and one of them will be art mode again.

....Unless, one of those modes is the same as art mode. I suspect the next firmware update will reflect a change in the naming and one of them will be art mode again.
That is my understanding. I hope I am right.

I've been using D-Cinelike -1,0,0 .. hopefully Art comes back soon though. D-Cinelike isn't as flat as I'd like, and D-Log is way too flat.

Reactions: Eddie V

We did not remove the art mode. some changes had been made for the upgrading, so it shows "Film-A, B, C and so on.
We've reported this case, and will improve the naming soon, sorry for any inconvenience caused."

I don't know how she can say it was not removed when one mode (art mode) was replaced with multiple modes. Unless, one of those modes is the same as art mode. I suspect the next firmware update will reflect a change in the naming and one of them will be art mode again.

Natalia has been great on here but unfortunately this time she is mistaken. ART has disappeared. There is no use referring to the "Film x"'s. That is not the issue. It is indeed gone from the list.

Seen a few comparisons with the new modes and Art is definitely not there from what the YT guy said and could be seen. If her statement was true then surely she would have just told people what it now called right lol

Maybe a slight change of topic, but what settings are people using for minimal color grading? Like if I want to LiveStream or just quickly put a video up for my family while on vacation and not spend hours editing and color grading? I have the yaw and gimbal speeds down perfectly but the color is what is killing me.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

When I log into the DG4 app it does show that my mode is still set to Art, but it's greyed out. I'll probably reload everything back to default and only use settings available in DG4 app so there's no conflicts. I don't want it to get confused with a mode that isn't even available in the app. Better safe then sorry!

Reactions: Seamus and Eddie V
how do you change the three numbers everyone is talking about -1 3 3

So to sum up some of the questions above, as I have the same questions:

1. Best settings to do minimal color grading?
2. Best NEW settings to do full on color grading?
3. How do you change to the settings (three numbers) everyone is talking about?
4. (New) Do the settings save or have to be set every time you turn it on?
5. (New) As I fly, the exposure changes and auto adjusts, which looks funny when doing a pan shot. Is there a way to lock the exposure so it does not change during a shot?

I can help with some of these...

1. Just shoot with no picture profile settings. Select 'None' - results in average saturation & contrast.

2. Posts are suggesting D-Cinelike with custom settings of -2,-1,-1 are a good option at the moment

3. You need to navigate to settings - there's 4 options... Custom is at the bottom and allows you to change sharpness, contrast & saturation. Although I have issues with my app regarding this at the moment.

4. I'm yet to learn this - keen to find out whether these adjustments we make become default once we set them.

5. Simple - take it off auto and switch to manual. Try your best to keep ISO between 100(best) & 400(I heard this is kinda the max we want to go to b4 too much noise). So you are effectively setting the shutter speed to expose correctly. This is why ND filters are being used as on very bright days, you'd ideally get a slower shutter speed. Assuming we all want that 'cinema' feel

Hope that helps. I'm sure others will add ideas... or correct me!
#alwayslearning

4. I'm yet to learn this - keen to find out whether these adjustments we make become default once we set them.

Settings become default, until you change them or a camera reset is performed. Also, I've heard that flying with Active Track resets the camera settings to default. I'm not sure if that's the case just while using Active Track, or if it resets everything though... Worth testing. Here's where I heard that (skip to 7 minutes).

I can help with some of these...

1. Just shoot with no picture profile settings. Select 'None' - results in average saturation & contrast.

2. Posts are suggesting D-Cinelike with custom settings of -2,-1,-1 are a good option at the moment

3. You need to navigate to settings - there's 4 options... Custom is at the bottom and allows you to change sharpness, contrast & saturation. Although I have issues with my app regarding this at the moment.

5. Simple - take it off auto and switch to manual. Try your best to keep ISO between 100(best) & 400(I heard this is kinda the max we want to go to b4 too much noise). So you are effectively setting the shutter speed to expose correctly. This is why ND filters are being used as on very bright days, you'd ideally get a slower shutter speed. Assuming we all want that 'cinema' feel

Hope that helps. I'm sure others will add ideas... or correct me!
#alwayslearning
5. AE in the top right corner - Auto Exposure lock.

Sent from my SM-G935F using MavicPilots mobile app

Reactions: *BF*
Thanks everyone. Once I get rid of this nasty cold I have I will be back out trying these.

Reactions: *BF*

Well spotted - indeed, this is now the case!

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I just updated my DJI GO app to 4.0.3 on my iPhone this morning, and Art Mode is available again.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seacorope