DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NZ Police Helicopter Nearly Taken Out by a Drone Last Night.

probally a bird

"Although the data contain several reports of pilots claiming drone strikes on their aircraft, to date the FAA has not verified any collision between a civil aircraft and a civil drone. Every investigation has found the reported collisions were either birds, impact with other items such as wires and posts, or structural failure not related to colliding with an unmanned aircraft. "
FAA Releases Updated Drone Sighting Reports

I've been wondering for a while now, I was shooting some drone on drone photos and my Mavic slid over the top of my Tello about ten feet above and literally blew it out of the air.
Wouldn't the helicopter just blow the drone down or would it get sucked in by by the forward movement of the helicopter?

I've been wondering for a while now, I was shooting some drone on drone photos and my Mavic slid over the top of my Tello about ten feet above and literally blew it out of the air.
Wouldn't the helicopter just blow the drone down or would it get sucked in by by the forward movement of the helicopter?
There are a couple of vid's on YouTube now that illustrate that a moving helicopter causes a completely different effect to a drone than a hovering one ;
If the helicopter is flying forward at cruising speeds, then the rotors act like wings and there is little down-draft to either push the drone down if it's below, or suck it down if above. You can see in the case of the near-miss in Florida, that the drone feels a bit of turbulence, but that's it ... However, a hovering helicopter turns into a 'fan' and will suck a drone down through the rotor span if it is above, or push it away if below.

The rotors are not nearly large enough to act as wings and the downdraft will be very similar to hovering, but when moving the duration of any downdraft is very short. The main danger with a helicopter is the tail rotor. When a copter is moving a drone would be pushed down by the downdraft and so it would be difficult for it to be sucked in by the tail rotor.

I am always mystified by the knee jerk reaction that a sighting was not a drone (or was a drone, for that matter.) We all make judgments with certain biases including a bias to come to a conclusion that comports with our beliefs even when those beliefs are not supported by facts.

I am always mystified by the knee jerk reaction that a sighting was not a drone (or was a drone, for that matter.) We all make judgments with certain biases including a bias to come to a conclusion that comports with our beliefs even when those beliefs are not supported by facts. As drone enthusiasts, we are pro-drone, but that doesn't mean we should be closed to the idea that some drone pilots do extraordinarily stupid and dangerous things. Given likely low speed of police heli and proximity, I would tend to credit this report.

The FAA report cited by JDawg is not available on the FAA website anymore. While the summary which is available does say that the several (assuming less than 10 and probably closer to 5) reports of drone strikes were not actually drone strikes, it also says that over the nine month period there were almost 1300 "possible" drone sightings by aircraft pilots. That is one hell of a lot and if only a small percentage were actually drones, that is still way too many.

I’m assuming the “just below 1400’” is referring to AGL altitude rather than MSL. If that’s the case, the encounter took place at an altitude that hobby drones aren’t likely to be flying, or are restricted from flying by the drone hardware/software.

I am always mystified by the knee jerk reaction that a sighting was not a drone (or was a drone, for that matter.) We all make judgments with certain biases including a bias to come to a conclusion that comports with our beliefs even when those beliefs are not supported by facts. As drone enthusiasts, we are pro-drone, but that doesn't mean we should be closed to the idea that some drone pilots do extraordinarily stupid and dangerous things. Given likely low speed of police heli and proximity, I would tend to credit this report.

The FAA report cited by JDawg is not available on the FAA website anymore. While the summary which is available does say that the several (assuming less than 10 and probably closer to 5) reports of drone strikes were not actually drone strikes, it also says that over the nine month period there were almost 1300 "possible" drone sightings by aircraft pilots. That is one **** of a lot and if only a small percentage were actually drones, that is still way too many.

I got it off the site yesterday. And the sighting is not supported by any facts.
Drone, Drone, everywhere a Drone! I am in "picture or it didn't happen" mode.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michalis