DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NZ Police Helicopter Nearly Taken Out by a Drone Last Night.

JDawg - seen a lot of your posts and have respect for you, but don't you think by saying you won't accept a sighting unless you see a photo - you are setting an almost impossible burden of proof? Hey drone wait a minute while I put this aircraft on autopilot, get out my camera and take a picture. Ain't gonna happen. And you would exclude what are undoubtedly legitimate sightings.

JDawg - seen a lot of your posts and have respect for you, but don't you think by saying you won't accept a sighting unless you see a photo - you are setting an almost impossible burden of proof? Hey drone wait a minute while I put this aircraft on autopilot, get out my camera and take a picture. Ain't gonna happen. And you would exclude what are undoubtedly legitimate sightings.
Fair enough. But this was/is an over the top title "helicopter nearly taken out by drone last night" and with that personally I am going to look for a bit more on the actual factual side.

Certainly agree that the headline is unwarranted and appealing to the sensational thrill seeking folks
That is what got me going right away. You won't find a post where I defend any idiot who puts airplanes or helicopters in jeopardy. If this incident is true I hope they find the jerk and fine him/her the most that is allowed.

Reactions: TR Ganey and BD0G
I’m assuming the “just below 1400’” is referring to AGL altitude rather than MSL. If that’s the case, the encounter took place at an altitude that hobby drones aren’t likely to be flying, or are restricted from flying by the drone hardware/software.

All DJI drones will go to 500 m (1640 ft) above takeoff point.

I’m assuming the “just below 1400’” is referring to AGL altitude rather than MSL. If that’s the case, the encounter took place at an altitude that hobby drones aren’t likely to be flying, or are restricted from flying by the drone hardware/software.
1,400 ft is 426 metres ... Go 4 will allow you to set 500 metres max altitude - so it is within the software limits. You'd have to confirm with somebody from NZ - but I believe they have similar 400 ft height restrictions there for drones [??]

I think they were talking a large drone. the drone was not size like DJI Mavic or Phanton 4.
I think it's a fake news. Since commercial quality drones come in market, it give people a lots of fun, especially for photographers. But many people, who don't have drones, are very jealous. They jealous drone flyers have fun. Because they're bored. They're jealous drone flyers can make nice photos. Because they only shooting by phones for bored images. They will try to make more fake news for misleading people, just like this fake news. Think about: a drone usually only can go up to 100m. A police helicopter usually fly up to 1000m. A drone take out a helicopter can only Hollywood movie. But the movie hasn't produced.

Reactions: Point Zero
Think about: a drone usually only can go up to 100m. A police helicopter usually fly up to 1000m. A drone take out a helicopter can only Hollywood movie. But the movie hasn't produced.
DJI Drones can be set to go to 500 metres (above take off point) in Go 4 - without any modifications or hacks ...
A drone has already taken out an Army Blackhawk that was forced to land after a collision with its rotors

Last edited:
A drone has already taken out an Army Blackhawk that was forced to land after a collision with its rotors
The press isn’t the only place where you will find hyperbolic language. There’s no question that this Blackhawk did hit a phantom and damage was done but it wasn’t “forced” to do anything and it certainly wasn’t “taken out”

None of the hobby drones i know are restricted to lower than 1400ft by hardware or software. The mavic series for example is restricted to 1640ft.

The press isn’t the only place where you will find hyperbolic language. There’s no question that this Blackhawk did hit a phantom and damage was done but it wasn’t “forced” to do anything and it certainly wasn’t “taken out”
Saying that just shows a complete ignorance of Air Safety @DroningOn ... If you are piloting an aircraft, and you hit something, then you need to make a 'forced-landing' as soon as possible! You don't just flick the wipers and carry on as usual ... The Blackhawk was not only 'taken-out' of its Operational job, but also consequentially 'taken-out' of service to have its Rotor replaced. In this context that's 100% correct. That Blackhawk pilot's day would have been completely different if it wasn't for that Drone ...
I thought it obvious that in this context 'Taken out' - definitely doesn't equate to 'destroyed'!

Saying that just shows a complete ignorance of Air Safety @DroningOn ... If you are piloting an aircraft, and you hit something, then you need to make a 'forced-landing' as soon as possible! You don't just flick the wipers and carry on as usual ... The Blackhawk was not only 'taken-out' of its Operational job, but also consequentially 'taken-out' of service to have its Rotor replaced. In this context that's 100% correct. That Blackhawk pilot's day would have been completely different if it wasn't for that Drone ...
I thought it obvious that in this context 'Taken out' - definitely doesn't equate to 'destroyed'!
You ( Mod Removed )knew what you were trying to imply in your original post. Don’t try to dismiss my commentary on it as showing “ignorance”.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ¬Nomad
You ( Mod Removed )knew what you were trying to imply in your original post. Don’t try to dismiss my commentary on it as showing “ignorance”.
Yeah - I implied that the helicopter had been destroyed, then in the same post, put an explanatory video showing the helicopter in it's [not] destroyed state.
Oh I am such an idiot! o_O

May step on some toes, but I really think that some of the BS by Airplane and Helicopter pilots are just that. BS. they like to make bigger deals of drone sitting than they really are. I have flashing lights on my drone, and I can see an airplane pilot say" O yea I seen a drone, and it was so close I could see his lights. .. Just like the BS that shut the airport down for 24 hrs. I think they are finding out it was all, or mostly BS. I know stupid people do stupid ****, but people make **** up all the time also. . . .just my thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hold a PPL and fly often so have a foot in both Camps.
Whilst I do see some serious safety concerns and get genuinely spooked by some of the Antics displayed on youtube and talked about online illustrating extremely Irresponsible Drone usage, I have also read reports from fellow pilots, some that have even survived the scrutiny of the CAA/AAIB, which were demonstrably little more than Fairy tales.

There is a lot of Hysteria surrounding the subject.

Always makes me laugh when headlines of drones threatening helicopters are presented. I love the pantomime comments where we get the superior types of comments that say "Oh yes they can take them out" and the reckless that say "Oh no they can't". There's more to consider though...

MOTIVE
1 - No normal person wants to risk his £1000 piece of equipment being smashed to bits in an instant so that rules out anyone following the drone code and anyone with a registered drone because they would be traceable.
2 - Only a villain (and a stupid one at that) would try to bring down a helicopter with a tiny plastic weapon that is extremely unlikely to succeed; a smart villain would just use a rifle!
3 - Child up to mischief is possible but most use sub 250gm devices and they would struggle to take down a hummingbird.

METHOD
To attack a helicopter, the wicked drone would have to be at least at the same height, or above it, because there's absolutely no way it could attack from below that amount of downdraft. Only a speedy attack on the rear rotor is likely to succeed.

SOLUTION
1 - Could be a complete idiot tried to do it. After all, you do get maniacs trying to shoot everyone they see in the USA but that's not a reason to stop anyone using a gun apparently.
2 - Misinterpreted perceptions of birds flying near to helicopters or warning lamps on cranes nearby could be an explanation for the sitings.
3 - That leaves "fake news" because which is always popular when there's nothing else to report that will warrant a headline. Always a favourite with the media as could be seen at Gatwick where the ONLY CONFIRMED sitings of drones were of the Police drones trying to find the ghost drones that were reported.

Last edited:
May step on some toes, but I really think that some of the BS by Airplane and Helicopter pilots are just that. BS. they like to make bigger deals of drone sitting than they really are. I have flashing lights on my drone, and I can see an airplane pilot say" O yea I seen a drone, and it was so close I could see his lights. .. Just like the BS that shut the airport down for 24 hrs. I think they are finding out it was all, or mostly BS. I know stupid people do stupid ****, but people make **** up all the time also. . . .just my thoughts.

How to we know that everything you typed wasn't made up?

Mark

All any licensed airplane pilot has to do is read this forum regularly to have the holy crap scared out of them. Every single week a drone pilot posts about doing something stupid with their drone.

It's these morons that are ruining the hobby for everyone else. Given some of the stupidity bragged about in this forum, I find it entirely too easy to believe reports about close encounters with drones. Flying a drone at 1,500 feet in an urban area is a DUMB thing to do because that's where aircraft like helicopters operate. Yet, not a week goes by when someone doesn't post about exceeding 400 feet.

Mark

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
melissapeterss