DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Obstacle Avoidance Failed

Gustavo Amora

Reactions
[Mavic Pro]
Hey guys, need some help.
I don't want to blame anybody else other than me. But I really need to understand what happened.
I was flying today from inside a building in the city Downtown, I leave in Brasilia, Brazil's capital.
A very busy building and I needed to fly out from the building and film the building. I was doing a first take when the battery went low, so I pulled it back to the window to land in the table. But the mavic invaded the room. It was crazy, but I landed on the other side of the room.
Than I was really curious to understand what made the drone to cross the room without any joystick commands and no wind, so I (stupidly) decided to fly again.
And that's the image that you can see. The drone went out the windows and then moved fast toward the building, WITHOUT any commands, actually I was trying to pull over. And then it collapsed againd the other building window and falled at least 20 meters down.
Sad, very sad.
Take a look in the video and help me to find out what happened.

I can't really see what happened because the camera jerks at the critical time, but I'm going to suggest the downward sensors saw the window ledge as an obstacle and raised up to try to avoid it.

Last edited:
That's possible. But what I don't understand is that the drone was already flying outside the building and suddenly it begins that crazy move towards the building in front.

Reactions: Prado man
If you were using window glass as the obstacle I can see why it may not have worked as expected, I say it was user error.

Last edited:
What happened?
I don't know you didn't give any details of what you were doing at the time like did it have GPS lock? Were you flying it in sport mode? Where you receiving any warnings?
These Mavic's don't work by magic.
It is a piece of precision equipment.
There are many parameters which must be followed to make it operate correctly.
I suggest you start reading all of the posts about people crashing their mavic to get an understanding of how things can be done wrong and go wrong.
Oh yeah and read the instructions also.

I'd guess that there was no GPS and the Mavic was in atti mode. You can upload your flight records to see if this was the case. If the Mavic is in atti mode, it won't stop in it's position quickly and will continue to slide in the direction of travel. Flying in and out of a large building is an accident waiting to happen.

What happened?
I don't know you didn't give any details of what you were doing at the time like did it have GPS lock? Were you flying it in sport mode? Where you receiving any warnings?
These Mavic's don't work by magic.
It is a piece of precision equipment.
There are many parameters which must be followed to make it operate correctly.
I suggest you start reading all of the posts about people crashing their mavic to get an understanding of how things can be done wrong and go wrong.
Oh yeah and read the instructions also.
Sure, and thanks for the advice.
But just to clarify what I know. I never used the sports mode, I keep it off since the first day. The GPS wasn't working in that place. But there was no wind and I wasn't giving any commands when it started to move against the other building. I just tried to pull back, but it didn't listen to me anymore.
I will go through this forum all over the weekend, but if anybody has any idea, please, let me know.

Upload the flight data. Pretty sure what happened but you won't know for sure until the data is uploaded.

Okay i will guess, (You can upload your flight records to see if this was the case)
I watched a longer video than is posted now.
Because it appears not to have the sensors on, it did not stop before hit the building.
(avoidance turned off)

[Mavic Pro]
I don't want to blame anybody else other than me. But I really need to understand what happened.
I was flying today from inside a building in the city Downtown, I leave in Brasilia, Brazil's capital.
A very busy building and I needed to fly out from the building and film the building. I was doing a first take when the battery went low, so I pulled it back to the window to land in the table. But the mavic invaded the room. It was crazy, but I landed on the other side of the room.
Than I was really curious to understand what made the drone to cross the room without any joystick commands and no wind, so I (stupidly) decided to fly again.
And that's the image that you can see. The drone went out the windows and then moved fast toward the building, WITHOUT any commands, actually I was trying to pull over. And then it collapsed againd the other building window and falled at least 20 meters down.
Sad, very sad.

Do you have the video from mavic? It would be much more helpful...

When I fly from outside to inside, mavic often enters what I call a "state of confusion" that lasts several seconds where it flys around on its own ignoring all stick input. I theorize this is the moment mavic switches from gps to vision mode. I tend to fly with cages if I'm going indoors so there is no damage.

If the ambient light is low, mavic will not enter vision mode and instead switches to atti, which makes flying in confined spaces all but impossible.

What you were doing, flying from inside to outside and vice versa is a very risky Manuver, especially without cages.

Unfortunately, this sounds like a case of pilot error.

Upload the flight data. Pretty sure what happened but you won't know for sure until the data is uploaded.
Do you know how to retrieve this information? Is it DJI App or sd card? Anyway, thanks for the information, that's a very good starting point.

What you were doing, flying from inside to outside and vice versa is a very risky Manuver, especially without cages.

Unfortunately, this sounds like a case of pilot error.
Maybe, but I didn't send the drone towards the other building. I really want to understand what happened. What I already know now is, never fly from inside. But what happened is still a mystery to me.

[Mavic Pro]
Sad, very sad.

The compass is the thing responsible for all that specially with lots of magnetic stuff like monitors, wifi,metal frames and others unless you turn the drone into wifi mode and disable go home and made it hovers if signal lost

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phoenix_00002