DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

obstacle sensor setting in the DJI FPV?

motopokep

Reactions
brand new FPV drone, flown in normal mode, wanted to test the obstacle sensors and flew very close to a wall and then to myself, and it wouldn't stop, I kept flying forward and the props almost touched the wall and then myself. could this be a factory defect or do I need to change some settings?

brand new FPV drone, flown in normal mode, wanted to test the obstacle sensors and flew very close to a wall and then to myself, and it wouldn't stop, I kept flying forward and the props almost touched the wall and then myself. could this be a factory defect or do I need to change some settings?
I just got my FPV last month, and haven't done much with the obstacle sensing. But as a result of your question, I went back and did a quick review of the manual, and now that I have a better understanding of what the indicators mean, I'll look for it more carefully the next time I fly.

Unless I missed an entire section in my re-read, the FPV manual is vague almost to the point of silence about how the obstacle avoidance system works. I would welcome you sharing any additional information your discover about this,

Also while reading the manual again, I had another thought about audience video quality (second set of goggles). Would it make any difference to set the audience goggles to "high quality/high latency"? Since the audience goggles aren't flying the aircraft, the latency shouldn't matter.

Of course, my understanding of the whole audience goggle set-up is still embryonic, since I don't have the second goggles yet!

I'm still in "Normal Mode" too. The weather has been so bad that I haven't been able to fly enough to feel comfortable moving up to sport. But the current forecast is for good weather for a t least the next week, so that will hopefully change soon!

:cool:

I looked at the manual and did some research, it looks like the FPV doesn't completely stop like the Mavic when it senses an obstacle. It slows down, to give you time to react. In other words, if you fly at 30 mph and come close to an obstacle, the drone should slow down to a lesser speed but will not stop like the Mavic does. I haven't tried flying toward an obstacle at any considerable speed as I'm not willing to sacrifice my drone as a guinea pig. I did fly very close to a soft obstacle and the drone did start flashing red LED in the back and the goggles did show an orange and then a red line on top, but as I flew the drone extremely slow to give me time to stop it, I didn't notice any slowing down and I almost touched the obstacle (arborvitae tree) with props.

My audience transmission setting is turned off, can't comment on that, not planning to broadcast to anyone.

The FPV drone only has obstacle warning not obstacle avoidance

Reactions: motopokep