DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Official Mavic 2 Range Leaderboard

Just finished the mods for my purpose built "Unlimited" class M2. The factory battery has been removed and replaced with a radio booster on the front left/port side antenna. The battery controller board wired power to the booster and the balance cable extended externally. I also flipped the front left/port antenna 180 degrees. And I started some weight reduction methods removing non essential parts. The factory fan cover was removed and mini heat sinks placed on the ESC mosfet chips. All of these mods disqualify this bird from the "Modified" class.

The spirit and history behind the Modified and Unlimited class goes like this. There are many enthusiasts that like to add mods to their bird, but have zero interest in possibly destroying their bird with hard modifications. So we now have the modified class that prohibits any modification of the factory aircraft hardware, but allows additions to be added (i.e. extra batteries). For those that want to go to the extreme and heavily modify their bird, we have the Unlimited class. This allows those that wish to compete, but not potentially destroying their aircraft in the process.

EDIT: and this all came in right around my estimated max AUW for the M2 @ 1600 grams.

dronemods-2018-721.png

Last edited:
That’s awesome Bean! What are your expectations with that beast!? You know, I have been following your threads since the beginning. Very Nice!

That’s awesome Bean! What are your expectations with that beast!? You know, I have been following your threads since the beginning. Very Nice!
My only expectation is to stay competitive against these guys that are blessed with good weather and conditions. I fight wind and radio interference all of the time from my home location :confused:

But I can't complain, I think I love mod'ing a little more than flying and this gives me good excuses across the board.

The next monster mod for this will be replacing the motors with P3 units and props and creating new rotor arms on the 3D printer. We had a little success with this on the M1 but it was just too much for the little M1 to handle. We have high expectations that the native 4S M2 will mate nicely with the P3 motors. This should allow for an AUW of 2 kilos (or more) to round out with more batteries and more distance. This will take a while, but we will get there eventually :)

Reactions: Drone Master
My only expectation is to stay competitive against these guys that are blessed with good weather and conditions. I fight wind and radio interference all of the time from my home location :confused:

But I can't complain, I think I love mod'ing a little more than flying and this gives me good excuses across the board.

The next monster mod for this will be replacing the motors with P3 units and props and creating new rotor arms on the 3D printer. We had a little success with this on the M1 but it was just too much for the little M1 to handle. We have high expectations that the native 4S M2 will mate nicely with the P3 motors. This should allow for an AUW of 2 kilos (or more) to round out with more batteries and more distance. This will take a while, but we will get there eventually :)
What type of Mosfets does the M2 use? We can compare the specs between the M1s and P4 to see what to expect.

It would also be interesting to know if the M2 will work on 5s.

I finally got my Zoom in and took it out today to play with it! I just took it out for a 2 mile spin and to test the return to home. First charge so I wanted to make sure I got back with 50% on the battery. Compared to flying the Mavic Air the Zoom was like flying a 747!

I am submitting this STOCK CLASS flight for consideration to be placed on the leader board.

Reactions: SkyNinja
What was the verdict for using Litchi waypoints as a possible alternative to get past the mavic hard distance limit? I was thinking about giving this a shot but couldn't remember the latest theories.

I was also thinking about proposing that the unlimited class remove the rule that the RC must stay in place during the entire flight. If we can never figure out this limit, why not make it interesting and allow some creative competition??

I was also thinking about proposing that the unlimited class remove the rule that the RC must stay in place during the entire flight. If we can never figure out this limit, why not make it interesting and allow some creative competition??
I like that Idea!

What was the verdict for using Litchi waypoints as a possible alternative to get past the mavic hard distance limit? I was thinking about giving this a shot but couldn't remember the latest theories.

I don’t believe anybody has really tested Litchi. I’m pretty sure with Litchi you will have to set up a lot waypoints because the app does not let you set waypoints too far apart from each other.

I like that Idea!
OK, had enough leaderboard responses for a quorum. Here is the edit verbiage for the unlimited/suicide class:

"***The remote controller and its antennas can physically move location at will during the flight in this class (alternative methods from Airdata may be needed to calculate max distance from the original home point and will be noted here as this technique evolves). **Suicide class does not require a return flight back to the original take off home point. This class has the same rules as unlimited."

Happy 2 year anniversary mavicpilots moderators! You have curated a fine site here and thank you.
Thanks bean , really don't seem that long . It's all been good other than I went from just looking like a 63 yr old to this.
the-ultimate-warrior-head-shaking-gif-james-brian-3.gif .;)

Reactions: Former Member
Tried my first range test today, and it's not even worth posting LOL Had a hard signal drop at 2MI. (Almost exact @ 10595ft) Not sure why, the area is pretty open, but there is a lot of tree cover around, so possibly that's it. Too bad, the weather was almost perfect :rolleyes:

Tried my first range test today, and it's not even worth posting LOL Had a hard signal drop at 2MI. (Almost exact @ 10595ft) Not sure why, the area is pretty open, but there is a lot of tree cover around, so possibly that's it. Too bad, the weather was almost perfect :rolleyes:
How high were you at 2 miles?

Figured out AirData: Looks like the signal got crappier sooner than I realized even. It ended up initiating a RTH and then I bumped up the altitude a little and re-attempting when the signal came back. Once I hit the 2MI mark I was comin' home ASAP because the mosquitoes were awful.

Edited

Last edited:
Reactions: SkyNinja
So effortlessly done! Got my 2x MS 4000 batteries yesterday and I plan, hopefully, on doing the mod this week.

I am submitting this STOCK CLASS flight for consideration to be placed on the leader board.
AirData Link

Last edited:
Reactions: Joebie and SkyNinja
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fredguillot02