DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Official Mavic Air Range Leaderboard!

hellow.. any news on your Raptor SR ? eagerly waiting for your test and report :)
Well i just got it today and installed it.. it is pretty windy 16mph.... I might go out later and do a test a proper test;) i will say there is a radio tower 4500 ft away from my house so just under a mile....i could never get to it from my house (because no los, neighbors house and huge tree) i would have to walk down the street a little bit to get los straight to tower. Even with mavic pro.... well I just took off from my house and went straight to the tower no problems, no cutouts, no lag..... I can tell this thing is the truth

Attachments

• org_b40f699ec94f3193_1520290762000-01.jpeg
    org_b40f699ec94f3193_1520290762000-01.jpeg
    5.9 MB · Views: 42
Reactions: cyborg
Well i just got it today and installed it.. it is pretty windy 16mph.... I might go out later and do a test a proper test;) i will say there is a radio tower 4500 ft away from my house so just under a mile....i could never get to it from my house (because no los, neighbors house and huge tree) i would have to walk down the street a little bit to get los straight to tower. Even with mavic pro.... well I just took off from my house and went straight to the tower no problems, no cutouts, no lag..... I can tell this thing is the truth

Awesome, thanks Mike.. hope you get a chance to do one of your long distance runs soon :D

Second attempt.. 3099M. .. bone stock. 5mph winds, no interferance or dropouts..landed with 33%, @Drone Master IMG_3207.PNG

Attachments

• IMG_3F344EA7D542-1.jpeg
    IMG_3F344EA7D542-1.jpeg
    559.7 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Man this drone is unbeatable for its size. I'm glad I dont have to worry about this $1299 Mavic Pro 2 anymore since this thing is a beast!!

Man this drone is unbeatable for its size. I'm glad I dont have to worry about this $1299 Mavic Pro 2 anymore since this thing is a beast!!
I've flown Inspire 1, and Inspire pros for 2 and a half years, and this little thing is very impressive.

I've flown Inspire 1, and Inspire pros for 2 and a half years, and this little thing is very impressive.
I’m hoping for a 4k 60 update from this thing, and maybe an efficiency update to bring up flight time to hopefully 24min? Also low noise props, and this would blow my mind.

Reactions: Drone1aerial
I’m hoping for a 4k 60 update from this thing, and maybe an efficiency update to bring up flight time to hopefully 24min? Also low noise props, and this would blow my mind.
You might get everything except for the low noise props... these things are tiny, and need to spin at a higher RPM than the I1's 13 inch props with more surface area. The Air is a bit noisy, but I dont mind it too much.

You might get everything except for the low noise props... these things are tiny, and need to spin at a higher RPM than the I1's 13 inch props with more surface area. The Air is a bit noisy, but I dont mind it too much.
If I even get only 4K 60, I’d be content. With added flight time? Mavic Pro is worthless until pro 2 comes out for the phantom 4 pro users that need a bit more portability.

I’ll try to post some range tests while I’m in a bit higher location, mountains in Colorado coming up in a few weeks. If I pick up a 4Hawks by then, I’ll do that as well as some screw on 8dbi Omni antennas I have from my phantom 3.

Hey folks, new flyer here. Did a 5200m flight across a frozen lake to see our old family cottage. -10 weather with 29km gusts east to west. Ripped this air at 13m above lake and hit 73km per hour. Should have kept it out of return to home as it popped it up 29m high. Corrected that crap but lessoned learned!

All stock.

Now I wonder how far I would have got if it wasn’t so **** cold. @Long Ranger

Attachments

• 6A11E6F4-1142-4ECC-BEF3-AE2BC57EE173.jpeg
    6A11E6F4-1142-4ECC-BEF3-AE2BC57EE173.jpeg
    406.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 9708633D-BCDD-4CBC-A1D3-A58FEC652140.png
    9708633D-BCDD-4CBC-A1D3-A58FEC652140.png
    1 MB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Ok so just did my first real test run. With 4hawks raptor sr.....couple things to note.... this is a very urban area lots of WiFi.....
I always fly in 5.8 i get better signal but wanted to try 2.4ghz
Hd downlink...(image transmission) is way better this is a biggie....i made it out to 13,843 ft or 4219meters... this is spectacular because I would have never did this in 2.4 where I live i have flight log and will be uploading a video showing the HD down link usually at about two thousand feet sometimes less! it would start to Break-Up and lag really bad......yea not with this antenna..... I can only imagine what 5.8 ghz will be like!!! Ok so is the 4Hawks Raptor Sr Antenna worth? it hell yes!!! Video will be up soon.... you will see in the video I could have went another thousand feet but did not want to push my luck....smart rth again screwed me! because i could not cancel it tried pressing X on the screen quite a few times.... I had to flip into sport mode to cancel it and back to pmode....but the aircraft came back a good bit and I turned around and kept on..... in the future I think I can configure the "fn" button to cancel smart return home....
...p.s there is my flight log @Long Ranger put me on for 4219m this is modded antenna.... remember guys I am not flying in the wide-open area like over water or over tons of open field..... this is about as Urban as it gets I think this proves how great the image transmission is on this drone with the 4hawks

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2018-03-06_[09-56-09].txt
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20180306-102444_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20180306-102444_Samsung Internet.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Reactions: cyborg and JB999
Here is video of flight with 4 hawks.... if you check out my YouTube channel you will see the distance run I did stock a few weeks ago on 2.4ghz.... notice the lag on image transmission feed .....this antenna pretty much eliminated it. So not only am i in a high wifi traffic area lots of interference. I got close to 2 miles with pretty much no lag.....wow!!!

Last edited:
Wasn't trying for range, had to fly around some things as well so could easily go further.

Just to compare.. here is stock run from 3 wks ago in same channel 2.4 and same height. notice from 1500ft and on signal is sporadic and had a super hard time over river. ....in and out of signal....shoot if this video doesn't show you how much more stable 4hawks makes the hd feed idk what will ! Basically i get to over 8500ft in my 4hawks video without lag! This video not so good. Def recommend it. Especially for people who don't really do distance runs also I could see this being really good for in close stabe hd feed. Its rock solid.

Ok so just did my first real test run. With 4hawks raptor sr.....couple things to note.... this is a very urban area lots of WiFi.....
I always fly in 5.8 i get better signal but wanted to try 2.4ghz
Hd downlink...(image transmission) is way better this is a biggie....i made it out to 13,843 ft or 4219meters... this is spectacular because I would have never did this in 2.4 where I live i have flight log and will be uploading a video showing the HD down link usually at about two thousand feet sometimes less! it would start to Break-Up and lag really bad......yea not with this antenna..... I can only imagine what 5.8 ghz will be like!!! Ok so is the 4Hawks Raptor Sr Antenna worth? it **** yes!!! Video will be up soon.... you will see in the video I could have went another thousand feet but did not want to push my luck....smart rth again screwed me! because i could not cancel it tried pressing X on the screen quite a few times.... I had to flip into sport mode to cancel it and back to pmode....but the aircraft came back a good bit and I turned around and kept on..... in the future I think I can configure the "fn" button to cancel smart return home....
...p.s there is my flight log @Drone Master put me on for 4219m this is modded antenna.... remember guys I am not flying in the wide-open area like over water or over tons of open field..... this is about as Urban as it gets I think this proves how great the image transmission is on this drone with the 4hawks

Great flight!! Your issue with not being able to cancel RTH, was due to that other message you had on the screen while trying to cancel, obviously a bug in the go app, i have experienced it myself. Make sure the screen is clean from random messages when canceling....[emoji106][emoji106]

Great flight!! Your issue with not being able to cancel RTH, was due to that other message you had on the screen while trying to cancel, obviously a bug in the go app, i have experienced it myself. Make sure the screen is clean from random messages when canceling....[emoji106][emoji106]
Nice thank you LOL I guess you figured that one out ... trial and error;)

Man if im going to try to break 5000m with this 4hawks antenna I'm going to have to go somewhere pretty wide open.... where there is nothing around

Man if im going to try to break 5000m with this 4hawks antenna I'm going to have to go somewhere pretty wide open.... where there is nothing around
A few tips:
- A warm battery at take off
- An open field where you will have a clear LOS even if you do not go to more then 30-40 meters of altitude (saves power to stay low)
- The open field also allows for emergencey landing if you do not make it all the way home
- Avoid to have water the closest 1000 meters (Same reason as above)
- Make a shorter (3-4000 meters) test run before the main run, to collect data on power consumption per 100 meters (so you know when you need to turn, there is no need to gamble, e.g. knowing that 43 % will actually take you back from the turn is a comfort)
- Do not waste power on Auto RTH, be ready to cancel quickly...;)
- Practice flying below 10 % of battery, you will need to be able to control the AC (efficiently) the last 1000 meters while "fighting" the Auto Landing.

As you see from my tips, with the 4Hawks its all about how to manage the battery life....
Looking forward to get company on the other side of the 5km mark......;)
Cheers !!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DJIMavic3cine