DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Okay, now that the Mini 3 Pro has officially been released. Will you buy it?

Ordered through DJI store, there goes my bonus!

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
Based on how everything looks, I'll buy it but I'm going to wait a few months and see how it pans out. I mean I still have my original mini and I'm gonna need this thing to last.

I will definitely wait then we will see whether to make this purchase or not ... for the moment I stay with my beloved Mini 2.

I have reliable information that this Mini 3 gets warm enough, like the Zino mini Pro? with display warning (drone processor chip overheated)

View attachment 148063
image taken from: Quadcopter News
There is no internal fan on this drone - DJI needed to cut something in order to keep it under 250g so obviously the cooling system went. Hope their decision doesn’t bite us all in the *** 6 months down the road!

Reactions: EliteBleader
I will definitely wait then we will see whether to make this purchase or not ... for the moment I stay with my beloved Mini 2.

I have reliable information that this Mini 3 gets warm enough, like the Zino mini Pro? with display warning (drone processor chip overheated)

View attachment 148063
image taken from: Quadcopter News
The one I heard about the guy was outside on a hot day doing an update.
Sheesh - all the DJI drones can get exceptionally hot during a firmware upgrade.
I'm guessing the Mini 3 has a weak-ish internal fan for weight purposes.
This is of concern mostly to people that do hover tests and such instead of actually flying the darned thing.

To each his own.

In the unscientific poll that I did here a while ago, the substantial majority of the Mavic 3 owners who responded are happy or very happy with their drones.
Agreed - it seems there are glass-half-empty folks that get upset about relatively minor features.
The only thing the reviews have dissed so far is the 4k/60 limitation for the canned shots and active track.
EVERYONE agrees that side collision detect would be better but so far DJI has only implemented it as IR sensors on a Phantom. Even then it only works in tripod mode which is incredibly slow.
I'm pretty impressed overall also I pre-ordered one. My major disappointment is the sensor is still 8 bits instead of 10.
Not stopping me from getting it though. My second order disappointment is the 48mp image isn't available with any of the photo "modes" like AEB or panorama. Again - not going to keep me from buying since I can do that manually since they now have manual camera control. W00t!

I’m still more than happy flying my MA2. Rock solid & reliable. That said, when it eventually decides to see how deep the Pacific Ocean is (bound to happen sooner or later) I’d be inclined to buy a mini 3 pro.
Same! I'm flying a MA2 currently, and I'm totally happy with it!
When it will be time to upgrade I might get the Mini 3 as the Mavic 3 is too expensive for me :)

Reactions: Squidinc
Ordered 🙂. I just went with the drone and standard remote. I did consider just using the one from my Mini2 to save £70, but I don’t really need 2 drones so hoping to sell that on eBay (annoyingly they’ve just had one of their reduced selling fee events this past weekend, so will probably have to wait a few weeks for the next). Hoping it comes on time as I have some time off at the end of the month to play with it 😁

Reactions: Yaros
The one I heard about the guy was outside on a hot day doing an update.
Sheesh - all the DJI drones can get exceptionally hot during a firmware upgrade.
I'm guessing the Mini 3 has a weak-ish internal fan for weight purposes.
This is of concern mostly to people that do hover tests and such instead of actually flying the darned thing.
from what I have seen and heard, I can confirm that the Mini 3 has no internal cooling fan.
I agree with what you say.

Why would a “Pro” user be interested in this over the rest of DJI line? It’s not the best camera spec wise. But, obviously everything is a trade off. A few things that interest me:

1) Smallest form factor
2) Lower noise and visual signature (potentially) - reduce bystander’s safety and privacy concerns
3) Latest obstacle avoidance with wider FOVs
4) 47 min battery??!? Well now, let’s see.
5) Improved wind resistance - Same as Air 2S?

Anyone here considering “downgrading” to a Mini 3 Pro? If so, why? I’m curious what is your missions?

I may wait for the bugs and real world performance reports to come in and look for a sale package with all the bells and whistles.

Anyone here considering “downgrading” to a Mini 3 Pro? If so, why? I’m curious what is your missions?
Would you consider switching from the M2P to the Mini 3 Pro a downgrade?
If so, then yes. If not, I still describe my thoughts why I preordered:

while I am perfectly fine with the quality of the M2P, I do have noticed over the past 2,5 years, that regulations become tighter, people get more privacy concerns. Having no C label in the EU, it will render soon useless in most of my favourite genres, like cityscape and architecture as I am ordered to keep 150 m from buildings and people (not to mention other flight restrictions in parks or natural areas too). And as the bundled SC is only supporting the Air 2S which faces the same destiny with its heavier MTOM, the Mini 3 Pro steps in quite nicely for an upgrade for a reasonable price.

Or let's say, 3 years have passed so DJI can mostly incorporate everything and a bit better what the M2P featured into a sub par 250 g drone.

The Mavic 3, I considered getting for a very brief time, just showed in its state and price, that is not aimed for the recreational flyer. DJI avoids a lot of legal necessities with just dropping the weight drastically and in my opinion have presented a real sound package for the eager hobbyist. It is a real game changer to incorporate so many things in so compact space and I am certain it will pay off for DJI.

To summarize:

• small and leight form factor < 250 g to prevent hard legal restrictions
  • expected reduction of noise (some reviews confirmed that and the buzzing of the Mini 2 is way deeper and less agressive to become a humming)
  • bundle with a well priced RC with screen available
  • overall a reasonable price for the package
  • f1.7 aperture, expected on par noise level & dynamic range as my trusty M2P
  • vertical mode (also an advantage for panoramas)

Let's hope the lens does not have soft spots or other qc problems occur.

Last edited:
Reactions: x-uas
Having no C label in the EU, it will render soon useless in most of my favourite genres, like cityscape and architecture as I am ordered to keep 150 m from buildings and people
The Mini 3 doesn't have C-Label for now.

And as the bundles SC is only supporting the Air 2S which faces the same destiny with its heavier MTOM
True. I'm currently flying a Mavic Air 2, and I'm completely fine with it. I briefly considered the Mini 3 just because of the C-Label and the regulations in the EU (I'm in Spain) however then I realized that no one will check my drone for a C-Mark in the area I fly (a town in the east coast of Mallorca), I doubt that anyone here even knows what a C-Label even is! So yea, I will be technically breaking the law, but I don't really care about that because who made this stupid C-Marking crap anyway?! Don't get all angry on me because I say that, okay? This is not a big deal.

The Mini 3 doesn't have C-Label for now.
I know, but with a MTOM lower than 250 g it still will be considered A1 subcategory in EASA territory even without the C label, which is a good compromise: online test every 5 years, near people flights possible. :)

And I doubt, DJI will ever get deeper into the C label system anymore of the EU.
Professional productions with heavier drones just need to certify and apply anyway, so there's that.

My experiences in Spain, Portugal and Italy (Mid to South) all have been very positive. As long as you have common sense and probably ask, there was never a problem. Most of them didn't even notice anyway.

But in Germany/Austria it has become a real pain in the denser areas, where I live. With a prospective introduction of an online application system for flight approval in the upcoming years, that may ease (or not). With a drone lower than 250 g you are still on a good basis for moderate restrictions.

In your case, I would most likely act the same. No complaint, no redress
Happy flying.

Last edited:
I know, but with a MTOM lower than 250 g it still will be considered A1 subcategory in EASA territory even without the C label, which is a good compromise: online test every 5 years, near people flights possible. :)
Oh, didn't know that! Thanks :)

And I doubt, DJI will ever get deeper into the C label system anymore for the EU.
Yeah, I think the same...

Originally I answered no in the poll but having thought more about it I am considering it for the less strict regulations since there's been a couple of times recently it would have been handy to be able to fly nearer to people than my M2P allows (normally I fly in the middle of nowhere so don't need to worry about the A3 rules). I'm trying to understand the drone rules though, from what I can see my M2P is currently A3 but if I get an A2 certification that upgrades it to A2. However after January 2023, the Mini 3 would retain its A1 category but the M2P would be A3 even with the A2 certification:

After 1 January 2023, you can continue to fly a ‘legacy’ unmarked drone in the following categories:

• Drones under 250g can continue to be flown in the A1 sub category.
  • All other drones must only be used in the A3 sub category.

I may have this wrong though.

I've also been wondering about whether the size and how useful the smaller size/weight is in practice. I use a small backpack with one compartment big enough for a camera/lens and a second lens in the top pocket or the Mavic 2 Pro/tablet in the main compartment and the controller in the top pocket. I have a larger backpack that will take both drone and camera but it's too big for cycling, the M2P is just slightly too long and wide to sit in the main bag alongside something like the A9/100-400mm. However if the Mini could fit in beside the camera then I could easily carry both with me, that's maybe something existing Mini owners can comment on?

After seeing the issues with the Mavic 3 I'll wait and see how people are getting on with the new Mini first though.

@Yaros
easa_a1.PNG

You are welcome.

• Love
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jlhdez