DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Old people don't die they just fade away

Wow so much fun here. I'm turning 69 in a couple weeks had my MA since last May. Spent the summer in NH and found a friend there to fly with some times. Now back in AZ and trying to keep are flying interesting. He of course is winter bound and I'm summer bound so to speak. But I trying to find ways to keep us interested and I came up with a game I think we all can play.Give each other challenges. My first is to video something unique to where you live and have it tell us were you are.Lets keep it in this thread. I'll start.

Great idea bigbird48. I’ll try to submit something the next chance I get. It’s cold and rainy here right now.

Ken

Reactions: mereflyer
I have driven up Black Canyon north of Phoenix on the way to Flagstaff many times.
To add to the old person theme of this thread let me say this. I turned 84 last month. I have been flying drones for about 3 years. Drone flying caught my interest because after 20 years of professional photography in flowers and landscapes I wanted to take my photography to a new level. Excuse the bad pun, but I use it every time someone asks me why I fly drones.
Recently, videos from flying my drones, especially my Mavic 2 pro, have shown that there is a terrible problem of juniper (cedar) tree die off in Southeastern Utah. These videos have caught the attention of the federal authorities and they are starting to seriously try to find out what is causing this extremely unusual mortality. My flying over the juniper/pinyon forests has been perfectly legal in case you are wondering.

So add this to the growing list of beneficial uses for drones.

I turn 74 in a couple of weeks time. Though i have some medical issues like most my age i am fortunate enough to still be reasonable active. Have been an amateur videographer since i was a teenager using 8mm film. The UAV adds another diension to my hobby and a futher spur to travel.

Active, inactive it is a great hobby that can safely enjoyed by all! You can be as adventurous or not as you are able and there are many interesting videos that can be taken just in your neighborhood if you can’t access beautiful exotic spaces. Fly and enjoy!

Come on Guys I put a Challenge out there get off your OLD duffs and lets see some video's or some stills Thumbswayup

Another 70 year old here in St Augustine, FL. I have a 40 year old son about to retire from USAF who first got me into 10th scale RC cars 5 years ago and 8 months ago into drone flying. Been flying Mavic Pro since June 2018 and becoming quite the aerial videographer. what a previous forum contributor said is so very true: an endless learning curve keeps the brain active; and I'll add that those occasional "rough landings" (I've had 3 crashes- all pilot error, last 2 over-confident pilot error), they, too, have proven beneficial as I've successfully undertaken self-repair. A broken gimbal mount, a broken gimbal flexible ribbon, and yesterday a broken front leg. Even did my own wrap!

Reactions: NAVMAV and WAXMAN
Great video Black Swan lake, nice still UK . were getting started lets get more you old gezzers LOL I'm off to PT for my new Knee back in a bit .

76 yr old here, taking our sweet time ignoring a stage four, terminal prostate cancer diagnosis in 2006.

Our Mavic Air arrived in August, and took us a week or so to get comfy with it. Since then the rewards - in so many areas - have been nothing short of 'life-saving', particularly as a total distraction from our Health Issues.

Our entire Family became involved; from our youngest Grandboy to both Sons, their spouses, and by far not the least... our wonderful, sympathetic Neighborhood Friends.

For an investment of roughly $1400 CAD, the results are priceless - so far. But even better, they just keep COMING, and... we keep GOING!~

Rgds, NAVMAV

Reactions: Bobby Brown
Hey good for you Keep taking your time and keep ignoring :)and hey lets see some of those amazing photos you all been takin:cool:

NAVMAV from your message I can see many more Drones coming in your future. Always nice to have family involved with your hobby. Maybe you could get a volume discount. Cheaper by the dozen you know. LOL

I'm 63 and in reasonably good health. 45 years in the business of managing medium to large construction projects. I became obsessed with drones 2 and a half years ago and have loved every minute of it. Currently have 3 drones I use for my work, a MP, P4P and M2P. I'm about to have to renew my Part 107 as well. What I love about flying drones is the exhilaration, the beauty of the "perfect shot", and even the nervousness sometimes. I reviewed my flight logs last night and was surprised to see that I've flown over a thousand miles and nearly 175 hours flying time. Although I'm in construction I have no desire to do 3d, Lidar, or Agricultural type work. My focus is on project progress photos/videos and the final product. I'm about a month out from rolling out my BRAND and will have a website to illustrate my work. I always try to find a unique shot during every flight. If I go even a couple of days of no flying I get antsy. I can't imagine I'll ever want to give up this thrill that started as a hobby but I've parlayed into a legitimate business. Gonna be my side hustle during my retirement which is coming just around the bend.

Reactions: Bobby Brown
I fly almost everyday even if I just sit on my back deck and fly around the yard. I never know what I'll see. My very first flight with my drone I videoed a Mtn Lion going thru my back yard. Funny thing I never even knew it till I was looking at the video after on my computer, as was concentrating on flying down my driveway with out hitting the trees. ever since that day that back yard is a great place to fly just a couple weeks ago on my morning flight

Last edited:
Been an explorer all my life. Now at my age the exploring is a walk around the neighborhood. That is until I got my Mavic 2 Zoom a few months ago. Now I'm up in the mountains exploring again. Setting in my portable chair with coffee in cup holder and snacks in the cooler. Life is great again.

I bought the RE Goggles at the same time as the Mavic. The goggles don't work for me (only have one eye working) so I was going to return them. People starting stopping by me as I was flying to observe. Most people stopping were in the 50+ age group. I let a few of the most curious try the goggles with gimbal headtracking enabled while I flew VLOS. Everyone that tried the goggles were amazed. I'm keeping goggles for observers. Its fun to listen to their excited comments.

A lot of these seniors were now hooked on drones and wanted to know what, where and which drone to buy. Many had the same problem as I do (old age), can't get around much anymore. The physical handicapped also loved the drone.

Politicians before you past any more regulatory laws, think about the benefits drones give to many people. Sure a few people will complain about drones and abuse the drones, but the majority will accept them as they become more common. Enforce the laws you now have. Don't punish the responsible majority of drone pilots with new laws.
67 years old and flying my MP is one of my enjoyable pastimes. I also love to have other seniors put on my Goggles and experience the drone while I fly it. We may be old but we still love to rock and roll!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deepdark