DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

One more quiz for the day. Mechanical quiz this time.

Rob, when I pm’d you about my 1st flight and the problems I experienced with it we did agree not to use my name “Donny deDolt” o_O

I didn’t think you would make my problem into a “what I done wrong” thread.....but now I know all the answers.;)

I couldn’t resist rob... I just wish for once I could be serious :D

Rob, when I pm’d you about my 1st flight and the problems I experienced with it we did agree not to use my name “Donny deDolt” o_O

I didn’t think you would make my problem into a “what I done wrong” thread.....but now I know all the answers.;)

just think what an inspiration you have been to his story writing its a good way for newbies to learn its a shame that only the old hands seem to answer the quiz lets hope the less informed read these threads and learn from them

No need to start being serious now! By the way, I think you're the only one who understands my sense of humor!

Reactions: Porky
The last quiz was procedural, and what the pilot did wrong. Call it a "reading comprehension" test.

This one will focus more on the mechanical aspects of responsible drone ownership. It's a long one. Can you think of at least 5 things he did wrong? Please, one answer per member! This is fictitious story, meant to highlight what NOT to do when flying your drone.

My friend Donny deDolt went to a beach in Florida to fly his brand new, never before flown, Mavic 2 Pro. It was a beautiful sunny day, around 110°f, and not a cloud in the sky. Donny decided to take off from the beach parking lot from the back of his pickup truck. He hooked everything up, and when the display came on, it said something about a firmware update. I'll do it later, he thought, and started the drone. As soon as it got off the bed of the pickup truck, it started flying wildly in uncontrollable circles. Piece of crap, he thought. So, Donny grudgingly marched down to the beach, put the M2P on the soft sand, and cranked up the motors. Finally, he thought, Im gonna fly! He decided to be safe, and let the drone take itself off. He hit the auto takeoff button, and the drone climbed up to a dozen or so feet, hovered for a second, and then started doing the wild circles again. This time, the drone hit a lifeguard chair, knocked the lifeguard off the chair, and climbed up again. Donny yelled that he was sorry, and proceeded to continue his flight.

At this point, Donny felt very confident that he had the ability to control the drone, so he decided to take it out over the beautiful Caribbean. Up it went, but due to the direct sunlight, Donny couldnt see his display. Heck, he thought, I can still see it with my eyes. But soon, the drone had gone so far out over the water, Donny lost sight of it. He couldnt see the display, so he ran under an umbrella, to try to see the display better. Finally he could see again. He thought he saw a dolphin swimming below, so he descended down to 10' to get a closeup. All was fine until he lost video feed. "What do I do?" he cried. Then nothing. For a few minutes, nothing on the screen. Then video feed came back but the drone was flying very slowly, Dang, he thought, it will never make it back at that speed because of the 20mph headwind. Flash! Quick thinking, he switched it into sport mode. Soon he was cruising back at 20 mph, and thought for sure he would make it back. As soon as it hit the shoreline, the critical battery function kicked in. The drone started to land. Donny did everything he could do to bring it back to him but it just kept coming down. Lucky for him, it was over land. The bad news is that it came down, and since the sensors were deactivated, landed on the head of the same lifeguard it had hit before. Donny got into an argument with the lifeguard, emphatically denied any wrong doing, and stood his ground against the stalwart lifeguard. Donnys family is accepting donations for his hospital stay. He is expected to make a partial recovery.

What did Donny do wrong?

Ok, too much in a hurry was the first thing, then the high heat, magnetic interference (truck bed), needs compass calibration, ignored firmware update notice, possible signal attenuation by metal umbrella, flying over water very low, started downwind flight over hostile terrain with low battery, loss of VLOS, bad management of battery flight time.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead