DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Opinions and thoughts needed on using an iPad Pro 9.7 for video editing/storage/viewing footage?

kewadiak

Reactions
I was thinking if you guys thought it would be possible to use an iPad Pro 9.7 as my only device for viewing and editing footage. I understand I would never be able to color correct footage in iMovie.

Questions
1. How would I deal with the large footage files storage wise? Even if I get the 256Gb its not like I can hook up an external hard drive any suggestions? I would use a lighting to camera reader and I'm sure it will be extremely slow since I will be using all 4k footage?

2. How would I add music to my footage can you use, say like audioblocks and download to the iPad for iMovie?

3. Anyone using only an iPad. I will not have any other Mac computers. I am just thinking of returning my 13 inch MBP 16 and purchasing the iPad as my only device since I love the portability.

Lacie makes a cool external that works with iOS in 1TB or 2TB sizes. That could help you once you've edited your footage for long term storage.

You can access any audio files in iCloud Drive so you could save them from whatever source you'd like and use them in iMovie.

I have edited from start to scratch on only an iPad Pro 12.9. Great experience for me.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: mavikkz
Lacie makes a cool external that works with iOS in 1TB or 2TB sizes. That could help you once you've edited your footage for long term storage.

You can access any audio files in iCloud Drive so you could save them from whatever source you'd like and use them in iMovie.

I have edited from start to scratch on only an iPad Pro 12.9. Great experience for me.

Thank you, I know there is always icloud to save video in but there storage for 1tb is pretty pricey and would take forever to save large footage over wifi.

While you can certainly find a way to make that possible, by sticking to an iOS-only workflow, you are essentially handicapping the Mavic's video capabilities by limiting yourself to just 1080 footage which is further degraded and compressed when edited on the iOS version of iMovie. If you're just posting videos for mobile device consumption and viewing then that would be fine, but in my opinion, even if your intended final product is only 1080 or 720p, there is still a huge image quality benefit in capturing 4k footage, editing in 4k, and downconverting to HD or less on a proper machine and good software like FCPX, Premiere Pro, Davinci Resolve, or even the OSX version of iMovie. The Mavic captures quality 4k footage, so why not use it to its potential? Otherwise, you might as well just get a cheaper drone with a 1080p camera if you're just going to edit highly-compressed lower resolution video on a mobile device.

If you're really dead set on doing such a thing, at least skip on the iPad Pro because you're better off using an Android tablet device that has a micro-SD card slot (like the Sony Z4 tablet), import the actual 4k footage from the Mavic's SD card and edit with an app like VideoShow Pro which can handle 4k footage for editing which sre evetually output as 1080p. Otherwise, keep your 2016 Macbook pro. iMovie on OSX is very good software and should you ever need to step up your production value in the future, such a platform will leave you with even more powerful video editing apps like FCPX , Davinci Resolve. or Premier Pro at your disposal. I use FCPX on my '16 MBP and because FCPX takes full advantage of the MBP's hardware like the 460 graphics card (unlike Adobe apps), it handles 4k files and rendering without breaking a sweat.

While you can certainly find a way to make that possible, by sticking to an iOS-only workflow, you are essentially handicapping the Mavic's video capabilities by limiting yourself to just 1080 footage which is further degraded and compressed when edited on the iOS version of iMovie. If you're just posting videos for mobile device consumption and viewing then that would be fine, but in my opinion, even if your intended final product is only 1080 or 720p, there is still a huge image quality benefit in capturing 4k footage, editing in 4k, and downconverting to HD or less on a proper machine and good software like FCPX, Premiere Pro, Davinci Resolve, or even the OSX version of iMovie. The Mavic captures quality 4k footage, so why not use it to its potential? Otherwise, you might as well just get a cheaper drone with a 1080p camera if you're just going to edit highly-compressed lower resolution video on a mobile device.

If you're really dead set on doing such a thing, at least skip on the iPad Pro because you're better off using an Android tablet device that has a micro-SD card slot (like the Sony Z4 tablet), import the actual 4k footage from the Mavic's SD card and edit with an app like VideoShow Pro which can handle 4k footage for editing which sre evetually output as 1080p. Otherwise, keep your 2016 Macbook pro. iMovie on OSX is very good software and should you ever need to step up your production value in the future, such a platform will leave you with even more powerful video editing apps like FCPX , Davinci Resolve. or Premier Pro at your disposal. I use FCPX on my '16 MBP and because FCPX takes full advantage of the MBP's hardware like the 460 graphics card (unlike Adobe apps), it handles 4k files and rendering without breaking a sweat.

My iPad Pro can edit 4K video natively. It can even export the final project as 4K.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan