DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Out filming some cruise ships and wanted to be in the exact same position for each

mavictk

Reactions
I live near a Port and wanted to video many cruise ships leaving port over a couple of hours time span. I tried to position the Air 2S by finding a common point on the ground, by looking down through the camera, because I had to return to this point for every cruise ship because of the time delay between departures. Additionally, I was only rotating (yawing?) the Air 2S and not moving it horizontally or vertically from the point. This technique worked out but I decided to find a more exacting technique so that I would be in the same exact point for these shots in the future.

One technique I just tested just now was to use the Air 2S Hyperlapse to set up two waypoints and save them. Later I could invoke Hyperlapse and then cancel it once over the first waypoint. This technique seems to work.

Now I ask for other suggestions to make sure I am not making this harder than it should be.

P.S. I am using the Fly app and an RC Pro.

While it would require an additional purchase, I think using the Litchi app would provide more precise control than the hyperlapse "hack" you are currently using.

Even using just 2 waypoints, Litchi adds the ability to specify drone heading and the gimbal pitch into the automated waypoint settings.

I *think* the hyperlapse waypoints basically mark the lat/lon and altitude. A focus "subject" can be defined, but may not be as accurate over repeated outings, because I believe it has to be defined on the screen each time

That sounds like a great idea! How do I get the Litchi app on the Air 2S system? I've never done anything like that before.
You'll need to purchase and install the Litchi app onto the device you connect to your remote control. You'll then use that app, instead of DJI Fly when you fly.

Also, you can use Litchi's online "Mission Hub" to pre-plan missions on the computer.

I used Ground Station Pro v1.8.5. Super easy to set up a mission with 2 waypoints and then move one of the waypoints to your drone's location and then save it. I use this for traffic analysis. I have to park my drone in the same spot every time over the course of a dozen or so videos. I remember the altitude. That said, you can program GSP to bring the drone there automatically, but I just fly to the spot because it's much fast.

Good luck.

D

Reactions: mavictk