DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Out of signal range waypoint missions

intresting about the signal and waypoints thousands of mission with the M1P sigmal lost is a way of life If in the flats sometimes 5 miles but at that distance video quality is bad unless your at higher elevations and if you are looking for something on the ground it makes these sort of flights useless but i can say if you go beyound 4 miles you will be doing it at 25 mph or more if you want to see the color of the rocks on the ground M1P allitude 75 ft or less speed 8 to 11 mph and range drasticaly decreased to 4.5 miles round trip so the speed consumption ratio I don,t really know but if looks like its useing more battery to keep it in the air at slower speeds to me The M1P and spark show amazing judgement when it comes time to return home signal or no signal they return unless pilot error like to low of a rth allitude if winds and mission seem to long they ask if you have signal if you don,t they will return on there own I,ve have seen this more time than i can count and always with all the footage it could reach i lay the missions out and send and I,m still amazed at this making me the dumbest pilot i know but can cover alot of ground with 1 M1P

You can run down to a little Below Zero Battery but you have to fight the Force to land , which is a skill that you can practice. Simply put you have to learn how to fly with your Sticks up , without letting go on the way back .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. land on the Water.
I'm not sure what this has to do with this thread.

Reactions: FLDave
When posting about these types of flights it is common courtesy to include what country you are flying in. Flights out of VLOS are illegal in most countries, but may be legal where you fly.

DJI drones are programmed to RTH when they lose connection with the controller. There are packages that allow for fully autonomous flight outside of controller range, but DJI does not provide that type of software and does not warrant their product for use with such software.

Writing a nasty email to DJI will likely lead to an equally non respectful reply.
I am in the Philippines. The mavic 3 waypoint missions allow you to continue to fly when you're out of signal range.

Exactly right! People like this need to be educated about flight rules and if behaving like this even after being informed of the rules and danger arrising from ignoring them, should be dealt with according to the relevant laws. I am not a party pooper but flying waypoints mission BVLS in any enhanced geo zone let alone blue one is downright stupid!
I don't know why you say that. I'm below 400 feet, and aircraft have to be above 1,000 feet. Correct?

Reactions: sbunting
Yesterday I flew two out of signal waypoint missions close to our airport. In the first one, I forgot to start recording. How stupid is that? Watching the video from the second one, the drone seemed to not fly the correct waypoint mission. Does anyone know how to get the map of a flight you have flown from the drone? Please let me know. One interesting thing I found out, is their's a small plane airport, right next to the international airport. And it's runway isn't in the red zone. So you can fly fight over the runway. I'll post a picture. This is the mission I was flying yesterday. You can see by waypoint 6, the little airports runway. It's not in the red zone.Screenshot_20230122-183707.jpg

Yes, the OP went right over the little airport.
Why would someone fly a mission right next to an international airport BVLOS??? (not to mention the small airport)
There's got to be safer places to fly...

Yes, the OP went right over the little airport.
Why would someone fly a mission right next to an international airport BVLOS??? (not to mention the small airport)
There's got to be safer places to fly...
Maybe to get video of the airport. Duh. I was not over any runway.

So that makes it safe???
I think it's fairly safe, but I might move some waypoints further away from the small airport, because I don't need to be that close. I intend to try using the 7x zoom. This is the new mission.Screenshot_20230123-004143.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, I think your new flight plan is a lot safer, especially for BVLOS flight. Hopefully any errant aircraft won't be at 300 feet!
Keep in mind that with BVLOS flight, you may not know what happened if something goes wrong. Just read the reports of lost drones on this board....

Yes, I think your new flight plan is a lot safer, especially for BVLOS flight. Hopefully any errant aircraft won't be at 300 feet!
Keep in mind that with BVLOS flight, you may not know what happened if something goes wrong. Just read the reports of lost drones on this board....
I've had 5 out of signal waypoint flights, so I'm gaining confidence. Hopefully can test the modified mission tomorrow.

Yesterday I flew two out of signal waypoint missions close to our airport. In the first one, I forgot to start recording. How stupid is that? Watching the video from the second one, the drone seemed to not fly the correct waypoint mission. Does anyone know how to get the map of a flight you have flown from the drone? Please let me know. One interesting thing I found out, is there's a small plane airport, right next to the international airport. And it's runway isn't in the red zone. So you can fly right over the runway. I'll post a picture. This is the mission I was flying yesterday. You can see by waypoint 6, the little airports runway. It's not in the red zone.View attachment 159780
The DJI's Red Restricted Zone covers the runway of the Clark International Airport, a runway which it shares with a Philippine Air Force Base!

It is VERY important to realize and understand that DJI's GeoZones do not necessarily reflect what is legal or illegal. Those GeoZones of different colours are merely DJI's effort to prevent liability falling upon themselves. It is up to you, the pilot, to determine whether what you're doing is actually legal.

By self-authorizing your own flight within that Blue Authorization Zone, you are absolving DJI of any liability, as you will have acknowledged and accepted responsibility for your own actions when flying within that zone. You need to be logged in to your validated DJI account in order to complete that self-authorization. That means DJI knows who you are.

Very important! Just because DJI doesn't prevent you from flying there doesn't mean it is legal for you to do so. I strongly suspect that flying a drone this close to an active International airport, and even closer to the small Omni Aviation Airport, without authorization from whoever controls that airspace would be just as illegal in the Philippines as it is everywhere else in the world.

Whether it's legal or not, it's definitely not smart to be using a waypoint mission to send your drone anywhere beyond the range of your control signal. especially near those airports.
I've had 5 out of signal waypoint flights, so I'm gaining confidence.
You may be gaining confidence that the drone is flying its waypoint route as programmed, and gaining confidence that it will eventually return by itself. However, during the period that it is flying by itself out of signal range, you have no idea what's happening to it and no possibility of taking corrective action if something goes wrong.

Here's an image from Google Streetview from the highway showing a Cessna on approach to the south end of the runway of the small Omni Aviation Airport. That airport runs a busy flight school. Aircraft flying out of here are very likely doing right-hand circuit patterns, meaning they turn away from the International Airport when doing circuits, towards the path of your drone's waypoint route.

Omni.jpg

Last time I checked you need to be 10 km away from any airports in the Philippines (without a special permission), so ...
I live only a mile from the airport, so then I could never fly at all! And what would be the logic of that? Planes aren't going to be at 400 feet 10 km from the airport. Plus, in the Philippines, they don't enforce laws.

Last edited:
it's definitely not smart to be using a waypoint mission to send your drone anywhere beyond the range of your control signal.
I don't agree with this at all. DJI drones are extreamly reliable. Why would they have the continue when signal lost option if it wasn't safe. I'm a pilot. Planes from the small airport will be climbing at 700 fps, so they will be above me at 300 feet in thirty seconds.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Surprise