DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Over water Sensors on or off

Exphantomflyer

Reactions
Watching this video makes me question the old advice about it, in fact the Vlogger actually says DJI removed the advice from the app. your thoughts.

Interesting one. I am not turing them off when i am flying more than 5 meters over water. If i am flying lower , i turn them off.

Behaviour is erratic with them on or off. My advice is to stay a minimum of 15' above the surface.

Yea I would never turn off the VPS. Below 30 feet the VPS is responsible for maintaining not only height but also position. The VPS can recognize what is below is and uses that to maintain not only height but also forward/side movement positioning. The drone also knows when it is over water, and at least on the P4P, it will not let you "land" on water. But yes when you get really close to water, the drone can get erratic, but it will do this regardless of the VPS being on or off. I believe it's because with VPS off it has to rely on the less accurate measurements like barometer. At least with VPS on, it will prevent the drone from landing in the water.

How does it use the VPS for forward/side movement ? Sorry , i did not quite got that. :)
Because it can "see" what is directly below it, and if what is below it is moving around, it corrects for position. It's actually far more accurate at doing so than any other system, and it's one of the reasons these drones can stay so stable when hovering within VPS range.

Reactions: Ping^Spike
I fly around water a LOT during fly fishing shoots, only ever turn off landing protection and always cautious moving forward at speed as this produces a decrease in altitude due to the angle of movement. Sometimes I skim around 1m above the surface with never an issue, moving water, lakes, waves, makes no difference, just be careful and DON'T use sport mode!

Because it can "see" what is directly below it, and if what is below it is moving around, it corrects for position. It's actually far more accurate at doing so than any other system, and it's one of the reasons these drones can stay so stable when hovering within VPS range.
Yes it can see, though it depends on pattern and contrast to see. It is completely unreliable over a single color surface with no texture -- and therefore also has trouble with glassy-calm water. If you've ever landed on glassy water in a floatplane, you experience a similar effect...it's extremely difficult to judge your height accurately.

Ironically, if you can get down low enough in those conditions to create prop wash, the Mavic will be better able to tell how close the surface is. But at that point you're close enough to be suffering negative effects of the deflected updraft.

I only turn off landing protection and leave the vertical sensors turned on. I do make sure that I have a good visual on the drone so that I know what the drone is doing. I’ve flown over the sea, lochs and still, glass like lakes without problems.

Last edited:
Reactions: Qoncussion

Thanks

I fly around water a LOT during fly fishing shoots, only ever turn off landing protection and always cautious moving forward at speed as this produces a decrease in altitude due to the angle of movement. Sometimes I skim around 1m above the surface with never an issue, moving water, lakes, waves, makes no difference, just be careful and DON'T use sport mode!

You turn only the landing protection off ?

Yes it can see, though it depends on pattern and contrast to see. It is completely unreliable over a single color surface with no texture -- and therefore also has trouble with glassy-calm water. If you've ever landed on glassy water in a floatplane, you experience a similar effect...it's extremely difficult to judge your height accurately.

Ironically, if you can get down low enough in those conditions to create prop wash, the Mavic will be better able to tell how close the surface is. But at that point you're close enough to be suffering negative effects of the deflected updraft.
Yes, we covered that... :p

No, you didn't
I said when you get close to water the drone can get erratic... In fact the entire point of the thread was that VPS doesn't work that well over water, other than preventing you from landing in the water. The response you quoted was my response to someone asking how the VPS works to keep the drone from drifting forward/back/side. So, you quoted my post out of context. We are saying the same thing about the VPS.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
engmarceloacs