DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Overflying a Motorway (UK)

MJ224

Reactions
I have a interesting site I want to video. It is located within 30 metres of a motorway. The motorway is rural, no buildings within several hundred metres.

Bearing in mind the Drone etiquette, do you think its legal to fly over the motorway at 100+ metres, and to video this site within 50 metres of the motorway. The site would be video'd from a height of 40 metres or so. I am hoping the proximity of the motorway does not conflict with the 150 metres of a town, or built up area.

TIA

Mj

I would check normal traffic on an early Sunday morning . . . if quiet, I see no major issue with flying somewhere like that.
Take 15 to 20 mins max (less if possible), fly it, get footage, get down, leave area, mitigate risk.

Reactions: MJ224
I have a interesting site I want to video. It is located within 30 metres of a motorway. The motorway is rural, no buildings within several hundred metres.

Bearing in mind the Drone etiquette, do you think its legal to fly over the motorway at 100+ metres, and to video this site within 50 metres of the motorway. The site would be video'd from a height of 40 metres or so. I am hoping the proximity of the motorway does not conflict with the 150 metres of a town, or built up area.

TIA

Mj
At rush-hour, it could be argued that the Motorway becomes 'crowded' (a "congested" area) and therefore as per the Drone Code - you need to be 150 metres clear and are not allowed to overfly. However, if there is light traffic, you could then argue that you are obeying the 'People and Properties' part of the Drone Code, and maintain 50 metres clearance over and around.
With the sensitivity about Drones here in the UK, I don't think it wise to leave it to chance ...

Reactions: MJ224 and zocalo
Agree with FoxhallGH's post above - if the motorway is busy, I'd assume you need 150m to be safe, but as with many things about flying there's a lot of subjectivity involved as to what is meant by "congested" and ultimately it's your responsibility to ensure the flight is safe. I'd certainly minimise any time that the drone is directly over the motorway or other structures, regardless of how busy it is.

Alternatively, if you have some time, you could email the CAA and request some guidance. They won't give you any absolutes, but they should certainly be able to to give you a better idea of what they would consider unsafe.

Reactions: MJ224
Thanks for replies and advice. Yes I think Sunday morning would good. My flight plan cross's the motorway at right angles, thus minimising time overflying it. Also flying at 100 metres so It should not distract drivers...

Thanks again.....

Mj

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki