DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

P4P Failsafe RTH - a possibility for the Mavic?

YngveN

Reactions
Reading the manual of the P4P it states the following about Failsafe RTH

"Failsafe RTH
The Forward Vision System allows the aircraft to create a real-time map of its flight route as it flies. If the
Home Point was successfully recorded and the compass is functioning normally, Failsafe RTH will be
automatically activated if the remote controller signal is lost for more than three seconds. The aircraft
will plan its return route and retrace its original flight route home. The aircraft will hover for 10 seconds
at its current location. When it regains signal connection it will wait for pilot commands. The Return-toHome
process may be interrupted and the pilot given control of the aircraft if the remote controller signal
connection is re-established
."

Is there a reason this could not be implemented for the Mavic?

And why would it be dependent on the FVS? Surely it could retrace it's steps by GPS and compass/barometer input.

Reactions: Threshold
why would it be dependent on the FVS? Surely it could retrace it's steps by GPS and compass/barometer input.
It could retrace its steps with GPS data, but it would not be able to avoid obstacles. When I tested this feature a few months ago, I found the path was close to the previously traveled path. It did not retrace it exactly though. After about 30 seconds, it stopped retracing and flew directly back to the home point.

It could retrace its steps with GPS data, but it would not be able to avoid obstacles. When I tested this feature a few months ago, I found the path was close to the previously traveled path. It did not retrace it exactly though. After about 30 seconds, it stopped retracing and flew directly back to the home point.

Are you saying you tested this with the Mavic? I did not think it had this feature at all...

But it would be good, if even retracing for only 30 seconds. In cases like we have seen where pilots fly the Mavic behind a building or other obstacle, it would greatly increase the possibillity for the RC to reconnect.

No. I tested it with my P4P.

Reactions: YngveN

Just thinking out loud a bit here, but actually that makes good sense, does it not?
On lost signal, backtrack for 30 sec (assuming 10m/s that would mean 300m), to try to regain signal. If signal is still not reestablished, go to RTH altitude and head straight home.

Reactions: Cerberus
Just thinking out loud a bit here, but actually that makes good sense, does it not?
On lost signal, backtrack for 30 sec (assuming 10m/s that would mean 300m), to try to regain signal. If signal is still not reestablished, go to RTH altitude and head straight home.
'You know what..?

I think this makes very good sense.. maybe you should write it up and submit to DJI..
Great ideas like this shouldn't just stay in this forum...

Reactions: erickx
My mavic lost connection and did not return home .... I think they should be fitted with a gps tracker . I haven't found mine ... it's not at the last point it had connection

'You know what..?

I think this makes very good sense.. maybe you should write it up and submit to DJI..
Great ideas like this shouldn't just stay in this forum...

Like I said, just thinking out loud. To me it seems like a great functionality that definitively would have saved a few Mavics from crashing. Still there could be scenarios and circumstances where it might do the opposite...

And as msinger describes, this is the exact behavior of the P4P, so seems it is not a "new" idea to DJI. Seems to me it is a matter of firmware update to implement it in the Mavic.

Another thing is to consider is, how "complicated" should DJI make the RTH procedure/options, and will the average user take the time to read and understand how it works?

Still I think it is worth discussing, anything that can improve on functionality and possibly save Mavics form crashing is a good thing in my book.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78