DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Parks Ordinance ?

Delenot

Reactions
I recently found this shiny new sign at 2 nearby parks. (Allegheny county: North Park and also Harrison Hills Park)

20200513_151852.jpg

Now my legalese is certainly not as strong as others, but this is what I find when researching the ordinance number.

Screenshot_20200513-163648_Chrome.jpg

My possibly incorrect understanding of this is there is an area set aside for flying which would keep park facilities/areas from being damaged during a mishap. Yet while the ordinance reads as if you can fly, the sign that specifically sites the ordinance seems to read as a certain No.

Both B4Ufly and Airmap read as good to fly.
B4Ufly: Green: Good to fly (2 heliports)
Airmap: Yellow (2 heliports)

So my questions are:
1. Are you allowed to fly?
2. If you are and there is no designated area can you fly just away from park facilities?

It seems pretty clear that it is saying that those activities are only permitted in designated areas. It doesn't say that areas have been designated at all, or even any, locations. So no - you clearly cannot fly there, or create your own interpretation of a designated area based on what damage you think the activity might cause.

Is there a such thing as non-flying aircraft?
I get the idea as there are a lot of idiots with flying aircraft.
Those people ruin it for all the ones that just want to race around the trees and see how close we can buzz the picnickers.

Reactions: Delenot
It seems pretty clear that it is saying that those activities are only permitted in designated areas. It doesn't say that areas have been designated at all, or even any, locations. So no - you clearly cannot fly there, or create your own interpretation of a designated area based on what damage you think the activity might cause.

Thank you sar104. This is what I thought it meant but didn't want to make any assumptions.

Reactions: sar104
Have you actually chatted with a person in an authoritative position within the parks and recreation responsible? For where I live, they tell me I cannot fly without $2mil insurance during events! When inquiring nonevent time, I am simply informed of $2mil insurance during events!

I recently found this shiny new sign at 2 nearby parks. (Allegheny county: North Park and also Harrison Hills Park)

View attachment 101243

Now my legalese is certainly not as strong as others, but this is what I find when researching the ordinance number.

View attachment 101244

My possibly incorrect understanding of this is there is an area set aside for flying which would keep park facilities/areas from being damaged during a mishap. Yet while the ordinance reads as if you can fly, the sign that specifically sites the ordinance seems to read as a certain No.

Both B4Ufly and Airmap read as good to fly.
B4Ufly: Green: Good to fly (2 heliports)
Airmap: Yellow (2 heliports)

So my questions are:
1. Are you allowed to fly?
2. If you are and there is no designated area can you fly just away from park facilities?
Call and ask or email. I had a question for the National Forest service about a specific area. I got a sort of run around answer so beware of answers that are not answers. Specific question I asked....can I fly at _______. Not a wilderness area and not a national park. The answer from a rep at Forest service was: you cannot fly over people, you cannot fly at trail heads or parking lots. Okay....so that’s a huge area that I suspect would lend it self to avoiding those areas you quoted sir. Reply by Forest service was same. He didn’t answer my question outright but just quoted the rule which is what I wanted clarification on. So....ask the county or city government but don’t expect a real answer.

You may want to check to see if the state laws are different. State laws would override a local park laws...

Reactions: kshaw
Have you actually chatted with a person in an authoritative position within the parks and recreation responsible? For where I live, they tell me I cannot fly without $2mil insurance during events! When inquiring nonevent time, I am simply informed of $2mil insurance during events!

I spoke directly with a park ranger and was informed of the above. I have since spoke with the local Leo and they said no flying due to the ordinance.

Call and ask or email. I had a question for the National Forest service about a specific area. I got a sort of run around answer so beware of answers that are not answers. Specific question I asked....can I fly at _______. Not a wilderness area and not a national park. The answer from a rep at Forest service was: you cannot fly over people, you cannot fly at trail heads or parking lots. Okay....so that’s a huge area that I suspect would lend it self to avoiding those areas you quoted sir. Reply by Forest service was same. He didn’t answer my question outright but just quoted the rule which is what I wanted clarification on. So....ask the county or city government but don’t expect a real answer.

My guess is that they just don't really know as while it is part of their job, it's certainly a more obscure and likely seldom visited part.

I love Allegheny, did not know about that. Glad you posted this before I showed up there later this summer with my MA2 LOL

I love Allegheny, did not know about that. Glad you posted this before I showed up there later this summer with my MA2 LOL

Yeah, I know it's usually easier to ask forgiveness rather than permission and all that. I didn't ride through all of North Park, but the air field was posted and the ranger did say 'in the park', not just specific parts. As for J Hills Park, there was a sign at the entrance and at all major parking lots.

Yeah, I know it's usually easier to ask forgiveness rather than permission and all that. I didn't ride through all of North Park, but the air field was posted and the ranger did say 'in the park', not just specific parts. As for J Hills Park, there was a sign at the entrance and at all major parking lots.
I know this is an old post but....

You can fly there again...

Well now....
I will be checking that out for sure!!!
Thank you for posting this!

Check the state law which may preempt any local laws. If you find that it does, then contact your state attorney general and report it and contact AMA and AOPA and see if they will join in to oppose it. Also report it to your state Aeronautics agency. I have seen one of our local parks try to get around the Maryland preemption law by prohibitting drone photography. That will be hard to enforce, though, because they would need a search warrant to look at your videos and they will need probable cause to get a search warrant. Make them go through all of this and then show that you were not recording video. One or two times with this and they will leave you alone.

as much as i would love to fly places, its called respect they have a reason for it just find another place to fly. whether its flying swimming biking or other activity you cant do it even as much as you dont like it( there are many restrictions i dont like) but i still follow

OP, if you want to fly in PA state parks, there are only six (6) state parks that have designated flying fields. You need to consult with the AMA presidents from each field before flying. I did two recent flights earlier this week at Tuscarora and Beltzville State Park. Operation went smoothly. :)

You are not restricted to flying within the flying fields. You can venture beyond the flying field (but must launch within the flying field) provided you keep the aircraft with VLOS

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman