DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

phone question

JohnMFord

Reactions
I just looked the recommended android phones for the Mavic on the DJI website and it does not look like it has been updated in several months. This leads me to believe that DJI is no longer testing phones. So I thought I would ask here since this forum contains a lot of collected wisdom. Has anyone had any experience using the Moto G4 or G4 plus with the Mavic?. I really do not want to spend the money on an Apple product. Also, I like the idea that the Moto g4 from Amazon is an unlocked device. Thanks.

johnf

I've settled on a Sony Xperia z3. It's absolutely flawless, and with an incredibly bright screen.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Want me to test with my Moto X Pure? Should be fair comparison.
While I don't know that much about the Moto x pure, I agree that it should be at least a basis for comparison. Do you happen to know what the processor is? Thanks.

johnf

While I don't know that much about the Moto x pure, I agree that it should be at least a basis for comparison. Do you happen to know what the processor is? Thanks.

johnf

The Snapdragon 808 processor, with 64-bit computing performance on 4 CPU cores and leading modem capabilities, is designed to enable premium tier connected mobile user experiences. Supporting 4K Ultra HD video streaming, up to 55MP digital photo sharing, online 3D gaming and virtually seamless communications, along with outstanding battery life, the Snapdragon 808 processor supports some of the most incredible experiences available on mobile.

Im going to test today with DJI GO 4 and my Moto X pure has the latest version of Android -6.0.1 Marshmellow. Just basic tests as its windy and rainy. :)

Im going to test today with DJI GO 4 and my Moto X pure has the latest version of Android -6.0.1 Marshmellow. Just basic tests as its windy and rainy. :)
Great, looking forward to your feedback.

Greg

Flies perfect with one caveat. Every time the USB cable is plugged into the phone there will be no display or telemetry presented in the DJI GO 4 app. What one has to do is swipe down on the top of the phone screen to get to thier notifications tab and there will be a notification about the USB cable being used to charge and to touch for options. Tap that banner notification and choose PTP mode which allows for transfer or pictures and files and obviously DJI GO 4 app data :)

Then everything works as it should. It was a bit of a stumper at first, but then remembered a thread topic that addressed this issue.

The big bummer is you have to do this every time,. I cannot find a way to make PTP the default mode. :(

Hope this helps anyone with a similar device.

Reactions: BenF04
Flies perfect with one caveat. Every time the USB cable is plugged into the phone there will be no display or telemetry presented in the DJI GO 4 app. What one has to do is swipe down on the top of the phone screen to get to thier notifications tab and there will be a notification about the USB cable being used to charge and to touch for options. Tap that banner notification and choose PTP mode which allows for transfer or pictures and files and obviously DJI GO 4 app data :)

Then everything works as it should. It was a bit of a stumper at first, but then remembered a thread topic that addressed this issue.

The big bummer is you have to do this every time,. I cannot find a way to make PTP the default mode. :(

You 'should' be able to change that in the DJI Go4 permissions.. Go to settings>applications>set as default. :)

Hi,

That's good news for me. I may proceed and buy this phone.

thanks
Greg

My Moto X Pure is a great phone! Large display with bright vibrant colors and is way faster than my previous Samsung Galaxy S5. There is alot less lag. Plus its unlocked from the factory and does not come with a ton of bloatware that will not be used and just get in the way. Its just as close as one can get to a "pure" android experience.
One can customize the backing and other details as well which is nice. I am going to switch to a wood backing in the future. My only gripe is that its somewhat rounded on back and that makes it tough sometimes for one handed operating.

My Moto X Pure is a great phone! Large display with bright vibrant colors and is way faster than my previous Samsung Galaxy S5. There is alot less lag. Plus its unlocked from the factory and does not come with a ton of bloatware that will not be used and just get in the way. Its just as close as one can get to a "pure" android experience.
One can customize the backing and other details as well which is nice. I am going to switch to a wood backing in the future. My only gripe is that its somewhat rounded on back and that makes it tough sometimes for one handed operating.
Thanks for those details. By the way, what is the version of DJI GO you were using during your tests ? Just to make sure what is the winning match :)

Greg

DJI GO 4. I can test with the plain ol' DJI GO as well if you like?

The curvature of the rear of the Moto X makes one have to work to squeeze it into the side clamping areas of the remote controller. Once one squeezes it in though its solid. :)

Yeah, I missed the DJI GO 4 in your earlier post. So, the newest Android 6 (for Moto X at least) coupled with DJI GO 4 should be flawless in operation.
Apart from having to enable PTP on the app every single time did you have to enable USB debugging in developers' mode as well ?

Greg

Yeah, I missed the DJI GO 4 in your earlier post. So, the newest Android 6 (for Moto X at least) coupled with DJI GO 4 should be flawless in operation.
Apart from having to enable PTP on the app every single time did you have to enable USB debugging in developers' mode as well ?

Greg
Let me charge my Remote Controller as its down to 32 percent and then I will try with USB Debugging ON and OFF. I will also see if I can setup the default for the DJI GO 4 app and have it so I dont have to enable PTP mode everytime.

Its a good name for the mode as it is a Pain To Press

BD0G, thank you for looking into this. What you have found out really helps. I guess my single concern left is the difference in processor power between the two phones. The Moto x pure has the snapdragon 808 processor and the Moto g4 had the snapdragon 617 processor. I am not a tech wiz, but I am assuming that the G4 is less powerful that the Moto x. Since it will be a while before I can purchase the Mavic, I guess I have plenty of time to decide. Thanks again.

johnf

More information that I mentioned I would provide.

I have attached a video that shows the process that I went through to not have to Turn on PTP mode everytime DJI GO4 was launched and connected with my Mavic Pro.

Power On Mavic Pro
Connect USB Cable to side port on RC and bottom USB port of Moto X or G4 (untested with G4)
Clamp phone in between RC side holders
Turn on Screen Rotation in swipe down settings so DJI GO 4 App will rotate to Landscape mode instead of staying in Portrait Mode
Turn on Remote Controller and allow to connect to Mavic Pro and populate the display on the Remote Controller.
Launch DJI GO 4 app
Swipe down from top of screen and double touch / tap USB Debugging. Turn off USB Debugging within the settings
Find notification about USB Charging by swiping down again from top. Double Touch / Tap USB Charging
Touch the option presented for PTP rather than the top option that lists USB charging only.
Then a pop up message "should" be presented asking if the default should be PTP for DJI GO 4.
Tap the small check box and then tap Enter. There will be a message presented about inconsistient Firmware.
I ignored it by clicking Cancel
Then the DJI GO 4 app will display all details and allow operation of the Mavic Pro.

There is a very good chance that the Moto G4 will behave identically to the Moto X albeit with a slower processor as these are similar devices.

Watch Video here

Reactions: delray
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunatico028