DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Photo editing question

Apologies if this is in the wrong section of the site but was hoping someone with photo editing knowledge could assist...

I used my Mini 3 Pro to take this photo of a lighthouse and as part of its design you can see the lighthouse has many horizontal 'lines' all the way up. These lines look a bit 'faded' especially down the left hand side of the lighthouse where the sun is hitting it. I am trying to edit the photo so that these lines become more prominent and easier to see but I don't know how.

I have selected the lighthouse then experimented by changing different values (e.g. exposure, brightness, contrast, shadows/highlights etc) but with no luck. The closest I got to making these lines more visible unfortunately also turned the lighthouse itself a darker grey but I was wanting to keep the lighthouse white.

Does anyone know how to go about this? (I'm using Affinity Photo but assume the process would be similar to other editing programs)

Thanks

View attachment 162911
Not sure if it’s been mentioned, but if your camera has a RAW setting, use that instead of jpeg. You can also use both on some Mavics. Besides shooting RAW, I also bracket by 3 or 5 frames always protecting the highlights. Try to keep the histogram to the right of center but don’t touch the right side. I usually start by setting the exposure on the highlights of the image and adjust from there. If you underexpose too much, the overall image will suffer with noise and blocked up shadows.

Many thanks to everyone who replied. I was merely expecting the odd tip on how to claw back the over exposure in my photo (which was taken in RAW) so while I appreciate all the replies I was completely blown away by those who took the time and effort to try it for themselves. I couldn't believe the advice provided so just wanted to say thanks.

I get now that it was over exposed and take on board the idea of changing EV value or taking bracketed shots.

Thanks again to everyone who took the time to reply or try for themselves to assist. What a great bunch on the forums.

I used my Mini 3 Pro to take this photo of a lighthouse
what a great photo, did this 14 X upscale for you & some noise removal
I couldn't access your One drive link so I used @Meta4 link to the image so Kudos to him!
mines on the left
14-times-upscale.jpg

upscale.jpg

download it here full size.

what a great photo, did this 14 X upscale for you & some noise removal
I couldn't access your One drive link so I used @Meta4 link to the image so Kudos to him!
mines on the left
14-times-upscale.jpg

upscale.jpg

download it here full size.
I can't believe this is still rolling around the Forum from last April!!!

But I do have an additional thought, and that is, since you blew out the details in the high tones or whites, if you have the ability and from here on, re-shoot the lighthouse using the histogram and be sure not to clip the right side (whites). The same goes for the black tones. E.g.: do not clip the blacks on the left side of the histogram. So if you shoot in RAW you can recover details and not clip the highs and the lows in the details.

Dale
Miami.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't believe this is still rolling around the Forum from last April!!!

But I do have an additional thought, and that is, since you blew out the details in the high tones or whites, if you have the ability and from here on, re-shoot the lighthouse using the histogram and be sure not to clip the right side (whites). The same goes for the black tones. E.g.: do not clip the blacks on the left side of the histogram. So if you shoot in RAW you can recover details and not clip the highs and the lows in the details.

Dale
Miami.
side note Dale your photography is amazing mate.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman