DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Picked Up a Mini Over the weekend. My Thoughts.. Ugh ..

Drone Valley has a short video on the charging sequence of the hub that comes with the Flymore package. It charges the batteries in the order the time needed to reach full charge. The controller is charged last after all batteries in the hub are fully charged. The idea is to give you a fully charged battery in the least amount of time.

Reactions: Tronzie and Bbarr
Update:
Took the NEW mini out the other day and really not impressed by these photos at all. Very pixelated and really not clear.. Ill give it one more try Sunday supposed to be a nice sunny day... Then Ill decide to keep or return , leaning on returning it... I was looking for a small travel drone I travel to France and I normally take my Mavic 2 Pro or Autel Evo , I was hoping this Mavic Mini would take decent photos and have a SMALL reliable drone to travel with. This may not be the one.. Ugh...

Attachments

• DJI_0094.JPG
    DJI_0094.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 87
  • DJI_0123.JPG
    DJI_0123.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 89
Hey Guys. This is just my opinion not knocking anyone who is loving their Mavic Mini : With that said ....
I currently own : DJI SPARK , DJI Mavic Pro 2 , Autel Evo ... I wanted to pick up a small capable drone to travel with ... I go to France a lot. The Spark takes great pics and the build quality is on point with DJI. BUT the connection issues are a pain and I don't trust it for a far away photo. That said I watched lots of you tube videos on the Mini and I was hoping DJI put the Spark Camera on the mini. Once I unboxed the Mini right away I felt it was Toyish. Charged it up and took it out Sunday morning.. Nice breeze and clear skies. The Mini handled the wind and the range was on point unlike the spark ... I was impressed... Once I started taking photos that's where this went south! 99% of the photos had lens flare! Now I see why everyone is selling lens hoods for the Mini! Went home and some you tubers said if you update the firmware the photos are better... Did that took it out again to the same parks and they got a bit better but they are horrific compared to the Spark Photos.
On to my other issues... Pain in the butt to put the gimbal cover on, Can't charge the batteries in the 3 battery hub and the remote at the same time, Damm little props are all over the place when putting the Mini back into the case.. All these I would of overlooked if the photos were the same quality as the Spark. Seem to me the Spark is the Winner for now..
Just my thoughts... The Mini is being returned today.. Hoping for a Mini with the Spark Camera and some forward avoidance sensor like the Spark..
Are you loading the photos off the SD card? Check the resolution in settings. Mine takes great photos with plenty of fine detail FE7A650D-C11D-4C00-A758-2C6AD1F85414.jpegFE7A650D-C11D-4C00-A758-2C6AD1F85414.jpeg

Reactions: Ben B
Update:
Took the NEW mini out the other day and really not impressed by these photos at all. Very pixelated and really not clear.. Ill give it one more try Sunday supposed to be a nice sunny day... Then Ill decide to keep or return , leaning on returning it... I was looking for a small travel drone I travel to France and I normally take my Mavic 2 Pro or Autel Evo , I was hoping this Mavic Mini would take decent photos and have a SMALL reliable drone to travel with. This may not be the one.. Ugh...
It looks like your using the cashed photos. Are you taking the photos off the SD directly? Check the photo settings make sure your taking them in High Res

It looks like your using the cashed photos. Are you taking the photos off the SD directly? Check the photo settings make sure your taking them in High Res

Taking the photos off the memory card into a reader and viewing them on my Imac. Where is a SETTING for HI RES photos? I dont see that anywhere! I dont even think that is a setting ! Let me know.. thank you !

Taking the photos off the memory card into a reader and viewing them on my Imac. Where is a SETTING for HI RES photos? I dont see that anywhere! I dont even think that is a setting ! Let me know.. thank you !
those are the photos from the sd card. what exactly is your issue with them, to me they seem fine, probably a bit underexposed? and what do you mean by hi res photos???? if you are referring to raw, mavic mini does not support it...

Update:
I downloaded the full size pics, and they look "decent" to me, considering the lighting. I would expect a Mavic 2 Pro to do better, but do let us know if you can find a small drone with a better camera than the Mini.

Reactions: Dbez1
When you’re in the app you can adjust what quality etc. you’re filming in like if you’re doing video you can do 1080 25 30 50 60 Hz etc. For film and 2.7 they were also settings when you’re in the photos via the app while connected to the drone

From the purely environmental side I think if you're going to shoot this time of year (northern hemisphere) that if you're bringing your done out into the cold you allow it to acclimate a bit before turning it on. The difference in temperature can fog the lens of the camera; something I knew but didn't pay attention too until I noticed it on a particularly cold day. Just my .02!
Only if the camera isn't sealed - which it should be.
If your lens fogs internally then you have compromised seals.

Why are you yelling at people trying to help you ?

Only if the camera isn't sealed - which it should be.
If your lens fogs internally then you have compromised seals.
Agreed but in cold weather the glass on the outside will fog.. like the mirrors on your car, many now have heaters that remove the moisture. But mine have fogged on the outside with the rapid change in temperatures.. probably even more prevalent when the temperature and dew point are close.

Why are you yelling at people trying to help you ?
THIS IS SHOUTING.
Some folks capitalize to place EMPHASIS.
Although we have web editors capable of emphasis in various ways, some old habits die hard - such as using chars to provide *emphasis*.
Some editors and mailing programs even see the *emphasis* and "translate" for you.
Anyway - just food for thought.

Hey Guys, UPDATE..

I decided to return the Mavic Mini... Being I have a Spark and Evo & Mavic Pro 2 ... The Mini just wasnt cutting it for a stand alone travel drone for my needs.... I felt the photos on the Spark were much better .. Ill wait and maybe one day they will update the Mini or the Air with Ocusync and a better camera.... Seems like DJI is working on something new now ( maybe a Air 2 ) ... Thanks for ALL your replies on my post! Great Group of People here!

I tried several off brands before settling on the MM. While I agree the propellers are a hassle when I go t put the MM away, I certainly can over look that because of all the MM has to offer. The things that I like deal directly with simplicity of use. First, the portability is amazing. It can travel inconspicuously and doesn't take up much room. I have three kids and they often do not realize that I have even packed it for a journey. Second, it is so easy to get out of the box and into the air quickly. While I realize that there are a ton of drones out there that have more features, the MM is so easy to launch and use anywhere I go. Lastly, my favorite thing about my MM was the price. It does so much for such a great price. That said, I definitely want to grow my flying skills and upgrade in the future but this right now is serving me well. I love reading everyone's take and insight. Happy flying all.

Attachments

• sunset shot.jpg
    sunset shot.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 37
Reactions: PanX and harleymhs
One thing I've read about the MM's pictures is that they really harden the focus. Many I have seen would benefit from a little softening in a darkroom app.

MM costs 1/3 (or less) as much as the higher end drones. It seems to me that the OP might want to consider adjusting their expectations. I don’t expect the same quality from my phone camera as I do my Nikon D7100. ? I agree with Roger DH above but that’s just my opinion though. Have a good day.

Last edited:
Reactions: PanX
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13