DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pls examine my coordinates.

aokusman

Reactions
Am I allowed to fly here? Getting mixed results from different apps. Thanks.

(39.8348434,-75.1106615)

I drew a 5 mile radius circle around your coordinates and did not see any airports. Unless there is some small field I did not see on Google Earth, I would say you are good to fly in one of the open spaces close by.

I drew a 5 mile radius circle around your coordinates and did not see any airports. Unless there is some small field I did not see on Google Earth, I would say you are good to fly in one of the open spaces close by.

There is an airport close by (PHL) but it’s more than 5 miles away but less than 10.

Is it 5? thought it was 4... arggg.. I keep learning.
It's 5 miles. From the FAA website:
Airports
Recreational operators are required to give notice for flights within five miles of an airport to both the airport operator and air traffic control tower, if the airport has a tower. However, recreational operations are not permitted in Class B airspace around most major airports without specific air traffic permission and coordination.
Airspace Restrictions

It's 5 miles. From the FAA website:
Airports
Recreational operators are required to give notice for flights within five miles of an airport to both the airport operator and air traffic control tower, if the airport has a tower. However, recreational operations are not permitted in Class B airspace around most major airports without specific air traffic permission and coordination.
Airspace Restrictions

From what I gather my location is considered class C. So no flying without clearance. Bummer.

Unless I am missing something, you should have no problem if keeping under 400'.
upload_2018-5-8_14-56-35.png

That screen shot is within someone's LAANC controlled airspace.

LAANC will be deployed in the OP's area on August 16, 2018.
FAA UAS Data Exchange
My point of concern is, that LAANC is only set up to become active in places that require authorization to fly. If there is no authorization (or notification) required, there would be on need for LAANC to be set up for that area.

My point of concern is, that LAANC is only set up to become active in places that require authorization to fly. If there is no authorization (or notification) required, there would be on need for LAANC to be set up for that area.
Your concern is justified. LAANC is new and is supposed to make it easier for us to fly. My confusion is that the OP's coordinates are more than 5 miles from Philadelphia Intl airport so I thought there would be no problem under 400'.

I am far from an expert (it sounds like you know more about this than I do) on this subject so perhaps someone more knowledgeable could chime in.

SkyVector online sectional charts aren't quite detailed enough for me to tell exactly where the Class B Surface ends, in relation to his spot.
I am sure that when LAANC becomes operational the 107 pilots will need to get authorization, because if LAANC is available we have to use it. It would seem strange that they would require the 107 guys to use the LAANC if no notification is required for recreational flights.
I don't have the proof to say that it is controlled airspace, but I am not confident telling someone that it is great to go fly there.
The good news is that they never use the airspace below 400 feet in that area or it wouldn't be automatic approval for 107 below 400 feet.
I think this is one of those cases where you go with whatever the B4UFly app says. Then you can always show that the FAA said you were far enough out (it is their app).

According to this map the 400ft is advisory and does not constitute permission. The FAA need to hire someone that can clearly explain what the rules are.
I think we understand the rules fairly well. The question is whether or not his flying spot is, or is not, within 5 miles of an airport. If it's a recreational flight and he is not within 5 miles he is free to fly recreationally.

I think we understand the rules fairly well. The question is whether or not his flying spot is, or is not, within 5 miles of an airport. If it's a recreational flight and he is not within 5 miles he is free to fly recreationally.

It’s not within 5 but is within 10.

Reactions: flockshot
Just to be clear, we are talking about 5 Nautical Miles (5.753 statute miles) as the core for Class B at Philadelphia. If clear of that, I would agree that it is ok, but I would still use the B4UFly app just to have that assurance that we are right. My 2c.
I AM WRONG ABOUT THIS:
CONSIDER THE FOLLOWING ABOUT CLASS B BOUNDRIES

Last edited:
Just to be clear, we are talking about 5 Nautical Miles (5.753 statute miles) as the core for Class B at Philadelphia. If clear of that, I would agree that it is ok, but I would still use the B4UFly app just to have that assurance that we are right. My 2c.
I AM WRONG ABOUT THIS:
CONSIDER THE FOLLOWING ABOUT CLASS B BOUNDRIES
Lateral Limits:
  • The outer limits of the airspace will not exceed a 30 NM radius from the primary airport
  • This 30 NM radius will generally be divided into three concentric circles: an inner 10 NM radius, a middle 20 NM radius, and an outer 30 NM radius
  • The inner 10 NM radius area may be subdivided based on operational needs, runway alignment, adjacent regulatory airspace, or adjacent airports
  • The areas between 10 to 20 NM and 20 to 30 NM may be vertically subdivided because of terrain or other regulatory airspace

There is an airport close by (PHL) but it’s more than 5 mi iles away but less than 10.
I think you are right to consider 10 nautical miles as the radius of the Class B airspace since that is the normal distance they use.

SkyVector online sectional charts aren't quite detailed enough for me to tell exactly where the Class B Surface ends, in relation to his spot.
I am sure that when LAANC becomes operational the 107 pilots will need to get authorization, because if LAANC is available we have to use it. It would seem strange that they would require the 107 guys to use the LAANC if no notification is required for recreational flights.
I don't have the proof to say that it is controlled airspace, but I am not confident telling someone that it is great to go fly there.
The good news is that they never use the airspace below 400 feet in that area or it wouldn't be automatic approval for 107 below 400 feet.
I think this is one of those cases where you go with whatever the B4UFly app says. Then you can always show that the FAA said you were far enough out (it is their app).

That location (PT1 on the map below) is 1.5 nm inside the KPHL Class B surface airspace:

Scratchpad.jpg

Reactions: flockshot
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deepdark