DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Poll: Has your Mavic fallen from the sky for unknown reasons?

Has you Mavic ever "fallen from the sky?"

• My Mavic was made before March 2017 and has never fallen from the sky.

• My Mavic was made during or after March 2017 and has never fallen from the sky.

• My Mavic was made BEFORE March 2017 and HAS fallen from the sky for unknown reasons.

• My Mavic was made DURING March 2017 and HAS fallen from the sky for unknown reasons

Results are only viewable after voting.
Loss of control, did not respond to controller, drone crashed and was lost. After extensive technical review, replaced under warranty. Not happy at the time, but pleased with the end result, DJI has been fair with me.

Loss of control, did not respond to controller, drone crashed and was lost. After extensive technical review, replaced under warranty. Not happy at the time, but pleased with the end result, DJI has been fair with me.

Can I ask what they determined to be the cause of the crash?

3 crashes. All indoor. All user error.

Damage report: 2 pairs of blades. 1 purple couch - slashed. 1 broken fingernail and rather nasty cut to attached finger. 1 ego.

Lesson learned: Don't drink and fly.

I VERY rarely drink and fly, but I'd never do it with a drone this size. IF (big if) you do it, do it with a micro or nano quad, and only in your home or back yard. Those things don't weigh enough to really damage any people / property.

I have a cheerson that was $15 and about 2 or 3 inches corner to corner. That thing is a great little party toy cause it's fun to mess around with and cheap and harmless (unless you manage to get someone in the eye, but you shouldn't fly that close to people's faces anyway). DJI quads are just too big and could cause real damage.

There is most likely a problem batch of Mavics but IMHO the numbers are very low and it is possible that all of them have already crashed and been sent back.

Rob

There is most likely a problem batch of Mavics but IMHO the numbers are very low and it is possible that all of them have already crashed and been sent back.

Rob
Yeah, it doesn't seem to very widespread, although the build dates so far have been spread over a few weeks. So I don't know how many classify a batch, but it's probably more than one batch, but not affecting all Mavics within those batches.

personally, I think most issues are either related to the firmware update (process of completing the update) or related to their smart device (i.e. phone/tablet). I think there is a higher risk of losing some of the data when upgrading over Wi-Fi then by using a USB cable....especially based on all of the reports of issues people have with the updates failing to complete. This is likely due interference on the 2.4GHZ bandwidth caused by the RC and Mavic while in close proximity to the smart phone/tablet running on the same frequency. If you have a smart phone/tablet capable of running on the 5GHZ bandwidth, this typically fixes the issue. Also, lots of connectivity issues (DJI GO4 app) predominantly on Android OS that may be mistaken as issues with the drone but are likely smart phone/tablet induced issues.

I always use a direct USB connection and have never had an issue with an update or with the drone on any firmware rev (knock on wood). Others may have success doing it over Wi-Fi but for me, USB works flawlessly so no need to fix what isn't broken.

Edit: with regards to the firmware issues, I do think that if DJI had better checks within their software to confirm a valid update had been completed or not, would highlight a lot of people's issues before they found out the hard way while in flight......

Edit: with regards to the firmware issues, I do think that if DJI had better checks within their software to confirm a valid update had been completed or not, would highlight a lot of people's issues before they found out the hard way while in flight......

I honestly would find it very hard to believe that DJI doesn't have some kind of hash checking or something to ensure that an applied firmware isn't corrupt. That would be a huge mistake on their part, and I just don't see how Mavics could be flying with corrupted firmware. Buggy firmware, maybe. But corrupted? Not so sure. Just speculation on my part, though.

I honestly would find it very hard to believe that DJI doesn't have some kind of hash checking or something to ensure that an applied firmware isn't corrupt. That would be a huge mistake on their part, and I just don't see how Mavics could be flying with corrupted firmware. Buggy firmware, maybe. But corrupted? Not so sure. Just speculation on my part, though.
I would typically think you are correct but have seen many cases were a firmware refresh or downgrade/upgrade has resolved issues for some folks....that is what makes me think that it may have had a bad transfer of data. Simply checking to see if a file exists in a directory wouldn't catch a corrupt file let alone a faulty command line due to a corrupt file....only the DJI software developers would really know the answer.....

Just the normal issues with tilted horizon sometimes. Other than that it's been great.

30 hours
230 flights
918,000 feet

How many batteries? How many times have you charged a battery? That's a good record.

I have hundreds of flights on different Mavics and Phantoms, and never once did I have a bird "fall from the sky" for unknown reasons, or any other reason. If your Mavic has never fallen from the sky, or if it has please cast your vote, and feel free to elaborate how many flights/hours you have on your bird so we can at least come up with a statistic.

Brand new to MAVIC ---whats significance of BEFORE MARCH production and how do I find out? I am not sure when mine was made, but 5 hours after purchase and 6th flight in it "fell from the sky" I hit RTH at about 170 ft up with plenty of battery. A couple seconds after hitting RTH it said disconnected and literally fell out of the sky. The flight report loses all info from the time to dropped, including camera footage.

Does the SERIAL # correlate to production?
08QDE3P01204Y8,08WUE3G00103W5

Brand new to MAVIC ---whats significance of BEFORE MARCH production and how do I find out? I am not sure when mine was made, but 5 hours after purchase and 6th flight in it "fell from the sky" I hit RTH at about 170 ft up with plenty of battery. A couple seconds after hitting RTH it said disconnected and literally fell out of the sky. The flight report loses all info from the time to dropped, including camera footage.

Just found this out -- Your Mavic Pro (08QDE3P01204Y8) was manufactured on Thursday, March, 23rd 2017

Sorry to hear about the crash. What's the condition of your Mavic now?

I've added your preliminary data to the database that I've created to track similar incidents, but we'll need more information before anybody can give you a reasonable analysis of what happened. If you wouldn't mind, please start a new thread with the details of your crash, flight logs, dat files, etc. Condition of your Mavic and battery. Did you recover them? What was the state of the battery when you recovered it?

Also, would you mind checking the build date of your battery using the serial number decoder? I didn't realize that it seems to be also capable of decoding the serial numbers of our batteries. Now that I know this is possible, I've decided to add the battery build date to my data tracking as well.

Does the Mavic Have a Karma Problem? (Inflight Shutdowns)

Mine was made on 3/30, and I'm a little concerned but I made sure all my batteries are nice and tight.

So far after only a few test flights no issues but it's way too early to call for sure. I'm not to worried though.

Sorry about your crash.

Did you retrieve the drone?
Did the motors stop mid-air?
If you did retrieve it, was it still turned on when you found it?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbri7