DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Possible bug in firmware when "caught" flying in a restricted area.

On iOS I use UAV Forecast (here: UAV Forecast on the App Store )

It has a great hour by hour wind and weather prediction. But it also corresponds with the DJI info.

There is a DJI no fly radius and also the altitude restricted radius as per the DJI rules. Check out the screenshot for info. I will add that this map is great for hobby, but doesn't include enhanced class b options for 107 pilots. Love this app for its easy to use hourly forecast.

Thanks for the that. Thats a great app and does show the AZ's. I like that that you can adjust the radius to exclude the warning zones.

Reactions: Intrglctcrevfnk
Well I'm sure it's just pulling the data from somewhere. Did you check out the VFR for your area and see if there is a private strip or and old heliport? I've read that there are quite a bit of mistakes on tiny strips
I just did and low and behold there seems indeed to be a farm with what used to be an air strip. So, confidence restored. Thanks for the tip.

Reactions: Intrglctcrevfnk
Great question. Being new to the Mavic as well as a new pilot I've had more than my fair share of mishaps and I wonder if my GPS receiver has been damaged. Not sure if there is any way to test it. My brother has a new Mavic coming back from DJI (wrecked it on its maiden flight) and I'll have to check his GPS acquisition against mine in a side by side.

So far I've never had acquisition take more than 1 minute. Don't stand over the drone (blocks GPS signal) - but stay about 2 metres away. Don't even waste batt power spinning the blades until GPS is received.

So far I've never had acquisition take more than 1 minute. Don't stand over the drone (blocks GPS signal) - but stay about 2 metres away. Don't even waste batt power spinning the blades until GPS is received.
How does one start spinning the blades without deciding to take off?

Sent from my XT1650 using MavicPilots mobile app

You can both start and stop motors with CSC on all DJI aircraft. That's actually the "standard" way, the app auto takeoff button is recent.

So DJI's Geo system will prevent you from taking off in or flying into an "Authorization Zone" until you "unlock" the area. Both of these scenarios assume the drone has a GPS signal and can report your location to DJI's geo system.

Seems quirky behavior indeed. But yes, you're always supposed to let GPS acquire sats and record home position before taking off. For me on the Mavic given there's no user-selectable ATTI mode I consider any scenario where either loss or gain of GPS signal in flight is likely to be dangerous, and should be avoided.

Reactions: AlanTheBeast
Yeah call me old school, but don't y'all wait until GPS lock before taking off outdoors?

I understand a test or a hover indoors... Or if your fortunate enough to have a nice large area to fly indoors... But I usually wait until 12-13 sats before launching it.

Reactions: BigDaddyJoeJ
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suilven