DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pre-programmed photo sequence

mfc

Reactions
I've seen a number of references to programming a Mavic to fly a preset route, and I am hoping someone can advise of the best software to use for the specific need I have.

Specifically, I am using my Mavic to view and explore cave entrances in cliffs etc. (this is non-commercial, see Speleogroup - index if interested). We always want to have orientation shots at the start of a flight, with a 360° panorama being the ideal. However this is tricky to do with video (and takes at least 45 seconds for a viewable video) so what I would like to do is preprogram the drone to:

Yaw to North (this does not have to be exact)
Take still photo
Yaw 45° (so decent overlap with previous photo)
Take photo
Repeat 8 times (so ending with another north-facing photo).

This should be a lot quicker (and take less storage) than video and will be easy to stitch for a static panorama as required.

So the question is: which software is capable of doing this (and if more than one .. any recommendations?)?

Many thanks.

Mike

Reactions: Prado man
I use Litchi for all my panoramas. You can do 360 VR style or just a single row, you can set the number of photos you want it to take per row etc.
My latest 360 pano is here: Former Blue Jacket Theater

LItchi can replace the DJI app and adds some different features.

Just went to Litchi website .. not heart-warming; nothing there (even under the 'About' label) that says what it is or what it does. Just lots of pictures proclaiming how wonderful it is!

Looks good. Can this be done with the standard DJI software/app?

No. Not automated.

Just went to Litchi website .. not heart-warming; nothing there (even under the 'About' label) that says what it is or what it does. Just lots of pictures proclaiming how wonderful it is!

That's because it is wonderful. It's not a perfect app but it does quite a lot of things extremely well. Waypoint missions (with panoramas by the way!) are exactly what you're asking for.

Reactions: mfc
Can one use both Litchi and the DJI app (on different flights, presumably) or can you switch between them at will?

You can use either app you like. You can also switch between them, even during flight. All you need to do is close one, then open the other. It will automatically connect (rarely you may need to pull the USB cable and reinsert it to "catch" the connection). Many of us routinely swap between apps while flying.

If you're not used to shutting down an app (or having the app crash) mid-flight, it's a little disconcerting the first few times, but you soon realize it's no big deal and that you retain control (through the RC) the whole time. You can even leave both apps open, but only one at a time will connect and control the craft (but it's not recommended, as it can cause unpredictable results) but it does happen all the time. Often I unknowingly have one app open in the background and only discover it had been open the whole time when trying to switch between apps.

You can use either app you like. You can also switch between them, even during flight. All you need to do is close one, then open the other. It will automatically connect (rarely you may need to pull the USB cable and reinsert it to "catch" the connection). Many of us routinely swap between apps while flying.

OK, thanks; it sounds as though I should give it a try .. although from my microlight piloting experience, changing the user interface 'on the fly' is a bad strategy as one is likely to assume the wrong default when something unusual happens.

OK, thanks; it sounds as though I should give it a try .. although from my microlight piloting experience, changing the user interface 'on the fly' is a bad strategy as one is likely to assume the wrong default when something unusual happens.

The "defaults" are saved on the Mavic, not the app, so it's not really an issue worrying about what default is set (RTH, for example). And you're always connected with the RC, so all you are doing really is changing the user interface.

In fact, many "defaults" are saved to the Mavic through the DJI Go app. Generally, you'll want to start the DJI Go app while on the ground, check that your settings are correct, and then when satisfied, turn off DJI Go and start up Litchi (then fly with that).

Reactions: mfc

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mayulan