DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Precision Landing At Night?

Hi, are you flying your drone at night because it is illegal.

Reactions: Nikola P
Possibly a daft question but does precision landing work at night using the landing light?
Haven't seen anyone say yet as it is still early with this update .

OK lets be civil, just put him on your ignore list and you won't see his post ;)
:::.jpeg.jpeg

Thanks for that officer dibble

What does that mean? Be sensible and don't get yourself prosecuted or give sensible drone flyers a bad name. Thanks.

Reactions: geevee and Capt.Jim
What does that mean? Be sensible and don't get yourself prosecuted or give sensible drone flyers a bad name. Thanks.
Who are you to point others pilots what they should or shouldn't do, you don't even know from what country he is from !?

P.S. will check P.L. in few secends, from my garden. Is peach black outside now.

Given the user name I suspect Paul may well be from Gods own country and therefore in the UK. Flying at night is not illegal here so long as regs are adhered to.

To answer the op - don’t know, not tried it yet but am planning a couple of night flights soon so will give it a go.

Reactions: YorkshirePaul
OK guys enough on that member .
@TheCordman being you have joined some of our forums and not sure what you are doing other than mining for your website please don't disrupt threads .
Issue with that send me a message do not post it .
Now back on topic guys .
Just tried it with the sun up and sure surprised me as it was almost spot on .

When you take off your light comes on and landing it comes back on when close to ground at night.
Is drizzing here so will try later but did try this afternoon and took off from here

Screen Shot 2018-11-24 at 11.15.50 PM.png went out and RTH and landed here Screen Shot 2018-11-24 at 11.16.12 PM.png Now was taking off in rocks so no target
but only off a few inches. Really doesn't matter to me as I hand catch almost every time so just checking to see .

When you take off your light comes on and landing it comes back on when close to ground at night.
Is drizzing here so will try later but did try this afternoon and took off from here

View attachment 54263 went out and RTH and landed here View attachment 54264 Now was taking off in rocks so no target
but only off a few inches. Really doesn't matter to me as I hand catch almost every time so just checking to see .

You just watch those power lines in the background Dirk:p yeah I agree the landing light is a cool feature, mine landing with lights on at dusk (see photo)

5D148EFC-A7FE-422D-BA8A-F762D4DEE84B.jpeg

Reactions: dirkclod
Well I would think with the light on after you take off after dark would pick up on a target and thought
@star4870 after saying he was going to check it would have came back and told us how he did .
Must have went to sleep and forgot ;)

Reactions: Inspirephil
To prevent any problems, I am in the US, and I do have a Daylight waiver and legal to fly at night. I flew my first nighttime flight the other day with my new Mavic 2 Pro. When landing it came down to 5 feet AGL and would not decend any further even with the sticks. I tried going up slightly, then back down again, it would not land. I went over to try a hand catch and the lower sensors caused to to go back up. I tried again while attempting to avoid the sensors with no luck. After that I tried landing again with with the sticks and this time it landed.

To answer the OPs question, with the lower lights on, it should have no problem locating and landing in the correct spot if there are sufficient details on the ground for the sensors to identify the location.

If anyone has an answer to my issue, if could save the OP the same result when he attempts his precision landing.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

To prevent any problems, I am in the US, and I do have a Daylight waiver and legal to fly at night. I flew my first nighttime flight the other day with my new Mavic 2 Pro. When landing it came down to 5 feet AGL and would not decend any further even with the sticks. I tried going up slightly, then back down again, it would not land. I went over to try a hand catch and the lower sensors caused to to go back up. I tried again while attempting to avoid the sensors with no luck. After that I tried landing again with with the sticks and this time it landed.
Did it do the hover at 5 ft even with the stick pulled down to override the landing caution???

As far as the hand catching with the sencers on I do it regularly , just get it from the side and slip my hand under
It quick and grasp it and don’t move till I have shut it down.

Reactions: ColinF and Flynz
As far as the hand catching with the sencers on I do it regularly , just get it from the side and slip my hand under
It quick and grasp it and don’t move till I have shut it down.
And that's why they call me "two fingers" ... ;)

My first or second attempt at precision landing, it believed my landing pad was unsuitable, went up about a foot, went over and landed in the grass. All other times it was right on target.

I'm curious too if it will work with the lights. If it doesn't, what's the point of those lights?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman