DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Process for videoing a moving boat

firstbase

Reactions
What would the process be with an M2P to video a boat while it is moving? Boat moves slowly, about 7-8 knots which is 9-10mph or so. I want the drone to circle the boat and video while we are under way. I would launch from a dead stop on the water. Which video mode would have the M2P track, circle and video the moving boat? I do not own the M2P at this point but will shortly. Just curious on how to do this.

I have read many cautionary threads about flying over water and am aware of the dangers. I will have much flight time before I even consider doing this. However, I want the drone with us while cruising the East Coast/Bahamas and over water will be a necessity...one of the things I need to learn.

Thanks for any help!

I fly over water a lot. Important not to fly too low. I've had erratic things happen under 50 ft. Some people turn off the sensors, I don't do that. I like to fly sideways and keep pace the boat/ship's speed. Looks cool. Here's a vid I made on the Delaware River south of Philly. Love chasing ships. Be careful.

Reactions: MavicMikeK
Active Track with plenty of clearance from the water and surroundings !!! You will find plenty of stuff on YouTube to help you.

Active track will allow you to circle the subject and move around - all you have to do is fly - the drone will do the rest of the work (ie. keep camera on subject) - takes a bit pf practice but it works.

See last half of this video:

Nice videos! Thanks for sharing....

Thanks for the replies. So if I understand correctly, active track will make the camera follow the boat but I have to fly the circle around myself. There is no set it and go for tracking AND flying the circular route? For some reason I though there was a function that made the drone circle in its own.

Yes it will circle you provided you dont go too fast - once u set it to active track and select the object you will get a left right arrow and speed - adjust it and give it a go - one piece of advice, launch from a flat surface on the shoreline and make sure there are no obstacles between u and the home point - that way you wont have to try and land it or grab while on the boat. Tons of YouTube videos about it

Got a few videos on my YouTube channel with boat stuff, Showing off the surrounding works really nicely.

I shot this boat just doing a manual orbit from the shore. The M2P is certainly capable of keeping up.

Speaking from experience, landing on a boat is EXTREMELY difficult. I will personally never attempt again. Even when the boat is not being powered in a direction, you(the landing pad) is still moving vertically with the waves and laterally(drift). I strongly advise against it but if you must, dont wait until low battery to return as you wont land on your first try. Make sure you have plenty of room, switch to sport mode and negate landing sensors which will fight the boat's motion.
...good luck...

Reactions: Jwatts2344
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FNG_