DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Proper terminology for those new to the FAA

I'll certainly sleep better tonight knowing that!

As an airline pilot and designated pilot examiner and aircraft mechanic, I worked a hard 27 years for my certifications and designations and I'm proud of them. This may be the first certification with the FAA for many people. It's important they know it's not a license, but a certification. Many FAA inspectors will read newbies the riot act for not using proper terminology. One of their favorites is calling their certificate a license.

If you have an issue with using proper terminology, then aviation maybe isn't something you should be in.

Reactions: Spanishcop
As an airline pilot and designated pilot examiner and aircraft mechanic, I worked a hard 27 years for my certifications and designations and I'm proud of them. This may be the first certification with the FAA for many people. It's important they know it's not a license, but a certification. Many FAA inspectors will read newbies the riot act for not using proper terminology. One of their favorites is calling their certificate a license.

If you have an issue with using proper terminology, then aviation maybe isn't something you should be in.

You sound like the guy in the base no-one likes flying with.

If you have an issue with getting on with people without giving them a hard time over pointless minutiae or constantly feel the need to demonstrate your superior knowledge of useless trivia, then aviation maybe isn't something YOU should be in.

Reactions: Jez6640 and Blades
You sound like the guy in the base no-one likes flying with.

If you have an issue with getting on with people without giving them a hard time over pointless minutiae or constantly feel the need to demonstrate your superior knowledge of useless trivia, then aviation maybe isn't something YOU should be in.

We have a lot of people here who obviously aren't interested in learning about the aviation industry. Sheesh! A lot of people here are new to aviation and their sUAS certificate may be their first dealings with the FAA. I've been teaching people to fly for 25 years and this is the first time I've ever heard of people not wanting to learn. Closed minded people in aviation are usually the ones you hear about getting in trouble.

bravo kilo: While I applaud your 27 years in the aviation industry, I became a Naval Aviator in the early sixties and have been flying ever since. By my calculations I've been at it twice as long as you but fortunately I never lost my sense of humor along the way. We could all do with a little less pedantic horse-puckey if you don't mind.

Well I'll be darned. I went and dug out my original license issued in September 1968 and it does say CERT. NO. 187XXX on it. I've been calling it a "license" for 49 years. My bad!

Not only that, it says I weigh 135 and my hair is Brown - I wish! It least it has my sex right so I know which bathroom to go to.

Being such a bozo, I guess I shouldn't be flying drones -- excuse me -- UAVs.

Being such a bozo, I guess I shouldn't be flying drones -- excuse me -- UAVs.
just to avoid any awkward embarrassment, if you do reply to any of my comments - they're RPAs... unless I'm flying in the USA, where it seems to be a UAS (or sUAS on some FAA pages) - or a UAV in New Zealand. :)

just to avoid any awkward embarrassment, if you do reply to any of my comments - they're RPAs... unless I'm flying in the USA, where it seems to be a UAS (or sUAS on some FAA pages) - or a UAV in New Zealand. :)

Thanks for the clarification. I'm in the USA (Is USA the right term? Not sure anymore.)

The thing I find funny about this is do we really consider flying toy RC drones to be "In Aviation" ? LOL

Chuck Norris doesn't have a license to kill....but he does have a lot of certificates of death from roundhouse kicks. Unless anyone can top this, let's move along. [emoji3]

I think the proper terminology for someone who scolds drone nerds for using the wrong terminology is [deleted by administrator] :cool:

Just kidding!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan