DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pushing limits ?

Last I had any issues with any of my cars or bike was the Phantom 4 Pro , but since the newer drones its been a game changer for flying from the car or inside the car.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain < land on the Water,

Last I had any issues with any of my cars or bike was the Phantom 4 Pro , but since the newer drones its been a game changer for flying from the car or inside the car.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain < land on the Water,
I always get a notice that my Googles (v2) need calibration with my Avata. Most of the time I ignore it but sometimes I will be forced to step out of the car and calibrate them.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I keep hearing that too but I simply have never had a problem and my hood is steel as well as my friends and we both have 5 or more DJI drones that we take off and land on the hoods of our trucks regularly. Never an issue.
I've had no issues either, but I did find two locations on the roof where the compass is disturbed, just above the driver and passenger doors. I'm not sure why.

In any case, it's worth checking for any compass bias before taking off.

So is your hood steel or Alum . and if steel I wonder why it doesn't mess with the compass. I've read so many post were crashes happened because the pilot took off close to metal.
Something that most miss is with sheet metal, the magnetic field is consistent surrounding the drone. The problem arises when you have a small effect in only one area of the magnetic field.

I keep hearing that too but I simply have never had a problem and my hood is steel as well as my friends and we both have 5 or more DJI drones that we take off and land on the hoods of our trucks regularly. Never an issue.
thanks AK good to know

Something that most miss is with sheet metal, the magnetic field is consistent surrounding the drone. The problem arises when you have a small effect in only one area of the magnetic field.
Things like alternators, cylinder heads, sunroof motors, structural framing, and air conditioning compressors immediately below the sheet metal may have an effect.

Things like alternators, cylinder heads, sunroof motors, structural framing, and air conditioning compressors immediately below the sheet metal may have an effect.
that makes perfect sense. I tend to always land in the upper corner near my door. It may well be that there is an area some other place on the hood that can cause a problem. I won't be searching for it.

The Flux Capacitor... 😁😁

Okay, seriously. The electronic compass uses a component called a Hall Sensor to detect the earth's magnetic field. It can sense both magnitude and direction of the field vector. Away from the equator, in addition to the horizontal component, the magnetic field has a normal (pointing to the center of the earth) component as well.

Knowing the location of the drone (GPS), it can compare the field vector magnitude, and it's normal and parallel components to what they should be. If there's enough deviation, you get the interference warning.

The shape, size, composition, etc. of an object causing interference is mostly irrelevant. All that is necessary is the weak earth's magnetic field is distorted enough that it can be detected. A tiny 4mm dia. samarium-cobalt magnet a few inches to the side will cause the same problems as trying to take off from a manhole cover.

Similarly, a large, uniform hunk of steel may interfere in such a way that the distortion in effect "cancels out" in the vector math, so doesn't cause a problem.

Agree with the 1 Neo Magnet is all it takes to hammer the Compass .

With that said I have purposely tried to get Magnetic Intereference warning but the best I can do do is Compass Calibration which just takes a Restart without having to move the drone like in the old days.

The New Technology that DJI is using means a better experience for flying from or inside a car.
Not only that but I no longer have use for the Alien Dual Attenna on anythig past the Air 2 .

So from all my flights , magnets are really the only true source of Kryptonite for the drone.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

It seems like the bottom line is this.
  • The nature of compass interference is difficult to predict, but can't be ignored.
  • The consequences of flying with a biased compass can be severe - uncontrollable flight.
  • Before taking off, the compass function should always be verified on the map by comparing the orientation of the drone symbol to known directions.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13