Range limitations CE and FCC... going over?

Discussion in 'Mavic Pro Discussions' started by Fredo, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Fredo

Fredo Active Member

Does anyone (talking to european resident) tried to go over the CE range limitations that we have on last DJI drones.
    I mean in FCC country with a Mavic you can fly 4.3 Miles (7Km) away, theorically.
    In European country, the rules limit the controller power to a distance of 2.5 Miles (4km). Yep... that suck.

For information and after some search it look like it's a GPS based limitation. If your GPS position is under CE rules appliance, your controller power is limited, if your GPS position is under FCC rules, your are full power and range.

If i understand good, that limitations was already applied on last phantoms 4. Does anyone tried and succeeded on going over? By a hack or phone application or whatever..

Mr Spock likes this.
  2. Mad_Angler1

Mad_Angler1 Well-Known Member

It's power output limitation not range, the specs DJI posted are the kinds of range you can expect in ideal conditions but it's been often found you can go well beyond this.

Reality is it's completely down to the locations your flying, lots of wifi around and you won't get 50% of that.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

3. Fredo

Fredo Active Member

I'm totally ok with you. It's not a range limitation but a power limitation wich finaly... limit the range.
    But the question is not how far dji tell us we can fly, and how far we can really fly.
    The question is, does someone know or have an idea on how to not being "power" limited when flying in European Communauty.

I'm not an offender or criminal. My thought is that i find this european limitation too restrictive and unfounded.
    Tell me why it's more secure to fly your drone 4km away than 7km away ? In both you are out of view, and from a long time.

I had an idea, not the best, but just for a try.
    As this limitation is based on your current GPS localisation (GPS position is in Europe: power reduced)
    Is it possible to desactivate totally the GPS reception in controller menu? Like we are flying indoor, but being out.
    I know you will lose all incredible functionalities the Mavic have (RTH, map, speed, altitude...) but it's just a way of work. ;-)

4. Guest

Guest Well-Known Member

I think that the down feed link (from Mavic to RC for things like telemetry and video feed) is also limited!
    So only "fooling" the RC to get more TX power will not be enough.

5. 4wd

4wd Well-Known Member

On CE mode both Phantom 3 and 4 will easily go further than DJI suggest - in ideal conditions.
    I'd be surprised if we don't see the same with Mavic - like the phantoms the battery will be more of a limit than radio range in open areas.
    It would be pretty unusual to want to go more than 4km other than to see if you could.

6. mimoid

mimoid Member

The new proposed European EASA rules will make the 4 km range a dream... the proposition is hardware enforced limitations of max 100 meters range with a max altitude of 50 meters... If that is true, it's not so much fun any more. Let's hope we can keep to the current LOS + 120 meters GND.

/// Tom

#6 mimoid, Nov 2, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  7. Guest

Guest Well-Known Member

Remember this?

If it happens, DJI will be forced to push this update to all CE devices where applicable!

8. Fredo

Fredo Active Member

What will we do with a 1000€ aircraft wich can fly 50m high and 100m far ?
    I don't know where our hobby is going... but i don't like the way it take!

9. Guest

Guest Well-Known Member

Please note that this rule is only a proposal!

10. mimoid

mimoid Member

Well, in Sweden the government made things really easy by simply outlawing all camera equipped drones in Swedish airspace. Problem solved.

So flying my Phantom (and soon to arrive Mavic) is now considered a crime, like drug dealing, burglary, arsen, rape or homicide.

Since I have never been a criminal before, it is all a bit new to me and I am not sure about the correct procedures... do I need to be wearing a Guy Fawkes mask?

/// Tom

#10 mimoid, Nov 3, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  11. Fredo

Fredo Active Member

Incredible.
    Now I just hope others European countries will not copy Sweden!

Sent from my A0001 using MavicPilots mobile app

12. DarkEnergy

DarkEnergy Member

It is my understanding that the radio power limitation of 100mW in UK is general to all common use radio equipment such as two-way radios, WiFi hubs, etc.

13. chippie

chippie Well-Known Member

Maybe a stocking over your head. I would not mind that, what are house prices like there? :D

14. scooot

scooot Member

How much of a concern is this?.I have preordered the mavic.
    Would it be wise to wait and see how this pans out or like a lot of proposals we could be talking years or even never?.

Cheers Scott

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

15. Fredo

Fredo Active Member

In fact, power limitations is regulated and depend of the frequency. For example, Free two way radios like PMR (446Mhz) is limited to 500mw. LPD (433Mhz) is limited to 10mW. Ham radio operators in HF band (0 - 30Mhz) is limited to 1500W in most countries. For the 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi it's also limited by local regulations, in Europe it's 100mW, in coutries under FCC rules... it's up to 1W. For 5.5Ghz it's up to 200mW...
    Anyway... power limitations are very complicate and depend of your local regulations and equipment you are using (antenna gain).
    Some search on google can teach you a lot.

Few links below:
    FCC Rules and Regulations | AIR802 | 2.4 & 5 GHz Bands
    Wi-Fi - Wikipedia

The Editor likes this.
  16. DarkEnergy

DarkEnergy Member

My point concerns the UK limitations only, no need of a patronizing answer.

17. The Editor

The Editor Well-Known Member

This is an English speaking forum and as such the rules request you post in English.
    If that is not your first language, please do your best or use one of the many online translators.

18. mimoid

mimoid Member

I think it will take several years before we have a set of common European regulations in place for UAV's. Mind you, flying with ultralight manned aircraft is still nationally regulated, even after so many years.

I think you can safely fly your Mavic and its successors for several years to come. I also think that the advertised 4 km range is actually plenty. It takes a considerable time to fly that far out and back again (especially in windy conditions), and the battery will be always a limiting factor.

/// Tom

#18 mimoid, Nov 5, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
    scooot likes this.
  19. turrior

turrior Member

How to change fcc ce? . In drone mavic. Thanks a greeting from the Canary Islands

20. turrior

turrior Member

How to change fcc ce? . In drone mavic. Thanks a greeting from the Canary Islands