DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Received a Hanatora Charger/Discharger today- A few questions, please?

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
I learned a lot from one or more of the other threads discussing battery care and maintenance. I did not know that batteries were to be stored in a partially discharged state when not needed in a near immediate time frame. I know you can program the batteries to auto-discharge, but it appeared to me that if you needed to get discharged batteries back up in a hurry, the standard charger that comes with the fly more kit only charges one at a time. I thought that if I had two chargers I could get back up to full strength in just a matter of minutes, not hours. Also, I wanted a more controlled way to discharge and store batteries. Hence the purchase of the Hantora Charger/Discharger.

When it arrived I was petty impressed by how robust it is built. It actually provides information as to the voltage and amperage as it's charging. And unlike the DJI charger all the batteries *seem* to be "actively' charging as opposed to the DJI charger where only one battery flashes its condition at a time until it's charged, then another battery starts flashing. And so a couple questions, please....

1) Does the Hanatora charger actually charge multiple batteries simultaneously?

2) If so, presuming the same amount of discharge when plugged in, would they charge at the same rate as if only one battery were installed in the charger?

3) I know the discharge mode will take batteries down to 0% which I understand should be done about every 20 cycles. But after fully discharged, you need to bring it up to 50% until ready to fly again. What mode is that done in? Blue (storage) mode?

4) What is the best way to use the Blue (storage) mode?

Thanks in advance for entertaining my questions.

I learned a lot from one or more of the other threads discussing battery care and maintenance. I did not know that batteries were to be stored in a partially discharged state when not needed in a near immediate time frame. I know you can program the batteries to auto-discharge, but it appeared to me that if you needed to get discharged batteries back up in a hurry, the standard charger that comes with the fly more kit only charges one at a time. I thought that if I had two chargers I could get back up to full strength in just a matter of minutes, not hours. Also, I wanted a more controlled way to discharge and store batteries. Hence the purchase of the Hantora Charger/Discharger.

When it arrived I was petty impressed by how robust it is built. It actually provides information as to the voltage and amperage as it's charging. And unlike the DJI charger all the batteries *seem* to be "actively' charging as opposed to the DJI charger where only one battery flashes its condition at a time until it's charged, then another battery starts flashing. And so a couple questions, please....

2) If so, presuming the same amount of discharge when plugged in, would they charge at the same rate as if only one battery were installed in the charger?

3) I know the discharge mode will take batteries down to 0% which I understand should be done about every 20 cycles. But after fully discharged, you need to bring it up to 50% until ready to fly again. What mode is that done in? Blue (storage) mode?

1) Yes

2)You can charge up to 2 batteries at full 3A power After that the 6amps will be split between all the batteries. Note the the original charger charges at 3.5 amps so if you only have one battery to charge it will charge faster on the original charger than the one you bought. This is typical of multi chargers.

3) Charge all the way to 100% after a cycle.

4) This really isn’t necessary because they don’t lose charge even after months at storage voltage. Having them plugged in for long enough for this to matter seems more like a fire hazard than the benefit you’d get from it.

Last edited:
@brett8883 Thank you for your succinct and direct answers. This is really good news. I have only 3 batteries at this time, so if what you're telling me is so, I can charge 2 on the Hanatora and one on the DJI charger essentially getting three simultaneous charges.

As for #3, are you saying that after discharging to 0% recharge back to 100%... then discharge again to 50% until just before I'm ready to fly again?

Other than having a complet understanding of #3 I think you've explained the rest very well. Thanks.

@brett8883 Thank you for your succinct and direct answers. This is really good news. I have only 3 batteries at this time, so if what you're telling me is so, I can charge 2 on the Hanatora and one on the DJI charger essentially getting three simultaneous charges.

As for #3, are you saying that after discharging to 0% recharge back to 100%... then discharge again to 50% until just before I'm ready to fly again?

Other than having a complet understanding of #3 I think you've explained the rest very well. Thanks.

for #3 - The M2 batteries auto discharge as you mentioned, I'd just let it discharge automatically after the full charge from zero. Using the Hanatora to discharge to the maintenance level is not necessary as the batteries do this themselves.

Last edited:
for #3 - The M2 batteries auto discharge as you mentioned, I'd just let it discharge automatically after the full charge from zero. Using the Hanatora to discharge to the maintenance level is not necessary as the batteries do this themselves.

Li-ion batteries die after 2-3 years anyway

Is there a default setting that the batteries are set on when new for auto-discharge? Do you recommend "topping off" batteries before going out to fly?

Is there a default setting that the batteries are set on when new for auto-discharge? Do you recommend "topping off" batteries before going out to fly?

Yes, I always recharge/ top-off batteries to 100% before flying, you never know when your going to need the extra battery capacity.
Auto discharge according to the manual is to below 60%

1597806323516.png

Yes you can discharge down to 50% after that if you’d like.

If I recall well, the last firmware update change the discharge from 10 days to 3 (or 2?). I know that the number of days for discharge are less...

What I do with my multi-charger is when I get home from flying, I put the batteries in the multi-charger and just charge them to the storage level.

When I next go flying, I fully charge them the night before as I usually fly early in the morning to avoid winds.

1 -yes, it charges all batteries at the same time. It takes about the same time as it took to charge 1 battery with the DJI provided charger. Only difference is that you can charge up to 4 in the same time, which is super cool for faster flying. I used to spend about 6+ hours charging before my weekend, now less than 2 total. 2- all batteries charge together, but at different rates, I think based an current charge level, and maybe individual battery characteristics ( I have one battery that charges at a lower amperage regardless of the port I use). the rate fluctuates throughout. they all stop charging fairly close to each other. 3,4 -yes blue. turn on charger, hit select button till blue is lit. turn on battery and then install on charger. charger will automatically charge/discharge each battery to storage levels. its done when blinking red battery indicator light on top is steady green

1 -yes, it charges all batteries at the same time. It takes about the same time as it took to charge 1 battery with the DJI provided charger. Only difference is that you can charge up to 4 in the same time, which is super cool for faster flying. I used to spend about 6+ hours charging before my weekend, now less than 2 total. 2- all batteries charge together, but at different rates, I think based an current charge level, and maybe individual battery characteristics ( I have one battery that charges at a lower amperage regardless of the port I use). the rate fluctuates throughout. they all stop charging fairly close to each other. 3,4 -yes blue. turn on charger, hit select button till blue is lit. turn on battery and then install on charger. charger will automatically charge/discharge each battery to storage levels. its done when blinking red battery indicator light on top is steady green
This is an old thread, but for those just reading it, the one thing that was not obvious was that THE BATTERY ITSELF TURNS ON AND OFF! I've never experience that before. Usually a battery's power flow are passive and regulated through the device it is attached to. So essentially when you plug it into your Mavic 2 you turn the battery on, which then activates the drone rather than the other way around with most other devices. This applies to the discharge features of the Hanatora charger as well. While it is probably stated in the instructions, I didn't notice that. Perhaps it should have been more prominent in the instructions? Anyway, while I haven't yet had to use the discharge feature on the charger I now know how it works. I love the charger and in conjunction with my DJI charger I can get 3 batteries charged up, ready to go in no time.

This is the first I hear of cycling batteries to 0%. Can someone provide link regarding this ?

Theres a video that states the smart batteries dont function well in proper discharging, and DJI states after 20-20 charge cycles you should drain them down to 0% then either bring them back to storage level or full charge for a flight ? Sorry Im new to DJI, I migrated over from Yuneec ( which I still love my 520, H+, and others, just had to see what the 2s was all about which hasnt disappointed. I can only et the blue light (storage mode) on the charger which I'm not sure is doin that ? But that you for the response

Theres a video that states the smart batteries dont function well in proper discharging, and DJI states after 20-20 charge cycles you should drain them down to 0% then either bring them back to storage level or full charge for a flight ? Sorry Im new to DJI, I migrated over from Yuneec ( which I still love my 520, H+, and others, just had to see what the 2s was all about which hasnt disappointed. I can only et the blue light (storage mode) on the charger which I'm not sure is doin that ? But that you for the response
Are you sure it's down to (0%)? IIRC it was suggested down to 8-10% because taking a LiPo to 0% could lead to irreparable damage.

Are you sure it's down to (0%)? IIRC it was suggested down to 8-10% because taking a LiPo to 0% could lead to irreparable damage.
On most DJI drones 0% in the display does not mean the battery is completely discharged and dead. It has protection that prevents it to be totally empty. But if you discharge the battery until it shows 0%, and then put it in storage for a longer period, it will be irreparably damaged.
My Hanatora charger has a discharge function that shuts off automatically when it reaches a certain voltage, or actually the battery stops the discharging as a self-protection. DJI recommends doing a complete discharge > charge cycle once in a while to keep the battery fit.

On most DJI drones 0% in the display does not mean the battery is completely discharged and dead. It has protection that prevents it to be totally empty. But if you discharge the battery until it shows 0%, and then put it in storage for a longer period, it will be irreparably damaged.
My Hanatora charger has a discharge function that shuts off automatically when it reaches a certain voltage, or actually the battery stops the discharging as a self-protection. DJI recommends doing a complete discharge > charge cycle once in a while to keep the battery fit.

While your data is correct, I stand by my original post. Do you (or anyone else) have the documentation from DJI stating taking it down to 0%? The fact is taking it to 0% (even in just the software) is getting into the "Danger Zone" in terms of battery health and DJI, IIRC never stated 0%.

It was said the smart battery cant get to 0% bein a smart battery it wont let it ? Sorry I'm just takin all this in, besides u can get new batteries for like $45 bucks so no major loss needless to say I just wont play. I just look back when I first got my H+ and kept them fully charged til I learned that was destroying them, so tryin to avoid that mistake but they're cheap enough now ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olab