DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Recently switched to mavic - enjoying it after 1 year of struggle!

Yaros

Reactions
Hello, I made some other posts on this forum already, but this one is an interesting one in my opinion, it's how I got here in the first place.

In December 2020 I decided I wanted a drone, and made a huge mistake: I bought a cheap DIY F450 kit on AliExpress. Got it, assembled, bought a LiPo and went flying, I mean crashing. Without proper knowledge of how to set it up I made many mistakes - didn't set failsafe, used manual mode instead of GPS stabilized, put the propellers the other way around...
Yes, I knew how to solder, connect, firmware update the controller, but I was lacking basic drone knowledge.
Crashed it - fixed it. Replaced motors, props and frame. Finally, learned how to set up GPS mode, RTH, Failsafe and many more cool stuff, even got it into flying autonomous missions.
Still it was lacking some important aspects of a drone: gimbal and live view (or FPV).
Bought FPV transmitter and FPV OTG phone receiver, got it working with my action cam.
Flown it for a while and understood I needed a gimbal, bought it, and what would you think - more issues! Now the drone weighted too much, the motors overheated, and it fell.
Bought another frame (S500) and telemetry module - got scammed on the telemetry, it didn't arrive, however the frame was pretty good.
Mounted it together and went flying. All good except two things again - flight time and video quality. Video quality was kinda ok, but flight time definitely not, it was 4 minutes!
After making some more improvements I got it flying for 7 minutes, not much still but at least better than 4... Struggled some more on stabilizing video in premiere for 2 hours per 5 minutes of video and so on...
Another issue was that the drone was freaking giant, a little smaller than the inspire 2, very big for a DIY drone. It also weighted 1.5 kg.

In August 2021 I thought: screw it, I'm going and buying a mavic - and yet it was the best decision of mine when it comes to drones.
Bought the Mavic Air 2 Fly More Combo at a local store here in Mallorca, Spain.
Took it for a flight right the same day two times - one during day, the other one at night.
The 25ish minute flight time seemed like an eternity for me after the 6-7 minutes with my big drone.
I can mention that I made some stupid & illegal flights with it the first month, like flying it 6.4 km away or 500 m high. Not doing that anymore, very scary...
Now I'm very happy with the mavic - very stable and good drone for its price!

The takeaway/conclusion:
So was it a bad experience at first? Yes, but it gave me basic knowledge and made me learn more when it comes to drones and their batteries. For example how to take care of LiPos, flying in ATTI mode (if necessary some day) and how the drone works in the first place. Said that I still think that for a complete beginner like me definitely NOT a good idea to make a DIY drone like that, better buy something like the mavic mini 2, especially mentioning that the DIY drone costed me around $800 in total, almost twice as much as two mavic minis!

Hello from the Crossroads of America Yaros.

Cheap drones are easy to crash.

DJI drones are easy to fly. :)

Welcome to the Forum. 😎

Welcome to the forum. We look forward to your participation and your view of the world

Welcome to the forum from the dry lakeless hills of Lake City FL. An irony... I know. If lakes grew here as much as your knowledge will, Lake City would become an ocean. ;)

Welcome again!

Welcome to the MP forum from Sunny Somerset UK 🇬🇧

I've built some drones previously, after a steep learning curve setting everything up they flew very well but of course no sensors so had to be very careful to pilot every manoeuvre but fell back on my RC experience which was a good base for learning to fly multi rotors 😉

Last edited:
Welcome to the MP forum from Sunny Somerset UK 🇬🇧

I've built some drones previously, after a steep learning curve setting everything up they flew very well but of course no sensors so had to be very careful to pilot every manoeuvre but fell back on my RC experience which was a good base for learning to fly multi rotors 😉
It's definitely not a bad experience when you get into it and understand most of the stuff, but me being a newbie at that time it didn't help to try to learn everything about RC at the same time :)

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup

Hello, I made some other posts on this forum already, but this one is an interesting one in my opinion, it's how I got here in the first place.

In December 2020 I decided I wanted a drone, and made a huge mistake: I bought a cheap DIY F450 kit on AliExpress. Got it, assembled, bought a LiPo and went flying, I mean crashing. Without proper knowledge of how to set it up I made many mistakes - didn't set failsafe, used manual mode instead of GPS stabilized, put the propellers the other way around...
Yes, I knew how to solder, connect, firmware update the controller, but I was lacking basic drone knowledge.
Crashed it - fixed it. Replaced motors, props and frame. Finally, learned how to set up GPS mode, RTH, Failsafe and many more cool stuff, even got it into flying autonomous missions.
Still it was lacking some important aspects of a drone: gimbal and live view (or FPV).
Bought FPV transmitter and FPV OTG phone receiver, got it working with my action cam.
Flown it for a while and understood I needed a gimbal, bought it, and what would you think - more issues! Now the drone weighted too much, the motors overheated, and it fell.
Bought another frame (S500) and telemetry module - got scammed on the telemetry, it didn't arrive, however the frame was pretty good.
Mounted it together and went flying. All good except two things again - flight time and video quality. Video quality was kinda ok, but flight time definitely not, it was 4 minutes!
After making some more improvements I got it flying for 7 minutes, not much still but at least better than 4... Struggled some more on stabilizing video in premiere for 2 hours per 5 minutes of video and so on...
Another issue was that the drone was freaking giant, a little smaller than the inspire 2, very big for a DIY drone. It also weighted 1.5 kg.

In August 2021 I thought: screw it, I'm going and buying a mavic - and yet it was the best decision of mine when it comes to drones.
Bought the Mavic Air 2 Fly More Combo at a local store here in Mallorca, Spain.
Took it for a flight right the same day two times - one during day, the other one at night.
The 25ish minute flight time seemed like an eternity for me after the 6-7 minutes with my big drone.
I can mention that I made some stupid & illegal flights with it the first month, like flying it 6.4 km away or 500 m high. Not doing that anymore, very scary...
Now I'm very happy with the mavic - very stable and good drone for its price!

The takeaway/conclusion:
So was it a bad experience at first? Yes, but it gave me basic knowledge and made me learn more when it comes to drones and their batteries. For example how to take care of LiPos, flying in ATTI mode (if necessary some day) and how the drone works in the first place. Said that I still think that for a complete beginner like me definitely NOT a good idea to make a DIY drone like that, better buy something like the mavic mini 2, especially mentioning that the DIY drone costed me around $800 in total, almost twice as much as two mavic minis!
Welcome to Mavic Pilots from Dayton Ohio USA! Fly safe and have fun!

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama, welcome to the forum! Moved your post to Mavic 2 Disscussion.

Reactions: Yaros and dirkclod

Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA. We have a Member's Map in the Upper Right of the Title Bar.

So, I think that you have and are flying the Mavic Air 2, if so, below is the link to all of the downloads offered by DJI for the Mavic Air 2, including the User Manual.

After you read the Manual, read it again, you will be surprised what you missed the first time and you will be better prepared for that first "scary moment…"

Happy, Safe and Legal Droning…

Reactions: Yaros
Welcome to the forum from the dry lakeless hills of Lake City FL. An irony... I know. If lakes grew here as much as your knowledge will, Lake City would become an ocean. ;)

Welcome again!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
devilsown