DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Reckless flying- what are your thoughts?

Are you saying VLOS rules have changed over the last few years?

Before the NEW rules for hobbyist it was a "Guideline"... .it's now codified into LAW.... so in short yes they have for hobby operations.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thomas B
OK guys I just deleted several post that were OT and not necessary .If I got yours and it wasn't I'm sorry .
Lets keep this Drone related from here out.
Thanks .

Reactions: Thomas B
I don't see it listed above, but NURK is the pilot in that train video. He's a phenomenal pilot, and was on his way home from a win (Vegas I believe, but may be wrong) and stopped to fly.

I'm not condoning what he did, and don't really find it unsafe. But it wasn't very smart. Especially when he "taunted" the Engineer. Although the Engineer's response was classic.

I do know that the FAA called and pretty much said, "Mr. NURK that was nice flying. Please don't do it again."

Reactions: Imagineimagery
Personally, I think negative press gives the impression that 'reckless' flying is on the increase but the reality is that most of us fly responsibly.
I'm fairly certain that most pilots here fly responsibly always, but like anything in this world there is always the minority that screw it up for the majority.

Drones/quads/UAS/UAVs whatever you want to call them do a lot of good out there in the wild world but it is rare to hear those stories. The media generally always report the negative aspects, but rarely the positive.

I wouldn't venture a guess because I can't see anything to help either way.
A couple of things to consider include what constitutes reckless flying?
(one dictionary definition is: marked by lack of proper caution : careless of consequences)
What's the current level of reckless flying and how could you tell if there was an increase?
How about drunk people flying a drone from a boat and buzzing other boats. Haven’t seen a “reck” from it but a few near misses.

Reactions: Clipper707
I witnessed some reckless drone flying while at an event yesterday evening. Setting aside that he's busting Class D airspace (because I am a volunteer there and hold their airspace use authorization), he was flying less than 1 ft. or 2 ft. over people. I could tell he was routinely slamming the controls as his drone was flying around the field ... not more than 1 ft. or 2 ft. over people. I approached him, asked how he was doing, and let him know that I see him flying over people and that getting cut by props hurt a lot. He claims to have the license (which I have a hard time believing, because if he is FAA-certified, he should know about 107.39). Unfortunately, I did not get through to him.

So, a few questions for the community ...
a. Any feedback on how I handled this with him?
b. Are recreational pilots also required to report property damage over $500 or injuries requiring an overnight stay at a hospital?
c. What other "facts" should I bring up?

More than one person can hold a 107.41. So just becuase you hold one doesn't mean others don't.

Without any evidence (name, video of him actually flying recklessly) there isn't much you can do.

You did the best you could do under the circumstances. If someone won't listen, there isn't anything else you can do. You could have found security and notified them.

As far as feedback, it sounds like you did the best you could. If the future get all of the evidence file a report with FSDO. They want us to let them know if we know of any reckless flights.

Recreational pilots are not required to report, as far as I know that is a 107 requirement. Someone else may know differently.

Reactions: BigAl07
More than one person can hold a 107.41. So just becuase you hold one doesn't mean others don't.

Without any evidence (name, video of him actually flying recklessly) there isn't much you can do.

You did the best you could do under the circumstances. If someone won't listen, there isn't anything else you can do. You could have found security and notified them.

As far as feedback, it sounds like you did the best you could. If the future get all of the evidence file a report with FSDO. They want us to let them know if we know of any reckless flights.

Recreational pilots are not required to report, as far as I know that is a 107 requirement. Someone else may know differently.

Hello Vic and welcome sir :)

No requirements for hobby to report although it's a good idea just in case (IMHO).

If I were in your shoes I would have made some video of the horrible flying and approached the operator as if I were interested in "hiring" him. I wouldn't outright lie to him but I would be complementary long enough to get his contact information and then create an "educational moment". If that didn't go well then I would be much more inclined to make contact with the FAA to let them in on the situation and let them investigate.

My 2 cents :)

I would have made some video of the horrible flying and approached the operator as if I were interested in "hiring" him. I wouldn't outright lie to him but I would be complementary long enough to get his contact information and then create an "educational moment". If that didn't go well then I would be much more inclined to make contact with the FAA to let them in on the situation and let them investigate.

You'd make a good detective BigAl, very clandestine and realistic way to get to a reportable position.

You'd make a good detective BigAl, very clandestine and realistic way to get to a reportable position.
Well thank you sir. Not my first rodeo lol

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
So if you have not seen this video of a guy flying around a train, you really need to see this. Not sure I find it very dangerous, although he does fly directly over someone’s head about 3 seconds into the flight, which was unnecessary. I can see how this type of video could worry people about the need for stricter flight rules. I sure did not know that drones could be maneuvered like this, could fly like this with the right fingertips. I can definitely see how this would freak people out who thought most drones were like the one they bought last Christmas.
I think this flight is legal but I’m not sure. It’s by far the raddest drone flight I’ve ever seen.

Great flying skills, 2.3 Million views......not too shabby. Drone against a train? Drone going to loose everytime

I have no idea how it would work but if the drone community could have youtube and other services yank the reckless videos where the public is put at risk.

We might be at the point where an arrest or two and FAA citations might be a good thing. That or more restrictive legislation will happen.

That train flight is some of the best drone flying I've seen. These racers are truly flying, compared to what we do with our DJI machines. I'm in awe.

We don't fly. We point and shoot.

Great flying, great video, and for the record I don’t see any real risk or danger, plenty of “what if” I concede but that’s a lot of the problem, nanny states legislating for too many “what if” (read “how to tax”) and too many sheep / self appointed police / frightened of their own shadow ... people. Fpv google flying looks immense fun and another level of skill.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danyjames_