DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Reliable distance for Mavic Pro

Would you fly the Mavic Pro 2.5 km across water, in light wind, to do a POI of a lighthouse?
It probably can do it given the specs and all, but I would advise that you don’t do it. The obvious reason is that it would violate the FAA rules for visual line of sight, and maintaining situational awareness.
On a technical basis, there could many other unpredictable hazards that could occur that result in a loss. For example, you could lose GPS control through a “compass error large” event. Going into Atti mode 1.6 miles away is not a good thing to maintain control. Then there are wind issues relative to available battery power. Etc.,etc…

I’d find some way to get within VLOS of the lighthouse to get the shot you want.

Would you fly the Mavic Pro 2.5 km across water, in light wind, to do a POI of a lighthouse?
Possible, but putting that out on a public forum is not a great idea. Drones have rules, many of them and it seems your new here and maybe to drone flying. Imperative you understand even the most basic ones - like Visual Line of Sight or VLOS. Doubtful at 2.5 km's you can visually see the drone with your eyes. No other aids other than a spotter within close proximity to you is allowed under FAA Rules.

Suggest you search the forum for links to the FAA's "TRUST" test that is now required for ALL drone pilots - rec and commercial. This test gives you some of the basics needed to stay within the rules. Just because DJI and other drone makers say a drone can fly up to 5-6 miles away - does not make it LEGAL to do so in the US.

Should you want or actually fly outside of VLOS - keep it to yourself. We have some newbies whom are pushing the envelope and while we all hate the restrictions - blatant and open disregard for them on a forum / etc is not good for any of us. Way too many local to federal governments / agencies are doing what they can to stop us from flying or restrict us to the point where it's near impossible.

Go fly, have fun doing it.

Heck yeah, I would. Program the flight as a Litchi waypoint mission, then kick back and enjoy the scenery as the designated Pilot Monitoring for the sortie. Since you are flying over water and away from people, losing signal while under Litchi control is no cause for alarm. Just refrain from aborting the mission if the control and video signals falter, and that video feed will restore itself the minute your drone is back within range.

Residing time zones distant from the nearest FAA or CAA-controlled airspace, I routinely launch my Phantoms and Mavic Pro on 6-mile round trips running over 22 minutes duration, most of which is well beyond RC signal range. Here are a couple of shots of my feathered wingman helping the drone keep a keen eye out for bogeys 3 country miles away from base.

1628610891754.jpeg

1628610949250.jpeg

Attachments

• Magpie,jpg.jpg
    Magpie,jpg.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 8
  • magpie2.jpg.jpg
    magpie2.jpg.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 10
Gentlemen:
Thanks for your answers. I have no intention of doing anything illegal. I don't know how far away I can see the drone. I gather that the drone can fly farther than the legal limit. If I have a "spotter" with binoculars can that legally extend my range?

Nor did I know that the government was so intrusive. I'll take a look at TRUST and do what is necessary.

Is there a better way to respond to those who take the time to answer my question.

Do all see what I've written above or should each respondent get a post?

Have fun. Be safe.

I do not go anywhere I can not reach down and pick up my drone. There are more drones in water than they are trees.

Gentlemen:
Thanks for your answers. I have no intention of doing anything illegal. I don't know how far away I can see the drone. I gather that the drone can fly farther than the legal limit. If I have a "spotter" with binoculars can that legally extend my range?

Nor did I know that the government was so intrusive. I'll take a look at TRUST and do what is necessary.

Is there a better way to respond to those who take the time to answer my question.

Do all see what I've written above or should each respondent get a post?

Have fun. Be safe.
We're reading your words as they are posted. Veering back to preaching the gospel of Litchi flight planning, I must add that for flight paths showing durations of 18 minutes and over on the Litchi Mission Hub map screen, the drone will arrive at the launch point 4 or 5 minutes before the estimated time of arrival. For example, a mission estimated to last for 27 minutes by Litchi, will actually result in the drone arriving at the launch point after just 22 minutes.

Finally, to ease worries about winds encountered along the flight path, Litchi constantly monitors battery life while the drone flies an autonomous mission, poised to discontinue the mission and execute a bee-line RTH if the remaining battery capacity will not suffice to complete the mission.

The signal reach of the Mavic Pro will certainly be greater out over water, so flying out to that lighthouse will be a piece of cake, provided that the estimated flight time does not exceed 27 minutes, by which time the battery power gauge will show 15%-18% remaining.

Reactions: mereflyer

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kasperskyy